New lube product coming soon for CP4 pumps

NYSUPstater

I've been criticized for speaking of fuel or oil additives by many who think that what I mention is nothing more than snake oil. Yet these products were designed either for semi use originally or Ford's 6.0 Powerstroke originally. There are many products on the market to which folks have there love affair with and that's perfectly fine and I don't have a problem with it whatsoever. But of all products for diesel use, there are only 3 I would trust personally.

1. Howes Diesel treat anti-gel
2. Motorkote
3. Hot Shot Secret.

Now as for the CP4 in title. Was listening to the overnight trucking show (ATN...American Trucking Network on 700 WLW 12-5am) last week and they had on the owner/founder of HSS on. As the show went on, it was announced that they would have on the market in about a month or so a product to help lube the CP4 pump. Not sure if it goes into fuel or oil, but it's called "LX4". They put a lil spin on it saying "LX4 for your CP4". When I checked last, it wasn't listed on their website, so if interested, check in now and then. Supposed to help in many ways.

My $.02

danemayer

I had the CP4 pump in our 2011 GMC. It disintegrated at 44,000 miles. While covered by warranty, after 2 weeks, all they could tell me was that 44 parts were on order and they had no projected date for all parts to arrive. Once all parts were there, they would schedule the repair, which was expected to take at least 40 hours. I didn't think having the truck in the shop for 6 or 8 weeks or longer was a good fit for our plans. Also, we were less than a year away from warranty expiration. The dealer estimated that an out-of-warranty repair would be $8,000 - $10,000.

I replaced the GMC with a RAM that has 2 fuel filters. I also now use a fuel additive that probably costs me less than $50/year. Is it snake oil? I don't know for sure, but hopefully it'll help.

But I'm willing to spend the money and an extra 2 minutes at every fuel stop if I can avoid another high pressure fuel pump failure.

Btw, I think it was the 2017 North American Rally where 3 attendees had fuel pump failures while on the way.

And I've heard that similar repairs on a Ford are less expensive, but that Ford may not cover it under warranty, instead suggesting you file a claim with the fuel supplier.

RAM experience with CP4 seems to be better - perhaps the 2 fuel filters helps.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
I believe that Ram still uses the CP3 pump. Only GM and Ford have switched to the CP4. I lost mine as well with 22K miles on the truck. Ford covered it under warranty, provided a replacement truck ( not diesel however ) and paid the 2 payments I had while the truck was in the shop. Yes that is 2 payments they had the **** truck for 9 weeks. Still overall I would have to say that Ford came through.

Lynn1130

Supposedly, the CP4 issue with Duramax besides being lube (less sulfur) is it's inability to keep a good positive fuel flow going. The CP3 was better but it would blow up at times also. Extra filtration does not hurt but a lift pump is probably the best all around mod along with an additive.

CarterKraft

I occasionally dose the tank with power service but change fuel filters at 10k and drain water seperator at 5k.

For those that lost pumps, what schedule were you changing/draining?

My opinion is the factory interval is pretty long.

danemayer

I occasionally dose the tank with power service but change fuel filters at 10k and drain water seperator at 5k.

For those that lost pumps, what schedule were you changing/draining?

My opinion is the factory interval is pretty long.
Following factory recommendation.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
I have been following the factory recommendations as well. I have also faithfully been using the Motocraft PM-22A additive to increase the lubricity. I have no idea if it helps but the cost is small and I haven't had any problems since.

CarterKraft

Following factory recommendation.

30k mile fuel filter changes is absurd in my opinion.

There is some strange language in the manual regarding water separator drain intervals noting it should be done at oil change, or when instructed by the instrument cluster. That should really say AND instead of OR.

SNOKING

GM swtiched to the Desmo injection pump in 2017 models vs the CP4. The 2011-2016 had the CP4, the earlier Duramax diesels had the CP3.

And RAM had the CP3 from 2003 to 2018, the 2019 RAMs now have the CP4.

Cost of Ford CP4 failures was 10-11K, and yes Ford tried to blame the users, which GM silently just fixed them. All 6.7 Powerstrokes have the CP4.

I guess what goes around comes around. Chris

danemayer

30k mile fuel filter changes is absurd in my opinion.

There is some strange language in the manual regarding water separator drain intervals noting it should be done at oil change, or when instructed by the instrument cluster. That should really say AND instead of OR.

The DIC tells me how many miles are left before a filter change.

Lynn1130

I don't pay much attention to what the DIC tells me with oil or fuel filters. Both are too long for a vehicle is severe weather (110+ and lots of sand and dirt). The recommendation on my 04 was a new fuel filter every 15K and I had upgraded to the CAT filters. The "new" GM filters on my 14 are supposed to be better but I still never go over three oil changes to a fuel filter and the oil is changed at no longer that 5K. If I have been towing a bunch (during the summer) I may only go 3K. If you fuel up in some of the backwater locations while traveling, carry a spare fuel filter. One bad batch of fuel can plug your filter in a hurry.

And don't forget your transfer case and transmission. They get some severe use also and it never hurts to change fluids early. If you are worried about the few extra bucks for more changes check the price on an engine overhaul, or a new transfer case.

NYSUPstater

[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot]
[h=1]LX4 Lubricity Extreme[/h]FUEL PUMP + INJECTOR PROTECTION
HIGHEST LEVEL OF LUBRICITY CONCENTRATION AVAILABLE

LUBRICATES & REDUCES WEAR
LX4 LUBRICITY EXTREME is a premium lubricity additive for Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) and gasoline. LX4 LUBRICITY EXTREME contains the highest level of lubricity performance on the market and can put even the poorest quality fuel back into specification and exceed OEM requirements for lubrication. Use to greatly increase fuel’s lubricity and prevent the wear and scarring of key components inside the fuel system, including pumps and injectors. Product is warranty safe and emissions equipment safe.

100% compatible with other Hot Shot’s Secret fuel additives, including DIESEL EXTREME, EVERYDAY DIESEL TREATMENT and GASOLINE EXTREME.

Made with pride in the USA, plus FREE SHIPPING on every order! (some exclusions apply)

• 2X more lubricity than the leading competitor
  • Increases fuel’s lubricity up to 56%*
    *Test method ASTM D-6079 with diesel fuel
  • Protects fuel pumps & injectors from wear & failure
  • Lubricates upper cylinder
  • Contains zero alcohol or harmful solvents
  • Use 1 OZ of LX4 Lubricity Extreme per 10 GAL of fuel

[h=1]32 OZ - LX4
Lubricity Extreme[/h][h=2]Treats 320 Gallons![/h]
[h=1]16 OZ Squeeze - LX4 Lubricity Extreme[/h][h=2]Treats 160 Gallons![/h]

[h=2]FEATURED VIDEO![/h]

[/FONT]