Slide Topper Install

i4110peter

Looking to install slide toppers on our BH3160. Just wondering if anyone has done this. I know that I can have them installed for a price. I have seen the youtube videos and think I can do this with some help. Suggestions welcome.

Fox

Looking to install slide toppers on our BH3160. Just wondering if anyone has done this. I know that I can have them installed for a price. I have seen the youtube videos and think I can do this with some help. Suggestions welcome.

Yes, many have installed toppers. While not complex it's generally performed by younger, nimble folks who enjoy working on ladders - sometimes in the elements. Think roofers.
And while you may find a willing independent worker on a site like craigslist you should consider the liability aspects of their doing the job.

None of this now fits me.

ATLJOHN

My son and son in law replaced both my awning and slide topper took about 2 hours. I watched YouTube many times to see how. If you go to tough toppers they have great you tube videos. Also they sell great products as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i4110peter

Thanks for the suggestions. Also looking for opinions concerning MFGs Carefree, Dometic, and Lippert. Thanks in advance.

sengli

The guys who installed ours at the dealership were on scaffolding. I watched them during the process. The key thing is you need to find the aluminum beams in the walls to attach you rails to. There isnt a lot of meat in the 1.25" thick walls on any of these rigs. Plus the slide toppers are heavy, to lift into place. Best of luck, there is no way I would do it myself. Replacing the toppers after they have worn, is one thing. Installing them is a totally different animal.

jerryjay11

The guys who installed ours at the dealership were on scaffolding. I watched them during the process. The key thing is you need to find the aluminum beams in the walls to attach you rails to. There isnt a lot of meat in the 1.25" thick walls on any of these rigs. Plus the slide toppers are heavy, to lift into place. Best of luck, there is no way I would do it myself. Replacing the toppers after they have worn, is one thing. Installing them is a totally different animal.

Dito!

vpnman

I have the same model trailer you do - 2018 3160EL. I had Dometic slide toppers put on all 3 slides earlier this year when I had the rig in the shop for some warranty work. It was more reasonable than I expected. I ended up going with Dometic Deluxe or Premium (don't remember off hand). I believe the total installed for all 3 was around $1100 or $1200. The RV Guys in Denton TX did the install.

The one thing that surprised me is the winds seem to catch the toppers, similar to an awning. I have been told it's nothing to worry about and that they won't rip the material or rip off of the rig...

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Scott

i4110peter

I have the same model trailer you do - 2018 3160EL. I had Dometic slide toppers put on all 3 slides earlier this year when I had the rig in the shop for some warranty work. It was more reasonable than I expected. I ended up going with Dometic Deluxe or Premium (don't remember off hand). I believe the total installed for all 3 was around $1100 or $1200. The RV Guys in Denton TX did the install.

The one thing that surprised me is the winds seem to catch the toppers, similar to an awning. I have been told it's nothing to worry about and that they won't rip the material or rip off of the rig...

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Scott

Hi Scott, I would like to stay in touch with you, as we both have the same 5th wheels. My email is i4110peter@gmail.com. Don't know if you have followed my posts, but I have been through a lot of Warranty work with mine. I have also done some mods to it including just finished installing 4 6v batteries getting ready for solar. Did your electrical in the front storage look like this? I really want to clean it up. Thanks again.
Peter
20190822_110540.jpg20190822_110557.jpg

NYSUPstater

We ordered ours w/ the toppers, but frankly, tho it might be a couple hours job if doing it yourself, better off letting a RV dealer or the like do it. Parting w/ some good bucks may be difficult, but peace of mind and my safety are more important. Like another said, big toppers are heavy. Only gripe I have is that I wish they had bit more of an angle to them so water will run off VS sagging. Have learned to make sure all doors are shut and not to stand anywheres near them when being brought it. Water coming off them is like a cow peeing on a flat rock!

kkvilly

We ordered ours w/ the toppers, but frankly, tho it might be a couple hours job if doing it yourself, better off letting a RV dealer or the like do it. Parting w/ some good bucks may be difficult, but peace of mind and my safety are more important. Like another said, big toppers are heavy. Only gripe I have is that I wish they had bit more of an angle to them so water will run off VS sagging. Have learned to make sure all doors are shut and not to stand anywheres near them when being brought it. Water coming off them is like a cow peeing on a flat rock!

HI there im new to the site but came across your post. Had a suggestion for you and your slide topper. They sell medium sized foam balls like at Wal-Mart take a couple of those and put them between your topper and your roof, it will create a peak in it so the water doesn't pool.