Exterior illumination coming loose on 2013 big horn

rick-318

exterior Lamination coming loose on 2013 Big Horn anybody else having the same problem

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hi rick-318,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Could you clarify what's coming loose? Illumination? Lamination? Are you talking about a strip of LED lights? Something else?

rick-318

exterior lamination it’s all getting very wavy it must be coming loose from the original glue that used used from factory I guess it would be called the gelcoat lamination

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
It's likely that you have water intrusion somewhere. Have you checked your caulking?

rick-318

It's likely that you have water intrusion somewhere. Have you checked your caulking?
I am in the process of buying it from a dealer there a post to replace a soft spot in the roof by the latter !all the caulking’s been gone over already 😬

danemayer

If the exterior wall is delaminating, it's a risky buy because you don't have any way of knowing how widespread or how severe the water damage might be. If it's anywhere near the rear cap, you could have wood structures that are rotted. Only way to know for sure would be to remove the cap.

rick-318

If the exterior wall is delaminating, it's a risky buy because you don't have any way of knowing how widespread or how severe the water damage might be. If it's anywhere near the rear cap, you could have wood structures that are rotted. Only way to know for sure would be to remove the cap.
I was talking to Heart land on the phone and they seem to tell me the back walls are aluminum

mlpeloquin

From what I remember from the factory tour at Goshen, the sides have metal studs, the front and rear are wood with insulation and the caps. After reading about delam problems on other rigs, I would not even consider a purchase of a rig with delam problems. Look up delamination trailer problems and repair. You really need to open it up to see if there is rot and black mold.

sengli

The sidewalls, roof structure, and floors are all the laminated aluminum/ foam structure on these rigs. The front and rear walls (under the caps) are all 2 x2 wood studs and with batt insulation here and there.

danemayer

Here's a picture of a Bighorn before the front cap is installed. Notice the wood structure. I believe the rear is similar.
DSC04563.JPG