No Sealant on the sides of the windows normal?

I went to check my sealant around my new to me 2017 TR 25RL and found there was none on the sides of it only a soft spongy sort of gasket behind the vinyl window frame. There's a good sealant on the top, but not on the sides. I haven't noticed any leaks, so I'm guessing this is normal?

danemayer

Hi NeverThrottled,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Typically the sealant is applied to top and sides, but not to the bottom.

Hi NeverThrottled,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Typically the sealant is applied to top and sides, but not to the bottom.

Thanks! That's what I thought too. There's none on the sides at all. Should I put some non-sag sealant along the sides? Could they have overlooked this?

That sponge rubber should be closed cell window seal. Glass shops use it for some installations. If you have removed the window enough to see the seal tape, you can add a bead of butyl rubber sealant. That is also used by glass shops.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Devil-06...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000LGCEES

I have some non-leveling Dicor sealant that looks similar to this on hand. I didn't have to remove the window though, you can just peek in and see the closed cell window seal (pretty sure you're right about that being what it is).

I think I'll just keep a close eye on it for it now, I know I'd make quite a mess trying to do all the windows with this stuff and it seems to be intentional.