Missing keys on brand new Big Country

Alain_Luckx

Big Country 3965DSS
Hi,
I just bought a brandnew 2018 Heardland Big Country 3965DSS. The dealer can't find the keys to lock the pass thru storage compartment. Today I got a new set of keys guess what they dont fit.

Is there a way to know what key I need looking at the inside of one of these locks? I urgently need my keys!

What would a replacement lock be? Type, brand, partnumber?
Who can ship me three of those licks or the keys that go with my locks?

Kind regards,
Alain.

Fox

I didn't receive the keys for my pass through either. My dealers service dept. was of no help.

Then last April I was parked next to a Landmark (an active site member) and mentioned it. He produced his key AND IT FIT (it was marked R001). I spent several hours visiting hardware stores, locksmiths, etc - all no help in trying to duplicate the key he allowed me to borrow.

The next day I mentioned this to a non-camping friend and soon after he showed me his phone - Key R001 was available from amazon. At that time they were $10 each (I ordered two); recently while looking at my amazon history I observed the same key, now at $5.

Landmark - Bighorn - BigCounty, my bet is it'll work for you.

Found it: https://www.amazon.com/Southco-Bagg...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Q2MNCG8MXSTZRRCD497P

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Remove the lock assembly and take it to a locksmith shop (not a hardware store).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

R001 and CH751 are the mainstay keys for too many trailers....they are way too common and generic. The CH751 also fits the major brands of commercial irrigation controllers.

I couldn't wait to get our RVLocks openers after our trailer purchase...love them.

Gary521

Feeling a bit safe and secure now, Ill bet. Everybody on earth has a key to your storage compartment but you. One suggestion is to get different slam locks that are keyed to your front door. RVLOCKSANDMORE.COM can do this fairly cheaply.

Gary521

The slam latches are keyed to the R001 and the cam locks are keyed to the . So yeh, all slam locks are keyed the same. I had my changed so the slam locks and the cam locks are keyed to the front door key. RVLocksandmore can do this. If you take out the main door lock on the inside is a label that says RVLOCKSANDMORE. The only reason I know this is that a while back there was a recall on the door lock. Some people have opted for the electronic slam locks and main door locks. For me personally, I can't see any difference to carrying a key , carrying a key FOB or punching in a code.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:

LBR

The slam latches are keyed to the R001 and the cam locks are keyed to the . So yeh, all slam locks are keyed the same. I had my changed so the slam locks and the cam locks are keyed to the front door key. RVLocksandmore can do this. If you take out the main door lock on the inside is a label that says RVLOCKSANDMORE. The only reason I know this is that a while back there was a recall on the door lock. Some people have opted for the electronic slam locks and main door locks. For me personally, I can't see any difference to carrying a key , carrying a key FOB or punching in a code.

- - - Updated - - -
What I value with our 4 locks is no R001 key and the ability to get in the truck and lock all 4 locks at once with the fob and leave....when returning, same thing for unlocking all 4. This allows access to the 2 compartments after returning, if needed, without fishing for a key ring and sorting for the right key.

I realize that RVLocks aren't for every RV'er.....just a matter of personal preferences.

MCTalley

When we bought our first Big Country, the pass-through storage keys were missing. When I mentioned it to the technician doing our walk-through, he ran off to the shop and came back with two big key rings full of little keys. He tried a key from each ring and handed me a couple of the correct ones. He mentioned that there were primarily only two different keys for pretty much all the slam-latch doors on the RVs on their lot (various brands).

HOOKERUP

Remember: locks are only meant for honest people.If someone wants what someone else has they will get it.

I also never tried amazon but after working with a locksmith company i see that amazon is the best place to get locks for cheap. If you are thinking to change locks, ask a locksmith to get one from amazon.

Last edited: