Well that’s a drag!

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
So we took off for our first long trip yesterday, made it to Winnemucca to find that the front corrugated cover had come partway off. Do to the sloppy workmanship, quite a few wires, hoses and cables were dragging on the ground damaging several of them.
We were camping here for the night anyway and I made a temporary brace and zip tied the wires, cables and hoses high up on the frame so we can spend the rest of our holiday trying to find someone to fix this.
We have contacted Heartland and we’ll see what happens.

5D2D0CC5-2D73-47A0-BAB5-62B84B045736.jpg070C64AE-F85E-4981-8D31-9A029A89C6AD.jpgB5652794-0A4C-4D9F-8D25-181D65BB1BD7.jpg

GK2018

That's no fun! I'd definitely check all the wires to make sure the metal isn't showing if they rubbed along the road and if so cover it up with some electrical tape. I was kind of surprised when looking at my wires that they just tucked them in the underbelly and left them hanging instead of securing them to the frame or something but easy fix if you dont count having to drop the chloroplast belly. Heartland is pretty good about fixing things we havent had many issues but definitely impressed for the few we have had fixed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
There are a couple of hydraulic lines that are badly scraped, a drain line cable that wore through and several wires that are not showing copper but are close.
That sad this is, none of this needed to happen if they were hung properly. I could have just needed to replace the corrugated material.
I’m not sure why it failed, it was pouring rain and we were going around 55-60 mph. if that helps.

GK2018

I definitely know the feeling I had an old 16 ft trailer that all my wires fell out on and I actually didnt catch it until I ran the wires over with the tires and sucked one of the brake lights off the rear end I was definitely not a happy camper that day lol. Now I always make sure all the wires are strapped up properly!

danemayer

I’m not sure why it failed, it was pouring rain and we were going around 55-60 mph. if that helps.

Picture #3 appears to show a rectangular cut was made in the coroplast. Has there been prior work done on the coroplast or underbelly?

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
Picture #3 appears to show a rectangular cut was made in the coroplast. Has there been prior work done on the coroplast or underbelly?

Some of the fasteners were installed by a Ramset and were shot too deep. The washers cut mostly through the Coroplast and it ribboned from the unfastened front edge down to midrib with only one fastener and on to the other end. The edges are still attached to the trailer. I just cut the pieces off with a utility knife.
Heartland did give us some dealers names and we will be contacting them for a look. Hopefully, they can look at it, order parts, the make an appointment to do the repairs. I’m not hearing a lot of good things about Camping World but they are an authorized repair place.

wdk450

It's a miracle that this didn't happen on the delivery trip from Elkhart, Indiana to central California.

mlpeloquin

Camping World? Any independent RV repair shop can work with Heartland. You gust need to get Heartlands approval up front. Camping World?!!!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
What is a Ramset? The three Heartlands we have owned used used self tapping metal screws with large washers to attach the underbelly Choroplast.

120e2d06a3cacf1476bd54786d0adf55.jpg

Maybe Camping World did a shoddy repair attempt prior to your purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldelevatorman

Some of the fasteners were installed by a Ramset and were shot too deep. The washers cut mostly through the Coroplast and it ribboned from the unfastened front edge down to midrib with only one fastener and on to the other end. The edges are still attached to the trailer. I just cut the pieces off with a utility knife.
Heartland did give us some dealers names and we will be contacting them for a look. Hopefully, they can look at it, order parts, the make an appointment to do the repairs. I’m not hearing a lot of good things about Camping World but they are an authorized repair place.

Why would anyone in their right mind use a Ramset to fasten coroplast? Not smart, they are usually for fastening metal studs in construction. Self tapping screws are what they should have used. They’re a bit easier to remove, lol! Sorry that happened. Move on from those knuckleheads fast.

mlpeloquin

Why would anyone in their right mind use a Ramset to fasten coroplast? Not smart, they are usually for fastening metal studs in construction. Self tapping screws are what they should have used. They’re a bit easier to remove, lol! Sorry that happened. Move on from those knuckleheads fast.

Look under your rig and see the Ramset fasteners with large fender washers. They are self drilling and tapping fasteners. Quick and easy for factory assembly.

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
What is a Ramset? The three Heartlands we have owned used used self tapping metal screws with large washers to attach the underbelly Choroplast.

https://www.ramset.com/

27CA44E6-3B01-41A6-94A0-E3C04505CE65.jpg

You can see where the plastic is split from the impact.

My thoughts when I first saw this. There are eleven in the front panel and then the didin’t put any fasteners in the leading edge and only one in the midrib.

Attachments

• 0CF25E57-D55B-43CA-8B86-5D0E34C92F06.jpg
    0CF25E57-D55B-43CA-8B86-5D0E34C92F06.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 78

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
What a terrible option for Choroplast install! How do you remove and reinstall if you need in the underbelly?

Here’s our 5th wheel. This metal self-tapping screw and washer have been removed and reinstalled at least 4 times in the 3.5 years we’ve owned it as we’ve needed to investigate under there.

75b781c4e4970050a5a21163490ee9ce.jpg

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
What a terrible option for Choroplast install! How do you remove and reinstall if you need in the underbelly?

Here’s our 5th wheel. This metal self-tapping screw and washer have been removed and reinstalled at least 4 times in the 3.5 years we’ve owned it as we’ve needed to investigate under there.

Well, I just removed one of the nails and it isn’t easy. I certainly won’t be using those on the new piece.

We’ve talked to several authorized repair places and no one is able to work on it in a timely manner (months from now or not unless I bought it from them), which is just peachy.

I might end up repairing this on my own.

GK2018

They used a combination of Ramset and self tapping screws on ours too, I wound up using a dremal to cut each ramset off and I put self tapping screws next to theirs I didnt feel like tapping through their holes after having to zip them off. I didnt realize those were called ramsets though I thought they were just cheap terrible self tapping screws

CDN

B and B
One thing I did on the leading edge of the corplast was add extra fasteners and sealed the entire edge with caulking to prevent water ingress when driving in the rain. Also added sealing tape along all joints to minimize the same where practical.

sengli

The rigs start off when built, upside down. So thats why there is so much wiring just lumped into the belly of these RV's. They started using those nail type fasteners about 4 years ago, instead of the screws. I never liked them either. They are quick and easy to shoot in I would bet.

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
One thing I did on the leading edge of the corplast was add extra fasteners and sealed the entire edge with caulking to prevent water ingress when driving in the rain. Also added sealing tape along all joints to minimize the same where practical.

As you probably guessed, I’m doing the work myself. I replaced the damaged wires, fixed the scrapes on the hydraulic lines, replaced the busted cables and fastened all the lines to the sides of the trailer frame.
I used linoleum edging on the front edge and the midrib for added support and more that the 11 nails and 5 screws that they used. I’m looking at replacing all the nails in the back piece too.
I can’t even come close to thinking that this would ever be water tight, there is just too many irregularities in the framework.

The rigs start off when built, upside down. So thats why there is so much wiring just lumped into the belly of these RV's. They started using those nail type fasteners about 4 years ago, instead of the screws. I never liked them either. They are quick and easy to shoot in I would bet.

This is is what makes the use of a ramset so wrong. You use them when nothing else will work, not when you have the most access. I did a quick count on my back piece and have more than 24 to remove and replace. And not fastening wires, hoses and cables is just not acceptable.

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
Well, I finished the repair. I’m using self tapping screws with rubber backed washers to hold the cloroplast on in addition to adding linoleum molding in the front and middle rib for extra support. Yes, there are more screws but I don’t mind.

I fixed the scraped wiring and had a company that repairs hydraulic lines look at my lines. The coating is rubbed off but the lines were sound. I’ll be replacing those soon, just for peace of mind.

I’ll be removing all of the nails in the back piece in a week or two also

I have no idea why anyone thinks this could be watertight at all. I have more holes throughout the underside of the rig than there should be.

This could have been so much worse.

.A232B3C3-9257-4329-B921-6CDAE2D81550.jpg

58A1536A-AA98-49DC-B179-265408695C70.jpg