Just bought a new Cyclone 4005

MikeNHeidi

I’ve been lurking on a lot of forums doing my research and wow... there is a lot of information and a lot of opinions! Anyway, we do our walk around/predelivery inspection Saturday. I have one of the list from another forum but wondered if there is anything specific that I should look for that are known cyclone issues that I should pay special attention to. I do not plan to take it until everything is perfect. I have time and am not rushed.

Thanks much!

Mike

danemayer

Hi MikenHeidi,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Taking your time is a good idea when taking delivery on a new rig. You'll want to check out the operation of everything in the rig and ask questions so you know 1) that everything works correctly, and 2) that you know how to operate everything.

One of our owners has put together a comprehensive Pre-Delivery Inspection Checklist to help you through the process. You'll find it about 1/2 way down in this folder.

MikeNHeidi

Hi MikenHeidi,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Taking your time is a good idea when taking delivery on a new rig. You'll want to check out the operation of everything in the rig and ask questions so you know 1) that everything works correctly, and 2) that you know how to operate everything.

One of our owners has put together a comprehensive Pre-Delivery Inspection Checklist to help you through the process. You'll find it about 1/2 way down in this folder.

Awesome and thank you for the welcome. It’s a bit overwhelming of a rig especially since it’s the first we’ve ever owned. 5th wheels, travel trailers, motorhomes are all kinda foreign to us but we’re excited to learn and start a new adventure!

jmarnell

Congratulations on the new Cyclone. We love our 4005 and have had very few issues in 2 years. But the most notable after taking delivery that we didn't notice until using it for the first time was that they put the wrong steps for the rear patio in the rig. Apparently there are 2 different styles and the dealer had to swap them out so we could get them attached! Other than that just going through the PDI checklist should cover everything.

MikeNHeidi

Congratulations on the new Cyclone. We love our 4005 and have had very few issues in 2 years. But the most notable after taking delivery that we didn't notice until using it for the first time was that they put the wrong steps for the rear patio in the rig. Apparently there are 2 different styles and the dealer had to swap them out so we could get them attached! Other than that just going through the PDI checklist should cover everything.

Hey thanks so much! It’s a great rig from what I can see and from what I’ve researched. You do bring up a topic I need to research before Saturday. What is the best extended warranty on the market and offers mobile service?

Thoughts?

MikeNHeidi

We took delivery of our 2019 Cyclone 4005! We’re excited to be new owners of this toy hauler.
198878af60c5cc494dc63616156814d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

Hey thanks so much! It’s a great rig from what I can see and from what I’ve researched. You do bring up a topic I need to research before Saturday. What is the best extended warranty on the market and offers mobile service?

Thoughts?

None. They're betting it won't break and since they know the failure rate and I don't I'll go along with them. AC's have a 2 year mfg warranty and most fridges. I'm betting most folks never get their moneys worth. My 2 cents

danemayer

You do bring up a topic I need to research before Saturday. What is the best extended warranty on the market and offers mobile service?

Thoughts?

You may hear from some who have had good experiences and from others who have had bad experiences. These 3rd party service contracts (not actually a warranty) vary quite a bit in terms and conditions. So regardless of what you hear about any particular company, I'd suggest you read the fine print. Check to see what specifically is covered, and what is excluded. You might be surprised at the exclusions.

Deductibles vary, requirements for pre-authorization and repair cost estimates vary, and who is considered a qualified servicer may vary.

When we bought our 2011, we got a 3 year Good Sam policy. Like many, they exclude axle damage (usually caused by road hazards). Our TV died and they were willing to cover cost of repair that exceeded the deductible or contribute that much toward a new TV. But first we had to take the TV to a repair shop to get a repair cost estimate. Cost of repair was less than the deductible. Refrigerator cooling unit died. Dometic provided a new cooling unit at no charge. Good Sam paid the labor charge, after deductible. Bottom line, the reimbursement on the refrigerator cooling unit was just about the cost of the 3 year premium.

Our experience with Good Sam was ok in that we didn't have any arguments over who could do the repair (but mobile service wasn't involved in ours). I wasn't thrilled about having to take the TV to get a repair cost estimate because the shop charged for the estimate if the repairs were declined. As I recall, Good Sam wouldn't cover the charge for a declined repair.

In the case of mobile service travel charges, I'd be surprised if you find a company that reimburses that.

MikeNHeidi

You may hear from some who have had good experiences and from others who have had bad experiences. These 3rd party service contracts (not actually a warranty) vary quite a bit in terms and conditions. So regardless of what you hear about any particular company, I'd suggest you read the fine print. Check to see what specifically is covered, and what is excluded. You might be surprised at the exclusions.

Deductibles vary, requirements for pre-authorization and repair cost estimates vary, and who is considered a qualified servicer may vary.

When we bought our 2011, we got a 3 year Good Sam policy. Like many, they exclude axle damage (usually caused by road hazards). Our TV died and they were willing to cover cost of repair that exceeded the deductible or contribute that much toward a new TV. But first we had to take the TV to a repair shop to get a repair cost estimate. Cost of repair was less than the deductible. Refrigerator cooling unit died. Dometic provided a new cooling unit at no charge. Good Sam paid the labor charge, after deductible. Bottom line, the reimbursement on the refrigerator cooling unit was just about the cost of the 3 year premium.

Our experience with Good Sam was ok in that we didn't have any arguments over who could do the repair (but mobile service wasn't involved in ours). I wasn't thrilled about having to take the TV to get a repair cost estimate because the shop charged for the estimate if the repairs were declined. As I recall, Good Sam wouldn't cover the charge for a declined repair.

In the case of mobile service travel charges, I'd be surprised if you find a company that reimburses that.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and insight. I really appreciate the time you took in your post. We are noobs and those wanting to take advantage of that can see us a mile away. The more we know the less vulnerable we are. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

Congratulations on your new fifth wheel.
Plan for alot of fun. Heartland warranty was excellent call them directly with your Vin # and always get pre-approved for all warranty
Personally I would suggest that you do a walk-through inspection before you sign. Have the deal hook up city water and electricity.
Look for water leaks , AC running correct. Hot water heater working on both ac and lp. Slides opening and closing. Hydraulic system running correct. Check all slides for proper movement in and out as well as the proper stow position.

As far as the extended warranty, I purchased Cornerstones 5 year Extended warranty two days before the MFG warranty expired. This allowed me to have the full 5 years of coverage.
I paid $1800.00 and cornerstone was excellent. They fixed everything to include five AC units , the norcold 1210 replacement, the tv and hot water heater. They spent over ten thousand.
I can only speak from my experience and with the contract that I had at that time as it was written then.
The did send a private inspector each time ( adjuster) but always fixed it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

IGotHosed

The extended warranties are good to have unfortunately we can’t get them to cover anything structurally. We’re having major issues with our Cyclone. Walls and pop down porch. The door is warped and the hinges look like they stripped them out when they actually mounted the door. But that’s nothing compared to the issue were having with Dexter axles. We’ve lost brakes on this coach five times. I’ve never had a structural problem with a coach or trailer before. Read the warranty paperwork closely! We’re pushing $9000 in repairs right now.

Thunderbolt

I am glad to see that you have the 4005. We have a 2018 model and the one thing that I would suggest you check is the amount of heat the furnace puts out in the living area. I am still working on that problem. We have tons of heat in the master bedroom but little in the living area. Also, the thermostat in the master bedroom controls the furnace. One other thing to look at is the small refrigerator in the outside kitchen area. We never did find a manual on it and it seems to have no adjust for temperature nor an off/on switch. We finally unplugged it when we were not using it. If you did not specify dual batteries when you purchased the unit it is a good idea due to the electrical load with the hydraulic slide outs and Level-Up systems. Do you have the residential refrigerator?

jmarnell

I am glad to see that you have the 4005. We have a 2018 model and the one thing that I would suggest you check is the amount of heat the furnace puts out in the living area. I am still working on that problem. We have tons of heat in the master bedroom but little in the living area. Also, the thermostat in the master bedroom controls the furnace. One other thing to look at is the small refrigerator in the outside kitchen area. We never did find a manual on it and it seems to have no adjust for temperature nor an off/on switch. We finally unplugged it when we were not using it. If you did not specify dual batteries when you purchased the unit it is a good idea due to the electrical load with the hydraulic slide outs and Level-Up systems. Do you have the residential refrigerator?

On your furnace issue, you might want to check the duct connections on the side of the furnace in the basement if you haven't already. I recently upgraded to the new brass 4-way Anderson water valve, and while making the waterline connections I noticed one of the ducts had come loose from the furnace. It didn't look like they fit very tightly, the end just slips in and twists. I've bought some metal tape for ductwork and will get back in there and seal up the connections when I get a chance.

Congrats! We, too, have a 2019 4005 and love it. We've had a few issues with drain plumbing, but nothing significant. We will be going to Alaska in the next month or so and will find out if it fairs better than our 2018 cedar creek hathaway.
We did trade out the nor cold fridge for a residential model. Even tho we dry camp from time to time, we prefer the residential for space and ice making capability.
Enjoy!

On your furnace issue, you might want to check the duct connections on the side of the furnace in the basement if you haven't already. I recently upgraded to the new brass 4-way Anderson water valve, and while making the waterline connections I noticed one of the ducts had come loose from the furnace. It didn't look like they fit very tightly, the end just slips in and twists. I've bought some metal tape for ductwork and will get back in there1st and seal up the connections when I get a chance.

Thanks! I just discovered an issue with the Anderson valve as well. Fresh water tanks fills when valve is set to city water. This has happened 2 times. What did you replace it with?
Thanks again.

jmarnell

Thanks! I just discovered an issue with the Anderson valve as well. Fresh water tanks fills when valve is set to city water. This has happened 2 times. What did you replace it with?
Thanks again.

I bought the new all brass version of the 4 way Anderson valve. Ordered direct from the company. We had the same problem of the tank filling. New valve works great.

I bought the new all brass version of the 4 way Anderson valve. Ordered direct from the company. We had the same problem of the tank filling. New valve works great.

Thank you!
Terry

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats! We, too, have a 2019 4005 and love it. We've had a few issues with drain plumbing, but nothing significant. We will be going to Alaska in the next month or so and will find out if it fairs better than our 2018 cedar creek hathaway.
We did trade out the nor cold fridge for a residential model. Even tho we dry camp from time to time, we prefer the residential for space and ice making capability.
Enjoy!

Very interested to learn how your alaskan trip goes. I have the cyclone because my cedar creek developed some major issues on our Alaska trip last year. Slide rails on the largest slide needed to be upgraded as it turns out, they were not sufficient and a huge diagonal crack, floor to ceiling in the half bath. Additionally the frame less windows leaked allowing a fine film of dust greetingg us each evening. The cedar creek was a 2018 model.
Thanks
Terry

Dmetcalf

I did the same and I agree that the brass valve is a much better product..! Works as designed..!