Slide not pulling in all the way

We took our trailer out this weekend and the slide wouldn't go out all the way and when we packed up to come home it wouldn't go in a the way. Has anyone ever come across an issue with the slide room cables??

danemayer

Hi Chris.benko,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'm sure you'll get some feedback shortly.

What model/floorplan/year trailer do you have?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Two the cables on our bedroom slide broke while we were traveling. A mobile tech was able to put on two new cables, but couldn’t get the slide adjusted properly. The system is incredibly intricate. There are chain adjustments and cable adjustments. The two systems have to be balanced and requires access to the motor and the cable adjusters. We are getting ours into a repair shop in a few days. Unfortunately, you’ll probably need to do the same, unless you can see something blocking the slide movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjr6150

This is the method I used after seeing another HL member did it.

• [FONT=&quot]Tools required 2 - 7/16" wrenches. Phillips screw driver (powered preferred) but not necessary.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Run the slide out[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Remove mattress[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Remove one end of each of the hydraulic supports from the bottom the bed (storage access). (you'll wish you had later if you don't)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Remove the 4 screws attaching the front half of the bed support.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Fold the front back over on the rear.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]You should now be able to see the gear drive.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]On each side of the bed frame is a short carpeted access board (vertical) that covers the mechanism outside the bed frame. There are two screws one about a couple inches in, and one next to the outside trim board. They are silver and hard to find. If you can find them great. If not pry them off and use new screws when you put them back.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]On each side of the bed is you'll see a bracket where (2) cables attach to the chain. In the center of this will be a bolt with an adjustment nut on the outside and a lock nut on the inside. Mine had come loose allowing a lot of slack in the chain. Once I tightened the nut to take up the slack I tightened the lock nut.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Where the cables attach, behind the foam blocks is an adjustment nut. The [/FONT][FONT=&quot]top cable[/FONT][FONT=&quot]is the adjustment for the bottom cable when the slide is out. Screw the nut in until you have about a 1/2" of sag on the cable.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Replace the foam blocks.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Replace the carpeted access boards[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Replace the bed shelf[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Re-install the hydraulic supports.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Re-install mattress[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Test[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Drink beverage of your choice.[/FONT]

Domi

We took our trailer out this weekend and the slide wouldn't go out all the way and when we packed up to come home it wouldn't go in a the way. Has anyone ever come across an issue with the slide room cables??

Hey Chris,

We had a very simlar issue with our 2011 NT. The problem was that the cables running the slide had become loose and the blocks were getting caught as the slide went in or out. It took me 3 times to get it right but since then I have had no issues. I highly recommend using some form of jam nut instead of the little foam locking blocks. Since I did that I have not had any issues.

Here is a link to my original post on the issue. https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/73080-2011-North-Trail-Slide-out-issue

Good luck, it is not impossible and once it is fixed you should be trouble free.

John