F-150 MaxTow and new NT 27RBDS

Partsbob

Hi all, I’m looking for towing advice after just purchasing a ‘19 NT 27RBDS (32’ overall) to tow with our recently purchased ‘16 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost “loaded” 4x4 with MaxTow, 3.55 diff and using a 1k/10k Curt type equalizer with sway bar. Loaded the TT weighs in around 7,400lbs which is about half the truck’s rating and I never tow with anything in the tanks, but this is the largest TT I’ve ever towed and was quite disappointed with the amount of waggle & sway on a 200 miles drive over the weekend, even though it has the Famous Wide-Trax axle placement. Twice I stopped to tighten the friction sway bar and kept speed around 60mph on the Interstate, but even SUVs passing would cause our rig to waggle like a big-rig was passing our previous 20’ TT. I tried turning off the truck’s built-in “sway control”, but it seemed to default to On no matter if I deselected it on the dash, after the dealer’s tech said they would fight each other if kept On.
The truck had zero trouble pulling the TT, and the equalizer keeps everything level, but it was a bit stressing with the sway, on what should have been a relaxing weekend at the lake with our new camper. We have no option to trade vehicles, so I’m hoping someone out there with the same combo has found the answer to comfortably tow at 65mph without the stress, perhaps adding a 2nd sway bar?

rahewett

I use to tow our Wilderness 2775 rb , pretty much the same length as yours, with a 2007 F150. Same problem with sway. I added a second sway control and went to light truck tires and that helped alot. Made the sway pretty much go away. I switched to a 2016 f250 but still use the sway control on the hitch. Not sure that I need it, but it can't hurt. I would say add the second sway control. I have the wide track system also and I don't think it helps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Domi

We have used this e2 hitch with our 2011 NT 28RBS for the last 4 years https://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-hitch. We have not noticed any sway from traffic and generally not until we get to about 30 mph winds. We do tow with a GMC 2500 HD truck so we do have a bit more weight there which might help some. Trailer GVW is 6900 and we tend to run close to that so I think our wights are close. We are 33 feet with the hitch, and 28 feet with just the trailer and I am not sure what measurment you are using.

I think that the round bar gives much better sway conntrol than the other types and you do not have to remove it for backing which is nice.

Maybe not what you want to hear but I think the hich can make all the difference in the world. Also make sure what you have now is adjusted correctly. That can make a big difference also.

John

rhodies1

Hi all, I’m looking for towing advice after just purchasing a ‘19 NT 27RBDS (32’ overall) to tow with our recently purchased ‘16 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost “loaded” 4x4 with MaxTow, 3.55 diff and using a 1k/10k Curt type equalizer with sway bar. Loaded the TT weighs in around 7,400lbs which is about half the truck’s rating and I never tow with anything in the tanks, but this is the largest TT I’ve ever towed and was quite disappointed with the amount of waggle & sway on a 200 miles drive over the weekend, even though it has the Famous Wide-Trax axle placement. Twice I stopped to tighten the friction sway bar and kept speed around 60mph on the Interstate, but even SUVs passing would cause our rig to waggle like a big-rig was passing our previous 20’ TT. I tried turning off the truck’s built-in “sway control”, but it seemed to default to On no matter if I deselected it on the dash, after the dealer’s tech said they would fight each other if kept On.
The truck had zero trouble pulling the TT, and the equalizer keeps everything level, but it was a bit stressing with the sway, on what should have been a relaxing weekend at the lake with our new camper. We have no option to trade vehicles, so I’m hoping someone out there with the same combo has found the answer to comfortably tow at 65mph without the stress, perhaps adding a 2nd sway bar?

If your pocket nook allows it,go purchase a Blue Ox sway control weight distribution system.best set up for the dollars, eliminates trailer sway..
sell your old system on Craig list or some other web site.

Partsbob

Thanks all, based on yours’ and others’ responses, I’ve ordered the e2 10k setup and praying that will solve this issue. I’m still curious what others with the F-150 built-in “electronic sway control” have done when using a sway-control equalizer hitch: On or Off?

Partsbob

UPDATE: after a 3-hour tow into TN on mostly Interstates a week ago, I was still uncomfortable with the amount of “dancing” of the TT, so I’ve traded the Fastway E2 for a dealer-recommended Eaz-Lift R3 10k with adjustable sway-control. I have a 6-hour tow planned for later this week and will know how much improvement the R3 is over the E2, if any, but the dealer stated this is what they install exclusively and have never had a complaint. Fortunately I was able to return the E2 for a full refund, so the cost was a wash, even with installation. I have no doubt the E2 is an excellent solution and I’m just not used to this length/weight TT, again hoping this will resolve my stress, since I don’t have the option of a heavier truck.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
While I think that you are probably maxing out your truck, one thing you might do is to skip using an RV dealership for adjusting your hitch and find a trailer hitch shop (ie.- a place that just does hitches for a living) and have them set it up correctly for you.

I've discovered that most RV dealerships barely know how to install a hitch, let alone setting them up correctly.

By the way, when you have them adjust and set it up, make sure the trailer is loaded like it would be when you are towing it.

Partsbob

Thanks JohnD, I did have both loaded to camp, having stopped at the dealer to have a water leak fixed under warranty before our next trip. Before even discussing alternatives, I asked their Pro tech to confirm my setup of the E2 and it was spot-on, with him having lots of experience with the E2 at his past employment.
Yes, I’m sure I wouldn’t be dealing with this if I owned a diesel dually, but I don’t have that luxury right now and am grateful what I do have has a 12,000 lb Max Tow package for this 7,500 lb camper, sure that I'll get more comfortable with it in time. Thanks again.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Thanks JohnD, I did have both loaded to camp, having stopped at the dealer to have a water leak fixed under warranty before our next trip. Before even discussing alternatives, I asked their Pro tech to confirm my setup of the E2 and it was spot-on, with him having lots of experience with the E2 at his past employment.
Yes, I’m sure I wouldn’t be dealing with this if I owned a diesel dually, but I don’t have that luxury right now and am grateful what I do have has a 12,000 lb Max Tow package for this 7,500 lb camper, sure that I'll get more comfortable with it in time. Thanks again.

Typically a truck runs out of payload long before you reach that magic max weight number.

If you are over payload on the truck...no hitch is going to help!

How does your payload numbers match up (will need to get both truck and trailer weighed to find this out)?

Cperk

I bought a pro pride 3p. Will never use another hitch period. No sway at all. You have to learn to trust it though. You can feel when the tt would start to normally sway, but then it catches it. Drive 75 mph on the interstate after I learned to trust the thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RickL

What tire pressures are you running? Have you weighed the truck and trailer? You should also weigh the trailer so you get individual weights on each axle. One of the suggestions was to move to light truck tires. Probably a solid suggestion as long as the pressures are set correctly (not necessarily maxing out the pressure).

Fordguru

Sway and braking will be your biggest complaint
power is outstanding and mileage sucks
downhill is sketchy
go the speed limit and all is well

Cperk

You might also try letting off of the load levelers, meaning put more weight on the truck. I’ve found that the load levelers with a friction sway control, when too much is taken off of the truck, will cause sway to be more likely. The propride hitch is expensive but well worth it for the safety of you and your family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk