Ram 3500 Batteries

BarbandFrank

We have a 2016 Ram 3500 diesel with just over 50,000 miles. In the last week we have found our batteries dead twice in the morning. Am wondering if life expectancy of a battery should be greater than just over 3 years? We are full time and on average we move every two weeks.

Also last week we had an auxiliary fuel tank installed at Classy Chassis in Indiana. The battery problem began after the fuel tank was installed. We called Tom Martin to ask if the battery problem could be connected to the pump, but after walking through the process, he determined everything was ok with the installation.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark-Roberta 051995

I am only assuming here - is there a "switch" to this pump and did you leave it on or did Classy Chassis and drain your batteries? I had a 2015 Ram 3500 with 33K on it and both my batteries went dead in January after 4 years. I just went out one day - and nada - nothing. I jump them and it ran but after that - would not start up again.

Run a diagnostics on it to see if there are any codes stored in it - dealer can do this for free.

Good luck

BarbandFrank

I am only assuming here - is there a "switch" to this pump and did you leave it on or did Classy Chassis and drain your batteries? I had a 2015 Ram 3500 with 33K on it and both my batteries went dead in January after 4 years. I just went out one day - and nada - nothing. I jump them and it ran but after that - would not start up again.

Run a diagnostics on it to see if there are any codes stored in it - dealer can do this for free.

Good luck

Thanks - appreciate the insight.

- - - Updated - - -

If one goes bad it will take the other one out

We had the batteries tested today and one is bad - so it looks like we need to shop for new ones.

Thanks!

BarbandFrank

2016 Ford F-350 and our factory batteries lasted about 3 years.

It’s good to know others have had the same experience. This is our first 3500 towing a big rig, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Honestly, I thought the batteries would last a bit longer.

MCTalley

It’s good to know others have had the same experience. This is our first 3500 towing a big rig, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Honestly, I thought the batteries would last a bit longer.

This is the first truck we've had long enough for the batteries to fail (at least knowing when they were last replaced). We also spend a lot of time in Florida, and most everyone nods their head and says "they all do that here in Florida heat" when I mention it.

sengli

Have a 2014 and so far we seem to be fine. I dont have a lot of miles (15k) so the batteries dont get used much. When not in use I do keep the truck on a tender. Guess I am on borrowed time.

BarbandFrank

Have a 2014 and so far we seem to be fine. I dont have a lot of miles (15k) so the batteries dont get used much. When not in use I do keep the truck on a tender. Guess I am on borrowed time.

We are full time and we didn’t want to take a chance on getting stuck in the middle of nowhere. We spend the summer in our home state (Chicago area) so it was the perfect time to replace our batteries. We are heading south for the winter in a few weeks so now we are good to go.

avvidclif

Them Rams must run hot or start out with cheap batteries, my 2009 Ford lasted 5 years and my 2015 Chevy is still going strong. :rolleyes:

SNOKING

Over the last year I have pushed the start button and the did not start. Each time the grid heaters had cycled. On second push it started.

This morning I pushed start, grid heaters cycled and it did not start. Second or third push of start and the Service 4 wheel drive system message come up on EVIC. I disconnected the grounds and measure voltage, drivers side was 12.71 and passengers side 12.65. hooked batteries back up and it started.

We leave for Arizona in three weeks, so I replaced both batteries. Truck is 4 years old with almost 60K on the clock to me and was built in Dec 2014.

It appears that the modern electronics just shuts down start under conditions of low voltage. OEM batteries only had MOPAR labels/numbers on them. Could have be made by one of 5 or so manufactures as low bidder. OEM where 730 CCA and Interstates 765 CCA.

Hopefully everything will be good to go. SnoKing