Shut off valves

Can anyone tell me about installing shut off valves on my freshwater tank overflow valves? I plan to close the valves while traveling to contain water. Where to buy shut off valves? Etc.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have 1 vent on each side. I just used another piece of 1/2" pex line and insalled a valve on each side. The hard part is remembering to open them after you get set up and start using your pump.

We only have 1 park on the coast that we need a full tank to make it all 7 days without hook ups. So i don't close them very often.
c218306a02b76e9fdb707ff794c22a7a.jpg
e75e615c991b14fbca1c2121e718dd34.jpg
97415c4b197ae34543fd6a2518b30854.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

No not at all. I don't do it very often. I did all the time on my toy hauler.
I run with about 1/3 most of the time.

RoadJunkie

If you install valves on your overflow openings, be sure that the valves are open when you connect to city water. If your Anderson valve fails, or the check-valve on your pump fails, water will fill and perhaps over fill your holding tank. This will likely cause overflow to soak your underbelly. This failure has occurred with others.

Lynn1130

As Roadjunkie said. If you don't you will expand the tanks and that is not good. Besides soaking it can blow the hose that connects two tanks off if you have that and then it is a major repair.

I only fill tanks full when we boondock and have had not problems. I do not travel with water in the tanks, or at least more than about 10 gallons. Too much additional weight.

I open all valves, start filling and as the valves begin to overflow I close them, leaving the last open until the fill hose is removed.

Thanks Lynn1130 and Roadjunkie, I’ll take the advice and wait until I get closer my destination to fill tank. This is the first time I will have to use the freshwater tank and may not install the shutoff valve . So, all of the reply’s have been very helpful Again Thanks! Bigfoot

CDN

B and B
I extended mine with some 5/8 clear hose I had left over and a couple gear clamps. I whittled some wood plugs, they stop the flow and drip and will allow air back in if I forget to take them out. I plan on adding a full pex run to the docking station. there is a spot to crimp this on. This would be left open all the time and never have to worry about forgetting. This is my next mod cycle for April 2020.

Lynn1130

Just a suggestion but you may still want to put valves on the overflows.

I do not fill anywhere but from my home system. Most public dump stations have water, but there is no way I would us potable water from a dump station. I have serious how "potable" it really is.

I have found that a bumpy forest road, or even turning a corner on a city street cause water to slosh out. You can lose a lot of water in a short distance and find you have 1/3 of your supply gone when you arrive.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Just a suggestion but you may still want to put valves on the overflows.

I do not fill anywhere but from my home system. Most public dump stations have water, but there is no way I would us potable water from a dump station. I have serious how "potable" it really is.

I have found that a bumpy forest road, or even turning a corner on a city street cause water to slosh out. You can lose a lot of water in a short distance and find you have 1/3 of your supply gone when you arrive.
This is why I unstalled the valves on ours. I would have a trail of water from my home all the way to the coast. We do a 6 night 7 day stay and need every gallon of fresh water I can get.

RoadJunkie

I installed valves and added an administrative control, "Remove Before Flight", that "reminds" me that the valves are closed before I hook up city water. I use several of these tags, such on the closed latch to remind me to lower the Satellite Dish. I know, I know...it's also on the checklist.

20190920_091053.jpg20190920_091112 copy.jpg

Attachments

• 20190920_091112.jpg
    20190920_091112.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 29

gasman

Camp Socializer
We travel full time in ours. We always carry about a half tank of water just in case. You never know when a park will a broken line and have the water shut off. I put valves on both overflows. I learned the hard way to always open one of the valves when we are parked, whether using he tank or city water. Prior to travel we close the valve.