Fresh water tank vent

Gbrvers

Does anyone know why there are two vents on the fresh water tank? All the water leaks out when we're driving down the road. Would it be ok to plug these vents.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hi Gbrvers,

On trailers that have the 4-way Anderson Valve, the fresh tank is filled with city water from a home or campground fixture. The pressurized water from that source can be enough to overfill and damage the tank. To prevent damage, there are overflows added at the factory.

Some people have added cutoff valves where the overflows terminate. If you do, it's really critical that you open those valves before filling the tank.

Lynn1130

As Dan said. I have three overflows and have all of them valved but you need to put a note on your checklist to open the vents when you arrive. This prevents trying to fill the tanks later and blowing the crossover hose off if you have dual tanks or expanding the one tank to the point of no return.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Or, leave it the way it is and only fill your tank 1/2 to 2/3 full.

And, if you can, instead of hauling all that weight, try to fill it up somewhere near your destination.

Lynn1130

And you are out of water in 3 days if you are boon docking. If you are on a 10 day elk hunt 1/2 or 2/3 load of water just does not work. A 10 day family camping trip in the forest and you will be dry by day 5, if you get that many days.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
And you are out of water in 3 days if you are boon docking. If you are on a 10 day elk hunt 1/2 or 2/3 load of water just does not work. A 10 day family camping trip in the forest and you will be dry by day 5, if you get that many days.

I guess you missed where I said to fill it up somewhere near the camp location...

And, if you can, instead of hauling all that weight, try to fill it up somewhere near your destination.