RW 427 side patio fencing and gate not secured - need advice!

We are lucky enough to have 2 patios on our awesome RW toy hauler! Along with those patios comes the fencing and gates and one set of stairs. We placed the stairs on the rear patio, which clips into the fencing and patio itself to hold it all together nicely. The side patio does not have stairs to the fencing has nothing to clip into and is just free floating. Am I missing something? Why isn't there something for the fencing and gate to clip into just because we don't have stairs there? Help please??

BLR

We are lucky enough to have 2 patios on our awesome RW toy hauler! Along with those patios comes the fencing and gates and one set of stairs. We placed the stairs on the rear patio, which clips into the fencing and patio itself to hold it all together nicely. The side patio does not have stairs to the fencing has nothing to clip into and is just free floating. Am I missing something? Why isn't there something for the fencing and gate to clip into just because we don't have stairs there? Help please??
Don't you have the clips that you can lock the rails into, at the very edge of tailgate?

We opted for No steps on our tailgate and the rails lock in 2017 4018

Barbara

Sent from BLR Logistics

Don't you have the clips that you can lock the rails into, at the very edge of tailgate?

We opted for No steps on our tailgate and the rails lock in 2017 4018

Barbara

Sent from BLR Logistics

Nope, no clips at the gate posts, just at the corners. The stairs actually hold the gate posts in place on the rear patio but for the patio that doesn't have stairs, there are no clips. The dog was actually able to pull the entire set up in and was able to get off the patio.

david-steph2018

We have a 2018 RW 427, the rails clip in place on the corners like you are doing. Where the gate is on the side patio, on the top of the gate is a sliding lock bar. Move that toward the end of the other side of the gate. On our unit this locks the gate in place but the rails still do move about 3-5" in then stops. Same for the rear patio rails, top of gate is a sliding bar that will lock the rails in place.

Let me know if this helps. If need I will try to take a pic and send it to you. Wife had us get new phones and still trying to figure it out. :confused:

We have a 2018 RW 427, the rails clip in place on the corners like you are doing. Where the gate is on the side patio, on the top of the gate is a sliding lock bar. Move that toward the end of the other side of the gate. On our unit this locks the gate in place but the rails still do move about 3-5" in then stops. Same for the rear patio rails, top of gate is a sliding bar that will lock the rails in place.

Let me know if this helps. If need I will try to take a pic and send it to you. Wife had us get new phones and still trying to figure it out. :confused:

Thanks David for your help. We do have the sliding bar in place on the gate. It does stop it from opening and allows for that small amount of movement as you described. To make the situation worse, the right gate sits about an inch lower than the left. This allows my dog to pull the entire set up inwards and that low gate pops right open. I know that if I can find the brackets for the gate posts to clip into, that will fix it all. As of right now, we have a rock supporting that low right gate post and 2 C clamps keeping the gates attached to the decking but I was hoping for a more permanent fix.

I finally figured out how to add pictures to this site! Looks like the website posted them crooked :mad: can't figure out how to fix that.

Attachments

• IMG_4682.jpg
    IMG_4682.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4681.jpg
    IMG_4681.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Thanks David for your help. We do have the sliding bar in place on the gate. It does stop it from opening and allows for that small amount of movement as you described. To make the situation worse, the right gate sits about an inch lower than the left. This allows my dog to pull the entire set up inwards and that low gate pops right open. I know that if I can find the brackets for the gate posts to clip into, that will fix it all. As of right now, we have a rock supporting that low right gate post and 2 C clamps keeping the gates attached to the decking but I was hoping for a more permanent fix.

I finally figured out how to add pictures to this site! Looks like the website posted them crooked :mad: can't figure out how to fix that.

I'm just guessing here cuz I have never seen these before, but it looks like the fence should go on the outside of that retainer and fit inside it so it can't move in or side to side. I know that was not your original question but wanted to toss it out there.

attachment.php

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
The railing locks into the stairs. If you don't attach the stairs there is no way to secure the railing.

david-steph2018

Okay I understand what you are talking about now. I had the same situation what I did was add another plastic bushing/washer in the hinge. The hinge is held together with a short bolt. You will need a little longer bolt/nut assembly. But I found a thicker washer at Lowe's and changed the thin plastic washer out with the thicker washer. By doing this it should allow the gate to be higher on that side. Figure out how much you want to raise the gate, you may need to double the washer to get the height you want/need.
Give it a thought if it will work for you it will be a cheap fix.

- - - Updated - - -

I have not seen any brackets like what you are searching for the railing. We looked for a couple of months and the plastic washer replacement was the easiest thought I had. IF you do find the brackets please let me know where you found them.
Thanks.

I'm just guessing here cuz I have never seen these before, but it looks like the fence should go on the outside of that retainer and fit inside it so it can't move in or side to side. I know that was not your original question but wanted to toss it out there.

attachment.php

Well, one would think that for sure! We sure did, but it doesn't work. It slides right off the that black plastic piece.

The railing locks into the stairs. If you don't attach the stairs there is no way to secure the railing.

I guess this is what I was looking for. Someone to tell me that that they have the same issue and that I am not doing it wrong or missing a part. What a crappy design for the patio if you don't have the stairs! Thanks for the info!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Well if you weren't so far away I love to take a look at it and come up with something.
Post a few more pictures of your issues and lets take a swing at it.

Jerrod

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have a 2018 RW 427 with the two patios and my setup is exactly like yours.

I've had no issues but my dogs are old and no longer try to get out.

A cheap easy solution that I hesitate to suggest because it's not very substantial is just to secure the post to the stop with a zip tie. With your dog this may not be enough. I mainly responded so that you would know that your setup is like mine.