DETERMINED: 2014 3260EL Bighorn - Melted plastic cover in basement

GregBassine

Hello to All,

I went to clean out the basement in our 2014 Bighorn 3260EL, getting it ready for a soon to be road trip... I noticed something really weird.

The plastic shroud which covers the hot, cold and waste drain for our bathroom sink had a huge hole caused by melting (please see pics). Other than the 3 hoses, there are no other wires, ect. under the shroud. I did hook a hose and run water in the sink to make sure there were no leaks.

We had no fluids in the RV other than winterized RV antifreeze which we've used many times before. Directly underneath the melted shroud was our dog's canvas kennel and pad. Beneath those were two heavy plastic storage bins. Nothing inside the basement was flamable with exception of a small propane tank, but that was away from the melted area.

2014 Bighorn 3260EL - Basement Waterline Cover Melt - 1.jpg2014 Bighorn 3260EL - Basement Waterline Cover Melt - 2.jpg2014 Bighorn 3260EL - Basement Waterline Cover Melt - 3.jpg

I took everything out of the basement and it all looks fine. OK sleuths.... your help? I am completely baffled and would (as always) appreciate any help you can share.

Thanks in advance,

Char & Greg

sengli

Re: 2014 3260EL Bighorn - Melted plastic cover in basement

That is really strange. We had our 3260 for like five years never saw anything like this? Is it a possibility it was like this before, and you didnt notice?

mlpeloquin

Looks like it may have been heated from the out side. If it were from the inside, you would see a lot of deformed plastic on the sides. I have melted plastic before with a high heat gun for RC airplane modifications.

GregBassine

Did you possibly put the hot BBQ back in the basement a bit to soon ?

Jerrod

Here's the rub; I didn't put anything in that had any heat source with it. We have a gas campfire, but it is 3 feet away from this, and I never put anything remotely hot inside the basement. It's just weird!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Were you using any cleaning solvents that may have collected inside the cover? To me, it looks like solvent melting, not heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregBassine

That is really strange. We had our 3260 for like five years never saw anything like this? Is it a possibility it was like this before, and you didnt notice?

No, It was not like this before. We bought it new and have loaded and unloaded the basement many times. I would have noticed it. Wish it was that simple <sigh>.

- - - Updated - - -

Were you using any cleaning solvents that may have collected inside the cover? To me, it looks like solvent melting, not heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No cleaning solvents. Only thing we put in our lines is RV antifreeze for the traps. We blow out the water lines. I agree, it does look like it was dissolved rather than melted though.

CDN

B and B

I would check the Hot Water fitting under the tap. If it was loose and when on electric and gas the hot water is way above scalding point till they turn off. I have had my facets loosen off after tightening in my new Landmark. Just a thought.

LBR

I agree with the solvent/liquid melting idea.

Have you or the Mrs ever had a spill of toliet bowl cleaner, bleaches, etc in that cabinet after a day of travel? Possibly could have run down the drain and water pipes hole into that plastic shroud, puddled there and melted thru?

Years ago I remember reading that 2 common household cleaning chemicals together could result in a caustic mixture....seems like one was a certain brand toliet bowl cleaner and some another liquid together could actually become either very caustic smelling or explosive when used together in the toliet. Maybe I dreamt this?.....gotta go Google it now...lol

GregBassine

I would check the Hot Water fitting under the tap. If it was loose and when on electric and gas the hot water is way above scalding point till they turn off. I have had my facets loosen off after tightening in my new Landmark. Just a thought.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I would imagine there would be a lot of water spilled as a result of that being true, yes? Hooked up city water and ran for a while and no leaks (so far, keeping fingers crossed).

Could the heat spread there without water leaking?

danemayer

Water heater thermostat is typically set to 130 (F), or possibly 140. The Emergency Cutoff sensor, in case of thermostat failure, should open the circuit at 180 (F) and require a manual reset. So getting water over 180 (F) seems unlikely. I don't know the spec on that plastic, but melting somewhere between 130 and 180 (F) is not my first choice of explanations.

Looks chemical to me.

GregBassine

Water heater thermostat is typically set to 130 (F), or possibly 140. The Emergency Cutoff sensor, in case of thermostat failure, should open the circuit at 180 (F) and require a manual reset. So getting water over 180 (F) seems unlikely. I don't know the spec on that plastic, but melting somewhere between 130 and 180 (F) is not my first choice of explanations.

Looks chemical to me.

Thanks for the feedback. I would agree with you with respect to chemical, however we use zero chemicals in our water / drain system. Anything we would use is natural and non-toxic.

GregBassine

WE HAVE AN ANSWER! Upon further investigation, we noticed this cover, covered the bathroom hot, cold and drain pipes. Someone (I'm not going to mention who) stores cleaning chemicals in the cabinet under the sink, and some of the lids on those chemicals were not screwed on tight. Well, one turned over and ran down into the hole where the lines enter from the basement to the sink. The chemicals pooled up and dissolved the plastic cover. Case solved. Glad to hear it wasn't something way worse. Point of caution; if you store chemicals under the bathroom (or any ) sink, please make sure your chemicals remain upright and lids tightly closed.

LBR

WE HAVE AN ANSWER! Upon further investigation, we noticed this cover, covered the bathroom hot, cold and drain pipes. Someone (I'm not going to mention who) stores cleaning chemicals in the cabinet under the sink, and some of the lids on those chemicals were not screwed on tight. Well, one turned over and ran down into the hole where the lines enter from the basement to the sink. The chemicals pooled up and dissolved the plastic cover. Case solved. Glad to hear it wasn't something way worse. Point of caution; if you store chemicals under the bathroom (or any ) sink, please make sure your chemicals remain upright and lids tightly closed.
Thanx for the update...nailed it!

mlpeloquin

Store chemicals, other than Windex, dish soap, hand cream, mouth wash, in a sealed tub in the basement storage. The tub is filled enough so that nothing can turn over. I do not want any of that strong stuff in the living compartment. Anything flammable is in the trucks tool box.

jbeletti

Thanks for circling back with the root cause.