Denver to Durango

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
any advise on what route to take from Denver to Durango the first week in September pulling a 42' Bighorn

danemayer

I frequently take 285 from Fairplay south thru Poncha Springs and Saguache to 112 into Del Norte. West on 160 through South Fork ad Over Wolf Creek Pass. Keep your speed low going down the west slope of Wolf Creek pass. If you don't have disc brakes, keep it to 35. 160 thru Pagosa Springs and into Durango.

I haven't been on 285 between Denver and Fairplay, so perhaps someone can comment on that leg.

Gary521

Denver to Fairplay is OK. There is one not too bad grade going into a Bailey and also not bad grades over Kenosha pass. The alternative route is to take I-25 south and then US 160 west. ( which still takes you over Wolf Creek pass )

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]In September, I would take US 285. The scenery will be fantastic. Kenosha pass is not a high pass. As you come over this, you come onto South Park, which is a vast valley. This is the South Park from the animated series on TV. Eventually, you will come to the outskirts of the town of Buena Vista. From there as you head south, the Collegiate range will be on your right. This is a series of 14,000ft peaks. Beautiful.[/FONT]

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
285 from Denver to Buena Vista, then south on Hwy 24 to Salida (Hwy 50), then west to Montrose, then south on Hwy 550 to Durango.

Awesome drive...especially that time of year!

danemayer

550 South from Ouray to Silverton on the way to Durango is the Million Dollar Highway. Not for the faint of heart.