Picking up new 27RBDS this week!

Partsbob

Hi all, I’m new to this Forum and looking forward to picking up our new 2019 North Trail 27RBDS Caliber later this week. We’ve been owners of Jayco and Starcraft TT’s, hoping this unit will be as much enjoyment and pain-free as those have been for my wife & I, especially with this one being the largest TT we’ve owned. That being said, we’d love to hear from other owners of this and other models in this series as to any issues to be aware of as we start this adventure. I’ve read on here of some having tire problems and that’s certainly a major safety issue, if it’s common on this model? Our primary use will be 4-day weekends, likely no farther than 200-300 miles from home.
Our TV is a 2016 F-150 EcoBoost with all the goodies, including Max Tow and Trailer Assist.

danemayer

Hi Partsbob,

Congratulations on the new North Trail and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

We've got a great group of friendly and helpful people here, so I expect you'll get some feedback shortly.

Oregon_Camper

You should plan to do a complete your own Pre-Delivery Inspection. You can use the link below to download mine, or you can search the internet for another one.

This document will take you about 4 hours to complete (don't rush it) and will ensure you understand all the operations of the RV as well as having you inspect the RV. This will help you find all sorts of "gotcha" stuff that might not pop up until later down the road (ie...when your 100's of miles from an RV shop). No matter what the dealer says, their PDI will never cover everything.

Complete this PDI and get dealer to fix all issue before paying for trailer...that way the dealer is very motivated to finish.

https://www.rvwiththetanners.com/pre-delivery-inspection

NP_Chief

Second vote here for a good PDI. I used the one in the previous post from oregon_camper. I sent a copy to the dealer a few days before arrival and spent the first night in their lot. Worked out great, the few issues I found were fixed the next day. Welcome to the forum.

Partsbob

Thanks all, your input is greatly appreciated! Moving up from 20’ to a 32’, there’s a lot more to cover, so that PDI sheet will certainly come in handy.

carl.swoyer

Hi all, I’m new to this Forum and looking forward to picking up our new 2019 North Trail 27RBDS Caliber later this week. We’ve been owners of Jayco and Starcraft TT’s, hoping this unit will be as much enjoyment and pain-free as those have been for my wife & I, especially with this one being the largest TT we’ve owned. That being said, we’d love to hear from other owners of this and other models in this series as to any issues to be aware of as we start this adventure. I’ve read on here of some having tire problems and that’s certainly a major safety issue, if it’s common on this model? Our primary use will be 4-day weekends, likely no farther than 200-300 miles from home.
Our TV is a 2016 F-150 EcoBoost with all the goodies, including Max Tow and Trailer Assist.
I would do your detailed inspection before you sign for it.
Once the paperwork is signed, you own it. Sales people will always say, oh our service department will take care of everything.
Inspection before you sign.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Partsbob

Can anyone confirm what Heartland lists as a “Standard Exterior Grill” in their Options on the dealer’s build-sheet actually is? Our salesperson says our new unit comes with the outdoor grill “bracket” to mount to the rear bumper rack for the outdoor kitchen, but no actual “grill” is included with the camper, suggesting we purchase a portable induction-cooktop for the slide-out tray. To me a ”Grill” is a grill, not a bracket, though I would prefer it came with a 2-burner cooktop, since we already camp with a Char-Broil “Grill-2-Go”. I don’t know what other Heartland TT models come with this option and none of the videos of our model state anything about an actual grill or cooktop being included. We love our little Char-Broil, but it’s tough to cook in 2 pots when you can’t regulate the heat to each pot, plus we just don’t want to leave the camper lot without everything that’s supposed to be included because of our salesperson’s lack of knowledge.
The same goes for the awning’s LED lights during our demo of the unit: they wouldn’t stay on and the onsite tech says there’s a remote control for them that we’ll get at delivery, but the salesperson wasn’t at all aware of it. If there actually is a remote, does it have any other functions, like operating the awning as well? Other manufacturers include multi-function remotes or “pads”, but I’ve not seen or read anything like that for this model TT.

RdRngR

Your Caliber should come with the grill. There should be a "swing" type mount (probably the "bracket" he is talking about) for it which is bolted on the rear bumper and the grill mount itself (under foam packing inside grill box) will hang on that. You have to put the grill together. Its not great but actually, works ok and stores easily in the bag it comes with (although the zipper broke right away).
It should come with this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-M...t=&hvlocphy=9009690&hvtargid=pla-434615238139

It should also come with the propane hose needed. It attaches to the fitting right under your outdoor kitchen. I would ask sales to double check

Partsbob

Thanks All, we picked up our Caliber on Thursday night and camped that night & next to become acquainted with everything, hoping for no issues. So far we’re thrilled with it and brought her home yesterday!
We did discover the awning LED remote does only work the light strip, so that answered one question and you are right about the grill, with the salesperson researching it for me, finding a couple of them stashed away with hoses. Although the grill isn’t close to being a Capital Grill, it’s a nice addition to the outdoor kitchen, although it would be much simpler to set up if you didn’t have to drop the rear rack with the spare tire hung on it.