2019 torque t32 towing problems with porpoising

bradapp

I am looking for someone else that has a t32 or similar. I have seen only a couple people with them out there, both towing with a 3/4 ton. I am towing with a 2011 f250, short wheel base, 4x4. 6.7l diesel. We now have around 3000 miles this year and am growing more frustrated by the trip. I purchased the Reese Stedi flex 14000# WDH when we bought the camper. I have the coach riding almost perfectly level, when i have around 20 psi in my truck air bags. I do not have much problem with sway, but horrible problem with porpoising. Does not seem to matter how much or how little air is in the bags. matter of fact, more air makes it worse. Also when my razr is in the back is worse too. Hate to think i may be needing a new truck to fix this problem. My GCVW is 21500, which is well below the 23500 GCVW that Ford says is the limit. Also, anybody, TRUTHFULLY, get any better than 8 mpg towing one of these things. Other than that, we absolutely love it when we get to where we are going.

hoefler

Set the hitch up correctly with out any air in the air bags, truck level and trailer level. You have a light steer axle.

NP_Chief

I have a Torque TT that I pull with a 2005 Ford Excursion V10. I get 7-8 MPG pulling at 55-60, I learned a long time ago not to get in a hurry. And we usually set the GPS to avoid interstates, the scenery is better on state routes anyway. As far as your towing issue, have you tried tightening up one more link on your weight distribution?

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Check the torque on the nuts and bolts to make sure they are all still up to the right torque settings as in your manual.

Last edited:

vpnman

Set the hitch up correctly with out any air in the air bags, truck level and trailer level. You have a light steer axle.

+1 had this issue with my previous truck and travel trailer. Airbags negate the benefits that the weight distro. hitch gives you and is probably the source of our issues. I can vouch from personal experience.

bradapp

truck and trailer were set up within a quarter inch, as per reese instructions with the hitch. hitch bolts are all tight and torqued to their specs. The only thing i have never done is get an actual scale hitch weight. relied upon heartlands tongue weight figures!!

- - - Updated - - -

I have a Torque TT that I pull with a 2005 Ford Excursion V10. I get 7-8 MPG pulling at 55-60, I learned a long time ago not to get in a hurry. And we usually set the GPS to avoid interstates, the scenery is better on state routes anyway. As far as your towing issue, have you tried tightening up one more link on your weight distribution?

Dang man!!!! you are feeding a hungry beast too!!! hahah

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
truck and trailer were set up within a quarter inch, as per reese instructions with the hitch. hitch bolts are all tight and torqued to their specs. The only thing i have never done is get an actual scale hitch weight. relied upon heartlands tongue weight figures!!
Check the brackets and see if they are slipping. Retorque or align as needed.
You also mentioned not having getting weighed.

Check your weight and see if shifting weight toward or away from the tongue makes a difference. If your not over weight you could add water to one of your tanks farther forward of your axles and see if that helps.

avvidclif

Is that with zero air in the bags?

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I had this problem with my previous truck and a new set of Bilstein Shocks cured my problem.

bradapp

minimum air in bags as per air-lift recommendations. I believe 5 psi

- - - Updated - - -

I upgraded to bilsteins last year.

MCTalley

Per fuel mileage, we pull our 15.5K Big Country fifth wheel with a F-350 DRW and MPG averages about 9 MPG on good, level ground, no wind. Worst I've seen climbing through the Rockies with a stiff head-wind was 6.5. Best was 10.3 with a tail-wind. Also, I have a 3.73:1 rear axle ratio. You might likely have a taller ratio (like 3.55:1 or 3.35:1) which might play a part in your lower fuel mileage.

If you're pulling much above 65 MPH, expect mileage to drop dramatically with additional speed. (Also, check your trailer tires for their max speed rating - it might be 65 MPH).

bradapp

Well sir, glad to see someone else honest about their fuel mileage. I tried religiously on this last trip to keep it between 60 and 65. didnt seem to make any difference than 70. 8mpg is the best. Oh well........ I do have 3:55 rear end, and you are correct, cheapo tires are e rated and only good to 65. The 6.7l max torque is about 1600 rpm. any slower than 65, and it luggs down and keeps shifting to 5th gear, and at 70, it'll stay in 6th gear, but at 1800-1900 rpm, and above 1600 you start loosing torque.

Oldelevatorman

I seem to get the same mileage all the time, towing or not unless I’m climbing hills. 13.4 when we left Tucson recently and when we got to Sacramento it was at 12. Back at 13.4 not towing the last couple weeks. ‘15 F350 DRW towing 18K Landmark when travelling. I run 30psi in my AirLift bags! What hitch and pin box do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

minimum air in bags as per air-lift recommendations. I believe 5 psi

- - - Updated - - -

I upgraded to bilsteins last year.

The minimum is 5 lbs to keep from damage BUT just sitting still and setting up the trailer it won't hurt. I would just remove the core and set up the load leveler correctly then put the min in and see what happens.