slide seals pulling out.

Dshiftrv

I have had the seals replaced on one slide and now the other is pulling out of the railing that holds them in place. when I asked why its happening I was told "it just happens". I'm not interested in replacing the seals every couple of trips. any suggestions would be appreciated. Prior to having my 2018 Bighorn I had a coach for 10 years with no seal issues.

danemayer

Hi Dshiftrv,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We've got a great group of friendly and helpful people here so I'm sure you'll get some feedback shortly.

MCTalley

If you're talking about the D-shaped bulb seals, I always put a self-tapping screw just inside each end of the seals to keep them from sliding out. The factory usually does, but I've found on my current rig that wasn't necessarily the case.

wdk450

Just to add to Malcom Talley's posting (2nd time this morning), I found that the screw and small washers at the end of the D slide seals WERE in place, but the seal soft rubber pulled through the screws/washers. Years ago I came up with an improved "washer" with much more surface area (like the new shorepower connectors?). I used a small metal "mending plate" (3/8 inch size?) to use in place of the standard washer, and I could even add a 2nd self-drilling screw. mending plate.jpg

Last edited:

rocketdoc

If you're talking about the D-shaped bulb seals, I always put a self-tapping screw just inside each end of the seals to keep them from sliding out. The factory usually does, but I've found on my current rig that wasn't necessarily the case.

I have a 2014 Bighorn 3010RE. 2 of my slide out top flap-type seals are failing as well as 2 of the vertical seals of similar type but slightly narrower. I asked Heartland about purchasing the rubber seal materials but the quoted cost seemed excessive. Does anyone know where Heartland sources this rubber sealing material? I will do the replacement work myself, just need a reasonable material source.

wdk450

I have a 2014 Bighorn 3010RE. 2 of my slide out top flap-type seals are failing as well as 2 of the vertical seals of similar type but slightly narrower. I asked Heartland about purchasing the rubber seal materials but the quoted cost seemed excessive. Does anyone know where Heartland sources this rubber sealing material? I will do the replacement work myself, just need a reasonable material source.

Check this previous thread out: https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/73847-Slide-wipers-seals-replacement