Pop Out Supports

OSH4007

Hey All,

Anyone have thoughts on pop out supports/stabilizers? Worth the $$?

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

SNOKING

Hey All,

Anyone have thoughts on pop out supports/stabilizers? Worth the $$?

Thanks
Mike

Ask your self what happens to the slide if the trailer is lowered with the support in place. Flat tire, brain fart etc. Manufacturers have NOT recommended them for years. These go back to when trailers had true tip outs. Save your money and spend it on JT Strong Arms

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 16

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If you are talking about slide-out stabilizers...I loved them when I had my Trail Runner bumper pull TT.

That Heartland Trail Runner absolutely needed them if more than two people sat in the giant U-shaped dinette!

All of those wives tales about having flat tires and having them destroy a slide are just that...total fiction...nothing but 'What if's?'!

There is not one single account out there where this has happened!

If you need them to stabilize your camper and slide...get them!

You won't regret it!

Don't need them with my current 5'ver (which is for sale right now)...

But when we get back into RV'ing again we will be going back to a bumper pull TT and will get those stabilizers if we need them!

Here are my old ones (which I gave away at an HOC Rally in Colorado) in action...

TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095110323.jpg TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095153310.jpg
Click on photos to enlarge

JohnD

Again...this is all conjecture with no real-world examples of any of this ever happening.

And the tire going flat thing...think about it...if the other stabilizers are holding your RV, then how exactly can the trailer sink with them deployed if a tire goes flat?

It just won't happen.

I used them for the 2 1/2 years I owned my Trail Runner and will use them again if I ever get an RV that needs them.

danemayer

I think the article is suggesting that if a tire goes flat, the support might damage the slide. It's not suggesting that the support might cause a flat tire.

JohnD

Seems that many think that if a trailer tire goes flat while the trailer's supports are down...that the trailer will go down, too.

Chances are that if a trailer tire goes flat while the trailer's supports are down, the flat tire will not be discovered until the supports are raised.

That is the point I was trying to make.

SNOKING

Seems that many think that if a trailer tire goes flat while the trailer's supports are down...that the trailer will go down, too.

Chances are that if a trailer tire goes flat while the trailer's supports are down, the flat tire will not be discovered until the supports are raised.

That is the point I was trying to make.

You do realize the OP is talking about a Cyclone 407 with 6 point landing gear and not a "lite" TT?

JohnD

Then obviously he doesn't need them...I didn't notice they had a Cyclone

Just like I don't need them on my smaller ultra lite 5'ver.

But that still doesn't discount the fact that many bumper pull TT's with large slides with a dinette that seats six people will benefit from them greatly.

And the scare tactics that many use to discount their use are mostly false rumors at best made by RV'ers that have never used them.

The supports aren't really needed to support the weight of the slide itself when it is deployed...

But to help stop sag and bounce when that slide is out and loaded up inside with people using it for what it was intended.

SNOKING

Then obviously he doesn't need them...I didn't notice they had a Cyclone

Just like I don't need them on my smaller ultra lite 5'ver.

But that still doesn't discount the fact that many bumper pull TT's with large slides with a dinette that seats six people will benefit from them greatly.

And the scare tactics that many use to discount their use are mostly false rumors at best made by RV'ers that have never used them.

The supports aren't really needed to support the weight of the slide itself when it is deployed...

But to help stop sag and bounce when that slide is out and loaded up inside with people using it for what it was intended.

And you believe the manufacturers of said trailers would condone the use of them? If the manufacturer believe they where needed, would they not included them? Chris

JohnD

And you believe the manufacturers of said trailers would condone the use of them? If the manufacturer believe they where needed, would they not included them? Chris

I guess I could argue back about how many other things or mods RV'ers add to their RV's that the manufacturers don't condone the use of?

But they/we do it anyway.

OSH4007

Hey everyone, Thanks for all your feedback.....Whoa I didnt realize this topic was a hot button!

To me it seems logical to use the supports if you are staying in your RV for an extending period. Short periods are fine Im sure. I dont understand the argument that the slide could be damaged if a tire goes flat? I have 3 jacks holding to RV up and I would have to loose pressure in all 3 tires at the same time which seems very unlikely.

Anyways, I do appreciate all of your responses and I think Ive got some more research to do.

Mike

danemayer

I dont understand the argument that the slide could be damaged if a tire goes flat? I have 3 jacks holding to RV up and I would have to loose pressure in all 3 tires at the same time which seems very unlikely.

Many travel trailers don't come with a levelup system. There are front landing jacks, but most of the weight is on the tires.

Even so, most trailers with slideouts probably have at least 2 axles; so 2 tires might have to go flat on the same side.

SNOKING

Hey everyone, Thanks for all your feedback.....Whoa I didnt realize this topic was a hot button!

To me it seems logical to use the supports if you are staying in your RV for an extending period. Short periods are fine Im sure. I dont understand the argument that the slide could be damaged if a tire goes flat? I have 3 jacks holding to RV up and I would have to loose pressure in all 3 tires at the same time which seems very unlikely.

Anyways, I do appreciate all of your responses and I think Ive got some more research to do.

Mike

I would save your money, support under that living room slide will not make a noticeably difference. Now the slide in slide bedroom slide might be a difference issue!!!

cjb2283

Just my 2 cents...I have a bumper pull with an overly large slide with two dogs and two kids. All of which have no care in the world how they tromp around. I recently picked up a used set of slide stabilizers. They make the world of a difference. When my kids are jumping around in the dinette, there is hardly a notice to the rest of the coach. When I install them, I don't run them up to lift the slide, I just snug them up, enough that a light tug on them won't pull them out. But you could definitely kick them out. As for the warnings about using them? The odds of a tire going flat, a main stabilizer giving out, what ever...I will take those odds. Are they required? Nope. Do I install them every time? Any trip over one night. Do I worry? Nope, I worry more about my kids playing with them and pulling them out.