Slide Topper Fabric Pulled Out after 4.5 years - Warranty Replacement on the Way

danemayer

In late 2014, I replaced the slide topper fabric on all 3 slides. 4 Colorado winters of snow and ice did them in. Got the new fabric from ToughTopAwnings.com .

4-1/2 years later, the fabric is pulled away from the bead on the doorside slide. Called them this afternoon and they are shipping replacement fabric tomorrow under the 5 year warranty. Not clear why it failed, but I'm glad they're covering it under warranty.

doorside topper pic 1.jpg

Eric1234

Hi

not to hijack your thread, but I have a question. Are slide toppers worth it ? I know it’s subjective but I see many people love them or hate them.

have a good night

Eric

danemayer

Hi

not to hijack your thread, but I have a question. Are slide toppers worth it ? I know it’s subjective but I see many people love them or hate them.

have a good night

Eric
Lots of people, including me, wouldn't be without them. There are many threads expressing opinions on the subject if you care to browse.

avvidclif

I'm giving serious consideration to them. Reason being from the inside feel the top of the slide. In the summer it gets serious hot, no insulation.

david-steph2018

I'm giving serious consideration to them. Reason being from the inside feel the top of the slide. In the summer it gets serious hot, no insulation.

They also help with diverting rain from the top of slide outs. I had the covers installed when we bought our Road Warrior in Oct. 2017. We would not be without the covers.

carl.swoyer

In late 2014, I replaced the slide topper fabric on all 3 slides. 4 Colorado winters of snow and ice did them in. Got the new fabric from ToughTopAwnings.com .

4-1/2 years later, the fabric is pulled away from the bead on the doorside slide. Called them this afternoon and they are shipping replacement fabric tomorrow under the 5 year warranty. Not clear why it failed, but I'm glad they're covering it under warranty.

View attachment 62449
Could it have been an excessive amount of water collected on the topper?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Could it have been an excessive amount of water collected on the topper?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Water could have been the straw that broke the aging fabric (camel's back).

On edit - there was a pretty good hail storm in Goshen in early June. Several rigs lost their main awnings. We had damage to the truck, but the RV looked ok (except for the sewer hose). A couple of well-placed hail stones could have started the rip and gone unnoticed at the time.

Last edited:

Geodude

My three slide toppers are all rotting, which seems a bit premature as the trailer is only in its fifth year. Anyway, I'm wondering if changing the awning fabric is a DIY job. Any insights appreciated!

danemayer

My three slide toppers are all rotting, which seems a bit premature as the trailer is only in its fifth year. Anyway, I'm wondering if changing the awning fabric is a DIY job. Any insights appreciated!

I changed all 3 of mine in 2014. It's really a 2 person job with 2 ladders. There are 2 methods: one where you wind up the roller and pin it. Then slide the fabric out to the rear. The other where you pin both sides of the roller (there are separate springs as I've recently learned), and remove the roller mounting arms from their brackets. Slide the roller off the fabric, then slide the fabric out of the channel mounted to the RV side wall. I've used both methods and I'd recommend the one where you wind up the roller.

The 2nd person comes into play when guiding the fabric carefully to avoid tearing, while it's being pulled through the slots. If you visit ToughTopAwnings.com, there are links to videos.

If you're not comfortable on ladders, don't do it. And you need a pretty strong grip and good wrist strength to roll up the roller against the springs.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Water could have been the straw that broke the aging fabric (camel's back).

On edit - there was a pretty good hail storm in Goshen in early June. Several rigs lost their main awnings. We had damage to the truck, but the RV looked ok (except for the sewer hose). A couple of well-placed hail stones could have started the rip and gone unnoticed at the time.
I was thinking that might have done it Dan.
What a storm !!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk