Emergency brake switch broken...Can I bypass to get to the shop?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
The switch is a normally closed switch with the pin opening the circuit.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

danemayer

First of all, I'm assuming you know the breakaway switch is malfunctioning because the brakes are activated all the time.

If it stayed that way for an extended period, your brakes, and possibly the wheel bearings, may have been damaged.

Second, it would be dangerous to tow with a disabled breakaway switch. If the trailer broke away from the truck, the trailer wouldn't stop and people behind you could be killed by the runaway trailer.

Third, it's easy to replace the switch. You can probably get one at any RV dealership, or by calling Heartland, or from Amazon. As I recall, it's held in place with one screw. If you tug the 2 wires coming out of the switch, you can trace them back and inside the metal junction box under the pinbox. Disconnect your battery negative cable before taking the next step. Cut the wires from the old switch, run the wires from the new switch. Strip the ends and join wires with wire nuts and close up the box. Reconnect your battery negative cable. Test the new switch by pulling the cable while hooked to the truck - do a pull test to see if the brakes are activated. Put the cable plunger back in place right away.

If this is outside your comfort level, get a mobile servicer to come to you to replace the switch and check your brakes/bearings.

SLO

The switch is a normally closed switch with the pin opening the circuit.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Wouldn’t it be just the opposite. Normally open when pin is in place?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

Wouldn’t it be just the opposite. Normally open when pin is in place?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My understanding is that when the pin is in place, the switch is actuated, and the circuit is open. When the pin is pulled, the switch returns to rest, which is its normal position, and the circuit is closed (carries power). That would make it a normally closed switch.

Dan is correct, it’s a normally closed switch.
With the pin in place, it creates an abnormal condition, which is the open contact.
Also, be aware that in some states, maybe all, it is the law that you have an operating breakaway switch while towing.
The switch cost around $20.00 and only takes about 20 minutes at most to change out, most any RV dealer should have them on the shelve.
Tip, save your old pin and cable for a spare if it’s in good condition, but make sure it works in your new switch first.

Hockster