Made the nose a Yeti

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
When the DW often asks why the closets are so hot, it’s time to investigate.
To gain access I removed the closet doors and removed the partition and paneling in the closet
In the pictures you can see the poor installation of the 2 1/2” thick wool. Hardly enough to cover the space. Gaps. Flopping. Ineffective.
I tidied up the wiring. I removed the original batts and packed the space behind the framing with R15 wool batts. Used the original to fill the space between the 2x2 framing.
Replaced the paneling with 1/4” t&g cedar planks

72e432c3e55baaa05d5f8cfbd2a42385.jpg

Their work
1dce7d5b17609820f9ec8835ffaeaa37.jpg

df796c66c330add3e6452c1e0d970ed5.jpg

ce9b9a4f9e81c12524e5aa408973f04a.jpg

My work
7fa8fe8e1faa80a5eeeee279794612b1.jpg

bb832a70fe616920910678166a4823f0.jpg

I’ll finish it up tomorrow
0d9ead1423a9c87bd9d36286230a1f3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Re: Made to nose a Yeti

Nice work Lyle. I think I saw that DRV pic on Facebook that you got inspiration from. That and Nancy or course :)

Thanks for sharing this.

Fox

It's been suggested that the only dumb question is the one unasked so ...
what does

"Made to nose a Yeti mean?"

travelin2

Made to nose a Yeti

It's been suggested that the only dumb question is the one unasked so ...
what does

"Made to nose a Yeti mean?"

D*** autocorrect!!! Should be “made THE nose”. Yeti is a weather pkg offered by HL that includes more insulation, among other things” in the front and rear caps

Maybe one of the moderators will correct

travelin2

Made to nose a Yeti

Nice work Lyle. I think I saw that DRV pic on Facebook that you got inspiration from. That and Nancy or course :)

Thanks for sharing this.

JB, maybe. And this recent hot weather I guess pushed me to look into it. Porthole’s nose insulation fell off in his rig too. None are bulletproof

jbeletti

JB, maybe. And this recent hot weather I guess pushed me to look into it. Porthole’s nose insulation fell off in his rig too. None are bulletproof

Though more difficult in my TT, I need to consider doing this. The front AC thermostat is located inside a shelf pushed into the front cap over the bed and it stays HOT. As such, it never shuts off. We have to artificially set it higher than we want.

Step 1 will be a relocation of the stat. Step 2 may be a tear out of the shelving and front wall to insulate, then rebuild. Not sure I'm into a project of that size though.

travelin2

Finished the project this morning. Trimmed out the space. Added a full width more robust clothes rod and reinforced the anchor points. I didn’t reinstall the partition as it wasn’t structural.
If nothing else it smells nice!!

9308f509f570db45d06279b798f65e8f.jpg

2fd59e56dc1f46c60397af003c2c5eb6.jpg

travelin2

Though more difficult in my TT, I need to consider doing this. The front AC thermostat is located inside a shelf pushed into the front cap over the bed and it stays HOT. As such, it never shuts off. We have to artificially set it higher than we want.

Step 1 will be a relocation of the stat. Step 2 may be a tear out of the shelving and front wall to insulate, then rebuild. Not sure I'm into a project of that size though.

Demo is always the easy part, it’s how to put it all back together so it looks good!
No doubt the front cap insulation on a TT leaves something to be desired
Good luck

CoveredWagon

Finished the project this morning. Trimmed out the space. Added a full width more robust clothes rod and reinforced the anchor points. I didn’t reinstall the partition as it wasn’t structural.
If nothing else it smells nice!!

9308f509f570db45d06279b798f65e8f.jpg

2fd59e56dc1f46c60397af003c2c5eb6.jpg

)

Any thoughts on the W D cabinet. Ours gets pretty darn hot there too.

travelin2

)

Any thoughts on the W D cabinet. Ours gets pretty darn hot there too.

I filled the whole front cap area. I was able to work insulation in behind the W/D cabinet so I’m confident it’ll be cooler too

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Great job!! Thanks for sharing the process.