Start-up capacitor

Lou_and_Bette

OK, I have seen the threads concerning the EasyStart Soft start device that, I believe, replaces the capacitor on my a/c units lowering the Amps needed to initiate the compressor function, and, in theory, making it possible to run one/both a/c’s on a smaller generator. This device runs about $300 and I would need one for each of my 2 a/c units if I wanted to run them on a small generator. Recently, I had a discussion with a friend of mine who is one of those guys who seems to be able to fix anything, no it’s not Porthole. He recommended adding a SUPCO SPP6 Relay/Capacitor Hard Starting Kit (sold on Amazon, I wil attempt to attach a link) to the present capacitor and achieve the same thing, cost $9.71 w free shipping. Since I know very little about this subject, I would like to get some feedback/advice from those who have more knowledge in this area than I. So, I guess the question is, can I get by with the cheap solution or go with the higher priced device.

https://www.amazon.com/SPP6-Capacitor-Increase-Starting-Torque/dp/B0002YTLFE

Bogie

I don't know the answer to your question. But based on the Q&A on Amazon (especially the third question) and some of the comments for those who gave it three stars, I'm not so sure this will work for you.

pegmikef

I know this was a hot topic a few years ago, but then the procedure was to replace the OEM capacitor with one of any number of "hard" start capacitors. My understanding was that the capacitor would store up more amperage than the OEM one before passing it on to the device. I eve mn bought one, but it turned out that my Honda 2000 generators were capable of starting and running my A/C. Starting Amperage was around 28 amps, but the running amperage fluctuated between 12 and 14 amps. There were several you tube videos on the subject and procedure for change the capacitors.

jbeletti

Lou - do a bit more research before you buy the hard-start capacitor.

Here's a link to the MicroAir EasyStart product page.

Here's a link to an installation video where the installer mentions a hard-start capacitor.

Full-disclosure: I installed an EasyStart 364 in my 15k air Coleman air conditioner so I could start it with my 3000 watt inverter. Works perfectly.

Lou_and_Bette

Thank you to all who replied. I now understand the difference between the two. I will be looking into buying the Easystart system.

jbeletti

Just checked - looks like I won't see you at either of the 2 upcoming TX rallies. I wanted to install the EasyStart for you if you got one.

I suggest you call MicroAir tomorrow to chat with them about your specific use-case to confirm that its a good fit.

*(609) 250-2636 - I spoke to Roger there - super helpful.

Lou_and_Bette

Thank you for the offer to install, but we are in Indiana for a couple more days then back to the RV in Mississippi where we winter. Also, thank you for all the info and for all you do for all the cub members. That’s the only problem with being so mobile, so many friends in so many places making it hard to see everyone. Hope to see you and Nancy down the road in the near future.

jbeletti

Thank you for the offer to install, but we are in Indiana for a couple more days then back to the RV in Mississippi where we winter. Also, thank you for all the info and for all you do for all the cub members. That’s the only problem with being so mobile, so many friends in so many places making it hard to see everyone. Hope to see you and Nancy down the road in the near future.

See you and Bette down the road!

SLO

Has anyone installed the EasyStart on two A/C and been able to run both A/Cs on a 30 amp shore power? Many places we were at in Canada and Alaska this summer only had 30 amp service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Has anyone installed the EasyStart on two A/C and been able to run both A/Cs on a 30 amp shore power? Many places we were at in Canada and Alaska this summer only had 30 amp service.

I can run both ACs on 30 amp without the easy start thing provided the WH and fridge are on propane BUT I also have some solar on my roof so the converter is never on. My “running” ACs each draw 12-13 amps. Same scenario I can run one AC off my 2000 Honda genny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

We made that trip in 2015 and I don’t recall worrying about the AC. We ran the fireplace and the furnace!!!!
We had snow and sleet in Jasper NP middle of July

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk