Is There Some Sort of Craigslist RV Scam Going?

wdk450

Gang:
Just for something to do, I scan the various sections of the local Craigslist (San Diego right now) including the RV section.

In the past two weeks I have twice now seen relatively new used Heartland 5th wheel advertised for less than half of what I guess it should sell for. Something seems shady to me, and I e-mailed the sellers about this, and never got a reply.

Here is the posting I saw today: A 2017 Bighorn for $14,000: https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/d/san-diego-triple-slide-outs2017/6982971097.html

Looking at my previous E-mail to the seller, I think this is the same Rig: A 2017 Bighorn for $14000.

zolman

Yep there is and has been there for a couple of years. They are easy to distinguish. If it's too good to be true - it isn't true. They usually have just a few pictures of the exterior and no interior pictures. And the phone area code doesn't match the address.

I don't know what the intent is. A down payment scam? A "<wbr style="color: rgb(84, 84, 84); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">port-out scams," which is an attempt by hackers to capture your phone and use it for other purposes.

wdk450

I think the previous one on evidently the same rig was up for a short time then taken down.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep there is and has been there for a couple of years. They are easy to distinguish. If it's too good to be true - it isn't true. They usually have just a few pictures of the exterior and no interior pictures. And the phone area code doesn't match the address.

I don't know what the intent is. A down payment scam? A "<wbr style="color: rgb(84, 84, 84); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">port-out scams," which is an attempt by hackers to capture your phone and use it for other purposes.

About the phone area code not matching the address - In our modern cellphone era, and people moving around frequently, and not wanting to change their phone number, this can often happen. I, my daughter, and my son are all in that situation with our cellphones.

danemayer

Brings to mind the urban legend about the teenager buying a Porsche for $20. He bought it from the wife who's husband ran off to Hawaii with his secretary. The husband told the wife to sell the Bighorn Porsche and send him the money. She did.

CarterKraft

I usually like to google the e-mail address or phone number then the results are usually obvious. But I say it never hurts to check cause we all deserve a deal.

orion7144

When I was stationed in HI in the mid 90's I delivered pizza to make some extra cash. On one delivery there was a 68 GTO in the garage in great shape. When I asked for more info the lady said she did not know anything about it but was selling it for $1000. Turned out her husband was on deployment and was selling everything. Bet he wasn't happy when he got home.

Brings to mind the urban legend about the teenager buying a Porsche for $20. He bought it from the wife who's husband ran off to Hawaii with his secretary. The husband told the wife to sell the Bighorn Porsche and send him the money. She did.