Working on the refrigerator part 1.

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
So, after reading numerous threads here about insulating around the top of the fridge to help keep it cool during hot days, I decided to take a look at mine.
My fridge is marketed by Dometic and the number is of the RM 1350 group. I took a peek in the bottom vent cover and was surprised (?) that the condensate drain tube wasn’t set up to drain at all but was coiled inside the compartment. Some condensate had collected in the tube (about 3 cups) so I drained it. I’m going to cut the tubing down in length and have it stick out of the bottom of the vent so it can drain freely. See pics.

33A34FD0-251C-4442-AEB5-1FAE4A2CEF6A.jpg Condensate line loops up.

A5D626D0-9C99-4A84-8FBA-3832052CAB10.jpg Draining the line.

5EAEA429-FD07-4BDE-B1F6-348D8B156AFA.jpg Maybe where the drain should go?

Tomorrow, I’ll look at the top, where I expect there will need some work done.

Gary521

Sometimes there is a container of some type that the condensate drains in to. This is an evaporator cup. On a former trailer, I added this drain container. If the condensate tube hangs outside, the sun will eventually deteriorate this tube. As far as the insulation, adding fans will help a whole lot. I suggest doing both.

Ours also came coiled up,Fan stuffed up inside not mounted or wires hooked up.I stuffed insulation above fridge and slide out and down the sides.Added 2 fans to top vent and one to bottom vent all running off snap switches plus add 1 double fan inside of frig. Made a baffle going from top vent to back of fridge.Hooked up 2 switches on eyebrow and pilot lights to show when fan is powered.There is a tube from rear of fridge to eyebrow that the wires can go thru.Purchased therometer for freezer and fridge with read out on outside of fridge. Now freezer stays about almost zero and fridge 33 to 35.
Why switches and lights??? I shut them off at night wife is a very light sleeper. She can hear a Flea Fart !!!! I cut the drain so only about 2 inches stick thru vent.

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
Sometimes there is a container of some type that the condensate drains in to. This is an evaporator cup. On a former trailer, I added this drain container. If the condensate tube hangs outside, the sun will eventually deteriorate this tube. As far as the insulation, adding fans will help a whole lot. I suggest doing both.

Thank you for the note about the exposure to the sun, I hadn’t thought about it. I think there might be too much condensate for a evaporator cup though I could drill a hole and have it hang out the bottom.

Gary521

Found this on YouTube

I went and checked my evaporator pan and its about a cup and a half in size and sits close to the heater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiCyYCvEY78

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
Part two.

Thank you for the ideas and replies.

The top section was all open except for a piece of paneling ensuring that the air from the fans would go over the cooling fins. Four inches of open space above the refrigerator needed to be filled with insulation.

That open space was very warm, this is a slide out and the sun was on it as well as the heat from the fridge. I was going to get a roll of insulation from a box store but saw a fellow cutting up to throw away a sheet for one inch foam insulation. He gave it to me. Score!

I almost used the entire piece to fill the space. My final pieces were all angled towards the front and finished using “sticky” tape made for HVAC.

Now, I’ll see if it makes a big difference. See pics.

View attachment 62503 Acres of space.

View attachment 62504 Four rows of insulation and sideways.

View attachment 62505 Finished and sideways. :)