Inverter question

Dmetcalf

I leave my inverter powered on all of the time even while the RV is parked at the house and plugged into the 50 a. shore line I installed. My question is will that affect the inverter at all .,?
Thanks

danemayer

The general answer for electronic devices is that they have a "bathtub" curve that represents the expected life of any particular design. Early life failures (first few months) are relatively high. Then the failure rate drops very low and stays that way. Then after some number of years, the failure rate starts climbing again. From an RV point of view, if you're post-warranty, most of your electronics will probably last as long as you have the trailer - barring external issues such electrical surges, or high or low voltage conditions that can damage the electronics. Devices like fireplaces, microwaves, and DVD players that have both electronic and mechanical parts, may have a shorter life.

More specifically, if you're asking about the inverter that's dedicated to the residential refrigerator, the reason to leave it on while on shore power is to protect food from spoiling in the event of a power failure. If the refrigerator is empty while the rig is stored at home, the inverter may have a longer life if it's turned off.

Dmetcalf

The general answer for electronic devices is that they have a "bathtub" curve that represents the expected life of any particular design. Early life failures (first few months) are relatively high. Then the failure rate drops very low and stays that way. Then after some number of years, the failure rate starts climbing again. From an RV point of view, if you're post-warranty, most of your electronics will probably last as long as you have the trailer - barring external issues such electrical surges, or high or low voltage conditions that can damage the electronics. Devices like fireplaces, microwaves, and DVD players that have both electronic and mechanical parts, may have a shorter life.

More specifically, if you're asking about the inverter that's dedicated to the residential refrigerator, the reason to leave it on while on shore power is to protect food from spoiling in the event of a power failure. If the refrigerator is empty while the rig is stored at home, the inverter may have a longer life if it's turned off.

Thank you for this information..! We have food in it and just keep the residential fridge run. We try to use the RV once a month sometimes more if we can. The RV was purchased Jan. 2019 so it’s still under warranty..!

david-steph2018

We leave our on 24/7 for the fridge. But of course the transfer switch dedicated to the fridge went out around the first of August and had to get a new switch. We leave it on in case the park has electrical issues and we are not around. Which has happened twice this summer here.

Dmetcalf

We leave our on 24/7 for the fridge. But of course the transfer switch dedicated to the fridge went out around the first of August and had to get a new switch. We leave it on in case the park has electrical issues and we are not around. Which has happened twice this summer here.

Thank you for the reply. This is the first RV we have owned that has a residential fridge in it so I’m learning more about that. Thanks again..!

david-steph2018

Trust me I understand the learning curve on these things. One thing I learned was to make sure to turn off both battery disconnects when you park it when you are not connected to shore power. Left our on for 3 days and the batteries were dead when I went out to get it ready for a trip.

jhardin

I can't trust mine. I replaced (warrenty) my first inverter because the GFCI breaker would trip everytime when disconnecting from shore power and traveling. Now that it has been replaced it still will trip when i disconnect from shore power and traveling just not as often. (No one seems to know why)I had to install a green 120 volt led light (plugged into inverter) that I can see from the mirror on truck. When it goes out I pull over and reset the GFCI breaker and on my way again. This is the only way I can feel confident my inverter is working? Also the green light in the control panel will be lit showing its working. FYI, the green lite in control panel will be lit inverter is on. Actually it is on , but the GFCI can be tripped and you will not know unless you check your fridge. That being said, the green light in the control panel can be very misleading.

Dmetcalf

Trust me I understand the learning curve on these things. One thing I learned was to make sure to turn off both battery disconnects when you park it when you are not connected to shore power. Left our on for 3 days and the batteries were dead when I went out to get it ready for a trip.

Thank you for this. Good to know.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't trust mine. I replaced (warrenty) my first inverter because the GFCI breaker would trip everytime when disconnecting from shore power and traveling. Now that it has been replaced it still will trip when i disconnect from shore power and traveling just not as often. (No one seems to know why)I had to install a green 120 volt led light (plugged into inverter) that I can see from the mirror on truck. When it goes out I pull over and reset the GFCI breaker and on my way again. This is the only way I can feel confident my inverter is working? Also the green light in the control panel will be lit showing its working. FYI, the green lite in control panel will be lit inverter is on. Actually it is on , but the GFCI can be tripped and you will not know unless you check your fridge. That being said, the green light in the control panel can be very misleading.

Excellent info. Thank you.