Solution for Dometic/Norcold Ammonia Cooling Unit Problems

wdk450

Gang:
I am having some problems with decreased cooling with my 11 year old Dometic NDR-1292 refrig. This exact model is no longer made, and the substitution from Dometic would need cabinet modifications. Also, it would cost about $3000. I next looked at new cooling units from RVCoolingUnit Warehouse. Their Amish replacement would cost about $1050 and probably $250 shipping. 3rd option was replace the whole unit with a residential refrig, maybe under $500 for the refrig, but one guy posted online that it cost him over $1000 to get the old ammonia unit removed, and cabinet modified, and nothing I found came close to the Dometic's 34 inch width - More cabinet modifications.

Just surfing You Tube today I came up with an RVers video of replacing the ammonia cooling unit with a replacement cooling unit that uses a freon compressor system MADE AS AN EXACT SWAP OF THE OEM AMMONIA COOLING UNITS. These freon compressor replacements even come in either DC (12 or 24 volt) or AC powered types. You keep the old refig control board, but remove the entire old cooling unit, and swap in the new freon compressor one.

These are available from JC Refrigeration in Shipshewana, Indiana : https://jc-refrigeration.com/products/ The website has no listing of prices and shipping charges, so I filled out their contact form, and I will let you know how it comes out. But this solution would let us keep the original RV refrigerator "box" with its custom fit in the cabinetry, while modernizing it to a reliable, compressor freon cooling system.

Here is the You Tube Video I watched today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yte1V3CkDrw

sengli

I saw this vendor at a local RV show several years ago. At that time I think he was just selling the re manufactured RV ammonia type fridge guts.

avvidclif

I footnoted that website a couple of years ago for future reference. IIRC the replacement 120v unit Installed at their shop was just over $1k. Just the unit was around $800 + ship. Prices may have changed.

wdk450

I footnoted that website a couple of years ago for future reference. IIRC the replacement 120v unit Installed at their shop was just over $1k. Just the unit was around $800 + ship. Prices may have changed.

Cliff:
Thanks for the info. I will update the thread with what i find out.

Fridge is starting to behave again, refrig in the high 30's , freezer at 17. Maybe the defrosting helped. Ambient temps still near 100 degrees here.

One thing I DID LEARN in this recent flurry of RV ammonia cooling refrigerator research is the fact that simply going up mountain grades for about 10 minutes or more CAN harm your cooling system. I had looked at the postings for the ARP Refrigerator Protector System and thought it was mainly an RV refrigerator fire prevention system. Since I have spent $250 on a self deploying halon extinguisher for the outside refrigerator access, I considered the ARP system unneeded. Now I have learned that the ARP system detects the loss of fluid in the cooling system boiler due to vehicle off-level conditions, AND TURNS OFF THE HEAT SOURCES TO THE BOILER TO PREVENT COOLING SYSTEM DAMAGE AND FAILURE.
See: https://www.arprv.com/products.php

The ARP system is my next upgrade "to-do". I'll put the cooling system conversion on the wish list.

avvidclif

I saved the info because the next time this turkey hiccups the ammonia system is gone. In my RV finding a residential replacement that will fit is the problem. Most fridges are 67-68" tall and my hole is 65" absolute max.

wdk450

OK. I got a return e-mail from J C refrigeration about my inquiry on my Dometic NDR 1292. I have edited it for easier reading, and left out the section on their double absorber replacement ammonia cooling unit for the NDR-1292

"Options for the SXS Dometics: 1492/1292/1282/7732/7730/7030 etc. The new Freon/compressor cooling unit option:

Converts your existing RV ammonia absorption fridge to a residential freon/compressor fridge, (which eliminates your Lp gas and ammonia absorption system). This cooling unit is built with a compressor system and not only do you get to keep your same fridge box and controls you are used to, and there is no need to remove the RV windshield, door or window to get the old fridge out, and the new one in - nor the hassle of cutting or redoing the cabinets to make a new fridge fit. There is also no need to have your coach level anymore for the fridge, since this unit will have a freon/compressor system rather than a level sensitive ammonia absorption system. It pulls .8 Amp - 96.4W on AC - 650% less than what a normal residential fridge will pull, or 375% less than your existing gas/elect ammonia absorption unit on electric heat. And the new cooling unit in the AC option will run off a 600W inverter (it does not require pure sign wave). Or we can also do a DC 12V Compressor tapping off the 12VDC wires behind the fridge, with a 5.5A draw.

This cooling unit is designed to withstand hot humid temps and will keep your ice-cream hard with 70% faster cooling. This unit comes with a 3 year warranty with the option for an additional 3 years for $125, and it is very user friendly to work on in the field should it need it down the road. We can ship it to you on a pallet (LTL) $175 to a place of business, or $225 to a residential address.

You need approx. 8” from the back of the fridge to the outside, or 6 ½” to the inside of your sidewall for compressor clearance; it’s still possible if less space is available, and we will show you how.
You have it installed at our Shipshewana, Indiana factory for $400.

https://vimeo.com/272411080

AC Compressor $995.00 110V- 120V .8A 96.4 W 56% duty cycle @ 80F Amb
DC Compressor $1095.00 12V-24 V 5.5A 67 W 56% duty cycle @ 80F amb

This unit comes with: foam sealant, thermal mastic, foil tape, self-taping screws, LP gas plug, glass fuse, and interior frost free fin fan, basically everything needed to do the install.

JR Lambright
JC Refrigeration LLC / DutchAire Hvac LLC
6495-W 200-N
Shipshewana IN 46565
Ph 260-768-4067
jcref@centurylink.net www.jc-refrigeration.com
Open Monday – Friday/ 6am-4pm "

Emma

Hi. I'm new rver . I have a problem. Recently I [FONT=&quot]smell ammonia coming from the fridge and you notice that there are yellow stains in and around it. [/FONT]Is it my refrigerator have leaked? Should I [FONT=&quot]replace the entire unit with a brand new or refurbished unit? Thanks![/FONT]

danemayer

Hi. I'm new rver . I have a problem. Recently I smell ammonia coming from the fridge and you notice that there are yellow stains in and around it. Is it my refrigerator have leaked? Should I replace the entire unit with a brand new or refurbished unit? Thanks!

Hi Emma,

Ammonia smell and yellow stains are the symptoms of a leak in the cooling unit. It is possible to replace the cooling unit and you'll likely get some recommendations before too long.

benrobert

Ensure that the motor pool has access to fresh air. You can let the ammonia smell escape the room by opening the windows and doors. You can use an air freshener to help if you are unable to open your doors.