Hot Water Problem

BarbandFrank

We are full time and have a problem with the temperature of our shower water. We have hot water in our kitchen sink and in our bathroom sink, but not in the shower. At best, the water in the shower gets warm for a few minutes, then it goes cold. It’s not much of a problem when the temperature outside is very warm, but now that the weather is cooling off here in northern Illinois, it’s difficult.

Does anyone have a thought or suggestion on how to fix this?

Frank

wdk450

Your problem is curios in that the bathroom sink is so close to the shower. Anyways, previous posts I have read on similar problems talk of the external shower in the docking center having the knobs somewhat turned ON, and although the shower head there is turned OFF, the Hot and Cold lines mix and cool the hot water. 2nd reported cause I remember was in a bypass valve for the water heater used for winterizing antifreeze being on or partly on again allowing hot and cold to mix. This valve was behind the water heater in older units, and I believe is part of the new Anderson multi-valve in the UDC. You might try moving this around and back to its proper position to see if this fixes things.

BarbandFrank

Your problem is curios in that the bathroom sink is so close to the shower. Anyways, previous posts I have read on similar problems talk of the external shower in the docking center having the knobs somewhat turned ON, and although the shower head there is turned OFF, the Hot and Cold lines mix and cool the hot water. 2nd reported cause I remember was in a bypass valve for the water heater used for winterizing antifreeze being on or partly on again allowing hot and cold to mix. This valve was behind the water heater in older units, and I believe is part of the new Anderson multi-valve in the UDC. You might try moving this around and back to its proper position to see if this fixes things.

I should have also mentioned that right after a shower with lukewarm to cold water, I immediately get hot water from the bathroom sink and/or the kitchen sink.

I also checked the external shower and seems to be no problem there.

Thanks for your insight.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Is this a new problem that just occurred or has this been the norm? All else fails, it could be there’s something amiss with the shower controls. Could be blockage of some sort on the hot water side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarbandFrank

Is this a new problem that just occurred or has this been the norm? All else fails, it could be there’s something amiss with the shower controls. Could be blockage of some sort on the hot water side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have been dealing with this problem all summer which is when we use the shower the most. During the winter months we tend to use campground showers. So it’s hard to pinpoint when the problem began.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We have been dealing with this problem all summer which is when we use the shower the most. During the winter months we tend to use campground showers. So it’s hard to pinpoint when the problem began.

Based on your description, I'm leaning towards a problem with the hot water supply to the shower faucets. Not sure what design shower controller you have, but if it's a single handle type, one of the internal orifices may be blocked. Had this problem years ago in our home. Ended up disassembling the internal workings, cleaning gunk out, and putting it back in. Been working fine ever since. Same type of problem might exist in a two handled unit (like we have in our BH) if some debris got into the workings and is blocking the hot water line into the unit.

The other possibility, unlikely unless something smacked into it, could be a kink in the water line supplying hot water to the shower. You might want to try tracing the line up to be sure there's nothing wrong with it.

We are full time and have a problem with the temperature of our shower water. We have hot water in our kitchen sink and in our bathroom sink, but not in the shower. At best, the water in the shower gets warm for a few minutes, then it goes cold. It’s not much of a problem when the temperature outside is very warm, but now that the weather is cooling off here in northern Illinois, it’s difficult.

Does anyone have a thought or suggestion on how to fix this?

Frank

Hi Frank,

On the simple side, it may be that someone turned off the water valve under the sink and forgot to turn it back on. On the slightly more complicated side, the faucet may be blocked. Try the hot water at another faucet if the shut-off valve was open. If there is no hot water at that faucet, check the hot water heater.