Curt E16 Capcity

Squirlee

This is probably gonna sound like the dumbest question ever but ... here goes anyway.

Os is the Curt E16 (16k capacity) enough capacity for a gross wr of 15,500. I’m only wondering if there is a percentage calculation to give a “safety margin” or if that is built into the hitch specs.

I have an autoslide and have used it for a few years and I like it but I can’t level my trailer. The E16 gives me enough adjustment to level it.

Thanks
S

Tool958

I’d contact Curt about it. Personally, it wouldn’t be enough margin for me to be comfortable with. Our toy hauler is rated 15,500#. With it loaded with two bikes, tools, personal things and some water in the fresh tanks, we weighed and found that we were almost 3000# overloaded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BlackT

We have a Curt E16 and pull a trailer with a weight rating of 15,500 lbs and actual loaded weight of about 13,000 lbs. We haven't had any problems with it, but in retrospect I probably should have gone with a hitch rated at 18k just for the peace of mind.

GregP

The weight that matters is your actual weight, not the rated weight. I tow a BH with a GVW of 14000lb using a 16K hitch with no problems, but I have had the rig weighed as loaded for the road, and we come in at about 13200 for the trailer, so I feel pretty comfortable with the 16K hitch. I know I won't be exceeding our present weight when hauling, so I don't need to upgrade at present. You can get a better idea of what you ACTUALLY need if you take your rig to the scales some time before going shopping for a new hitch. Remember to get it weighed fully loaded and stocked for the road.

BlackT

Correction to my previous reply - We have a Curt A16, not E16 as previously stated. Same rating, different design. I guess my memory is starting to go.