Need suggestions for a more comfortable mattress!

geolink

Wifey and I are new owners of a 2019 North Trail CRB. We are happy with the trailer for the most part, but the factory bed (short queen) is about as comfortable as a sheet of plywood with a bed sheet on it. The fold out sofa bed needs improvement as well. Looking for suggestions to improve comfort like a new mattress, topper whatever has worked for you. Thanks, George

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello George and welcome to this great forum.
RV mattresses are not known for their comfort as you have discovered.
For a number of years we had a gel mattress topper till we bought a new gel foam mattress and threw out the original.
So, there are a few options.
Take a look at the links in my signature and consider joining the Heartland Owners Club. It's free!

Peace
Dave

mlpeloquin

Some really like foam mattresses. There are various brands and others can chime in about them. We prefer, though at a price, the Sleep Number mattress.

donr827

We have always used a foam mattress pad, around 2-3 inches thick, to make the orginal mattress more comfortable.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We put a TempurPedic foam pad on the 10 yr. old OEM mattress this year. Almost as good as the TempurPedic mattress set at home. Had a cheaper pillow foam pad on it for a few years prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NP_Chief

Welcome to the forum! We went through the same issue when we got our rig. We ended up going with a Zinus 6-inch Short Queen to replace ours. I like it, but the wife seems to think we should've went with 8-inch. We have storage "holes" in each side and I didn't want to block them. We took the old mattress and put it on the top bunk in the garage for the kids. It worked out well.

http://zinus.com

They do not sell the short queen off the website, but I spoke with them and they advised that the warranty applies to the mattress if it's ordered from an on line retailer. We ordered off ebay for around $100. It does take a while to expand when you unbox it.

MountainDon

Hello

We have a north trail 21 fbs and it has plenty of room for a full queen. I am grumpy when I don’t sleep well so we have a regular “foam for our preference” mattress and love it.

I extended the platform and made the underbed storage accessible from the end

fwiw

Don

geolink

Hello George and welcome to this great forum.
RV mattresses are not known for their comfort as you have discovered.
For a number of years we had a gel mattress topper till we bought a new gel foam mattress and threw out the original.
So, there are a few options.
Take a look at the links in my signature and consider joining the Heartland Owners Club. It's free!

Peace
Dave

Thanks for the info and the invite. The dealer signed us up for the Heartland Owner's Group when we bought the trailer.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to all for the information! I have written all the suggestions down and will check them out. George

geolink

Welcome to the forum! We went through the same issue when we got our rig. We ended up going with a Zinus 6-inch Short Queen to replace ours. I like it, but the wife seems to think we should've went with 8-inch. We have storage "holes" in each side and I didn't want to block them. We took the old mattress and put it on the top bunk in the garage for the kids. It worked out well.

http://zinus.com

They do not sell the short queen off the website, but I spoke with them and they advised that the warranty applies to the mattress if it's ordered from an on line retailer. We ordered off ebay for around $100. It does take a while to expand when you unbox it.

Thank you.

sengli

On our last two new fifth wheels, we went and got a foam topper. Its worked for us just fine, and it wont set you back thousands of $$.

garyroee

Beside a comfortable mattress, I think you need a good sheet. The right set of sheets could be the key to unlocking a perfect night of sleep. This reason is why it’s such a necessary step to invest some time in thinking about what kind of sheets you’d find most comfortable.