Possible hacker

olcoon

Recently I've been getting an email show up in my junk mail box from "someone" stating they know my pass word, and something about installing a virus. I haven't opened the email, and won't, I just delete it. However it states the password that I've used just for the HOC forum. I've never logged out of the forum, as I felt that (at least for this site) it wasn't needed. Just wanted to pass this along, in case something pops up under my user name that is off the wall, obscene, or otherwise.

I've changed my password, and will start logging off when I leave the site. This is just an FYI post, so far, at least to my knowledge there have been no issues.

GK2018

That's not good, hopefully nothing comes of it and nobody else is affected!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BLR

That's why we only use Tapatalk.
Haven't been on a laptop top for 3+ years

Barbara

Sent from BLR Logistics

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I got that, too. It’s a scam and they are hoping to scare you into sending them bitcoins as ransom. The password they tried on me was one I changed years ago. Got it from some corporate data breach. Just delete it after setting a filter in your Junk mail box to block them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary521

I got the same e-mail too. Maybe 4 or 5 months ago. So possibly if we all got the same e-mail, the connection could be this forum. I ran a scan to clean out all the malware, spyware. etc and changed all my passwords. I got the same e-mail a couple times again showing the old forum password. So far the world has not stopped.

jerryjay11

Yup! Got it too! I changed all PW and deleted message. But before deleting I sent it to my server's abuse link.

P.S. It wasn't a PW I was using for the account in question. And there were a few other offensive, dirty thoughts that were mentioned in the email that mde it obvious the sender didn't have anything on me.

JohnDar

It's right up there with the phone message (recordings) that the IRS is after me, or there are legal proceedings being filed against me and I better call Mr. Ahmquanna Rapebutti, or else.

olcoon

Well, it sounds like I'm in good company! I knew it was a scam right off, just wanted to make sure everyone knew that in case they started making posts on here.

jerryjay11

I also have been getting emails claiming to be Verizon telling me I have an order or my email is to be shut down. They are obvious not from Verizon. Same deal, "DELETE"

JohnDar

You can copy the e-mails to the Verizon IT Security team by forwarding it to: phishing@verizon.com

Thanks, Bill. I just added that one to my list of addresses to forward scam/extortion messages to. That's what they really are, extortion attempts, and they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, including hanging by the neck until dead.