battery is not charging

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Behind the basement wall. More then likely you have tripped the little black reset button on the manual reset breaker in the front compartment. there is only 1 breaker with this button on the side. I will try to find the picture soon.
28da75a2f810b1e9937d76ad23706665.jpg

pegmikef

If it is not the circuit breaker Jesstalkin pointed to, then a real easy test for the converter is to turn off the batteries (should have a switch on the wall in generator compartment). With the batteries off, try your lights and anything else you know that works on the battery. If you have no lights, then your converter is probably bad, or a fuse has blown, or it has come unplugged. It is located behind your basement wall. Refer to the converter documentation as there is a testing procedure in it. One last possibility is the AC circuit breaker for the converter is blown.

Lynn1130

With the batteries off, try your lights and anything else you know that works on the battery. If you have no lights, then your converter is probably bad, or a fuse has blown, or it has come unplugged.

Wait, What? I have read this about five times to see if there was a trick here. If I turn my batteries off (battery disconnect switch) nothing in my trailer that runs on 12 volt will work. How would this indicate a bad converter? Am I missing something with your post?

danemayer

Wait, What? I have read this about five times to see if there was a trick here. If I turn my batteries off (battery disconnect switch) nothing in my trailer that runs on 12 volt will work. How would this indicate a bad converter? Am I missing something with your post?
Lynn,

The Power Converter and the battery both supply power to the fuse box inside the coach. If the Power Converter is working correctly, you can remove the battery altogether and your interior lighting will continue to receive power from the Power Converter.

Exterior devices that get power from the buss bar may still work with battery removed, if the Power Converter is working. But the Hydraulics pulls a lot of power and may not work reliably without a battery providing a lot of stored power.

The attached diagram may help.

Attachments

• 12V block diagram v2.pdf
    19.4 KB · Views: 23

Lynn1130

The Power Converter and the battery both supply power to the fuse box inside the coach. If the Power Converter is working correctly, you can remove the battery altogether and your interior lighting will continue to receive power from the Power Converter.

I guess I am a little thick here. If I am not hooked to shore power, and I turn the battery disconnect to off, all of my interior lights (12V) stop working. Since I am not hooked to shore power there now is no power to anything in the trailer. I must be missing something here as the OP made no reference to being hooked up to 120V. So, what am I missing? Where is the power coming from?

Are we making an assumption that because he asked about the converter, he is hooked to shore?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Technically the only thing he asked was "where it was" ?

I know I assume he was trying to see if it working or not. I would think if he's looking into the convertor he would most likely be hooked to shore power.

We are just trying to help the guy out and don't see any reason to be rude on this forum.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

danemayer

Are we making an assumption that because he asked about the converter, he is hooked to shore?

That seems reasonable to me. He says the battery is not charging (subject line) and wants the location of the converter. So I interpret that as him being on shore power, expecting the battery to be charging, and knowing that the charge comes from the converter.

Lynn1130

We are just trying to help the guy out and don't see any reason to be rude on this forum.

I am sorry that you took my comments as rude. In-fact I was trying to clarify a point. That being that if the switch is off, so is 12 volt and it seemed to me that there was no indication that there was other power being supplied. Being rude was the furthest thing from my mind. I was also trying to be helpful and did not understand how power would be getting in if he is off shore power, and he did not indicate he was on any other power.

Making assumptions sometimes get us incorrect solutions and from what I could tell we did not have all of the information to make a decision.

And Dan, I did not make the connection (poor pun) that he was connected. I was taking it in the most literal way.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I am sorry that you took my comments as rude. In-fact I was trying to clarify a point. That being that if the switch is off, so is 12 volt and it seemed to me that there was no indication that there was other power being supplied. Being rude was the furthest thing from my mind. I was also trying to be helpful and did not understand how power would be getting in if he is off shore power, and he did not indicate he was on any other power.

Making assumptions sometimes get us incorrect solutions and from what I could tell we did not have all of the information to make a decision.

And Dan, I did not make the connection (poor pun) that he was connected. I was taking it in the most literal way.

Thanks for clarifying you comments. I questioned whether I should call you out on it or not. I am also on a Ford Forum and noticed some of the people on there are unbelievably rude jerks on most of the treads I have read and it is just horrible to read. Luckily the moderators on the forum keep a close eye on this and don't allow it to happen.

Happy trails to you :cool: