replacement roof with RV Flex amour

sjandbj

I have a Big Country that is 5 years old and the roof has all of a sudden become gummy and looks like the top half is peeling away when you walk on it. I am not a big fan of rubber roofs and replaced on on my last RV myself. I was looking into a alternative. I researched two options RV Armour (a rolled on option) and RV Flex Amour (sprayed on).
Does anyone on the forum have any experience with either of these products. I would really like to only replace this roof once. I have been told by several that the coatings cannot be applied on top of the old roof due to the material break down. Any thoughts and opinions are welcomed.

Steve

lynndiwagoner

I have a 2014 Big Country that's doing the same thing and it is a manufacturing defect from 2014 or so. Evidently the gummy stuff is just a coating over a black EPDM membrane and has nothing to do with water proofness....according to the manufacturer. I called and was offered all new materials to replace the old roof or $1,000.00 to settle. The original warranty for the roof stays in place. I called around for someone to use the new materials and just charge for labor to put it on. Wow, big money. One guy wouldn't touch it without replacing all of the sheathing and the sheet metal rounded material. I hesitate to tear off a good, warrantied roof just for aesthetics. I took the $1,000 and will try and walk very carefully on it in hot weather. I am toying with the idea of that roll on rubber roof material in particularly gummy areas but it's been too hot. We'll see. Good luck.

MTPockets

You may be just as well off to trade in for a new BigHorn and use the roof cost towards the new rig.

wdk450

https://youtu.be/1uHUro2QBOs

Seen this video after I seen the mobile suite video.

This video is a good argument for putting the 4 inch wide Eternabond or Dicor tape sealant over the front and rear cap joints and the 2 inch wide version of the same tapes ALL the length of both sides of the roof at the roof/gutter joint. You DON'T have to recheck the tape every 90 days like caulk, and Eternabond has a 11 year warranty.

I again state: RV roof caulk on a rubber roof is a 1950's solution; RV thick elastic roof tape is the better, modern answer. Even better yet is to do the Eternabond/Dicor tape on critical roof joints then coat the entire roof with the sealing, white, elastic, HEAT REFLECTING, roof coating.

sjandbj

You may be just as well off to trade in for a new BigHorn and use the roof cost towards the new rig.
I am sure my CFO, aka wife, would never approve the expenditure. She has said after all the modifications I have done the rig is fine and I cannot start over.

sjandbj

So here is the latest news. I spoke to Don at Dicor. He did ask for me to send him pictures, a copy of the VIN sticker and the date of purchase. He then called me back a few days later and gave me two options. I will do my best to list them below.

1. A one time check of 1,000.00 and the membrane warranty would still be good for the remaining 7 years. ( After five years the Dicor warranty does not cover parts and labor only the membrane itself and the membrane is considered the black rubber material under the top color layer.) So for all intentions the warranty is pretty much worthless after 5 years.
2.The second option is they will send me a check for 2,750.00 and all the materials to have the roof replaced which would start the warranty all over again since the membrane would be new.

I am going to choose the second option since they will send me the check for the repairs and I do NOT have to have the repairs done but the roof will no longer be covered under any warranty. I am looking into roof options now and am leaning towards the RV Flex Amour spray on roof. This will eliminate the need to do annual maintenance and is much thicker. the added weight over the old roof is only about 80 lbs. This roof has a lifetime warranty.
I am not pleased that I have to deal with a roof problem this soon but Dicor has stepped up to the plate with a somewhat reasonable adjustment.

Regards,
Steve

Mike-n-Justina

That $2,750.00 allowance is not set in stone. They will do better if you just keep after them. Just get a few estimates and be professional about it with Don.

sjandbj

Well it has taken quite a while to finally get it done. But today I picked up our Big Country from Elite RV with a new roof. What a big difference. Next to installing a solar system this was the largest expense so far. They made the job easy and did this in one week. I will post an update after I have a chance this weekend to really look at it.

Steve

NYSUPstater

Did you go w/ a new rubber roof or RV/Flex Armour? 8am brain fart, but think it was "Tiger" who had at the Flex/RV Armour installed last year and had many pics of the before/after, but really haven't heard much about it since. Last year, I re-did the caulk where the roof meets the sides on all 4 sides and this is on a 3 year old coach. It's still in storage for few more weeks, but will be interesting to see how the caulk looks. We love the coach and if we have to may bite the bullet and have the RV/Flex Armour put on.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Did you go w/ a new rubber roof or RV/Flex Armour? 8am brain fart, but think it was "Tiger" who had at the Flex/RV Armour installed last year and had many pics of the before/after, but really haven't heard much about it since. Last year, I re-did the caulk where the roof meets the sides on all 4 sides and this is on a 3 year old coach. It's still in storage for few more weeks, but will be interesting to see how the caulk looks. We love the coach and if we have to may bite the bullet and have the RV/Flex Armour put on.

Yes we have the FlexArmor Roof. Still holding up great! I never worry about (small) tree branches or hail, or maintaining any seams.
https://rvroof.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjandbj

We had the RVFlex armor installed. I'm looking forward to not having to caulk the roof anymore.

TravelTiger

has anybody had their roof done by RV Roof Atlanta in Atlanta Georgia?

We had ours done in Denton, TX, but I talked long and hard with the owner. He said all of the Authorized Applicators go through intensive training and are held to a very high standard to use this proprietary system. Your roof warranty is through FlexArmor, and can be honored by any of the Applicators across the country.

The Denton owner also told me word of mouth is how they get most of their business, so it is very important to them that the customer is 100% satisfied.

I hope you take the plunge and get a FlexArmor roof. It’s one of those things, you wonder why rv manufacturers don’t use this from the get-go!

sjandbj

has anybody had their roof done by RV Roof Atlanta in Atlanta Georgia?

Ours was done at EliteRV in Palmetto, FL. I had spoke to both the main, Original installer, and the site in Palmetto. When I was talking to the site in the Jacksonville, FL area he stated to me that the process is the same at all sites and it did not matter the warranty was honored at all sites. I must have talked to to these people so much they were tired of me calling but they took the time to answer all my questions. I went as far as to drive to the Palmetto office to speak to the installers and take a look at the work. I have a hard time believing most RV repair shop since I have been promised so much and given so little in the past. I had even replaced the rubber roof on my last rig myself just to make sure it was done to the standard I was looking for. After doing it once I knew I did not want to do it again. My installation was a bit different that others they had done due to the way I had installed the solar panels earlier. Several years ago I installed custom brackets that I had made to the roof made out of aluminum angle stock. These brackets were never intended to be removed so I asked that they seal all the brackets just the way they are. That cost me a bit extra for all the labor but I felt it was worth it. The second thing I requested was that the entire rubber membrane be removed. This was for two reasons, the first was that the material was defective and when someone walked on it you left gummy foot prints all over the roof and sometimes you shoe got stuck. They originally said that it would need to be replaced then called back and said I could leave it on if I wanted to and save about 60 dollars in labor. I still chose to remove it for this reason. The weight! The new roof was going to add about 125 pounds to the trailer and I just don't have that extra weight to spare. By removing the old roof I saved at least 75 pounds maybe even more. I also got to see the condition of the entire wood layer and get anything repaired the first time if needed. Thankfully it looked great. The finial price for this was $7,900.00. I don't think I could have had a rubber roof put back on for that price since the labor rates in Florida are so high. I have attached a few of the picture that the installer took for me before the roof was sprayed. If anyone has any questions let me know. I could not be happier.Johnson.jpgJohnson2.jpgJohnson3.jpgJohnson4.jpgJohnson9.jpg

Attachments

• Roof Estimate.pdf
    732 KB · Views: 20

carl.swoyer

Had mine done in Green Cove Springs FL. Well worth it and much less money than a traditional reroof. I had water in the closet and register rv in spring Hill FL couldn't figure it out.
When I arrived in Green Cove Springs she said (the owner) I guarantee your acs are leaking because of how they are installed. Very happy
6c601890c4890cb589a788a3f1d975ec.jpg
577fd92b3177d1881688f3916dba4160.jpg
4551f3c8d257f1c8c94e919415fd0869.jpg
b4d60351f6aed16f6fed14ecc03c329e.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Flick

Yes we have the FlexArmor Roof. Still holding up great! I never worry about (small) tree branches or hail, or maintaining any seams.
https://rvroof.com

If the FlexArmor roof is as good as a lot of folk are finding out, that is that they last longer with a great warranty, no caulking, etc., why don't manufacturers pick up on this and perhaps begin offering them as OEM equipment.

You would think that the company that would be on the forefront with things like better roofs and colder and more efficient ac units, as examples, would have a leg up to move the rv industry into the future and be a true leader.

I reckon it won’t happen in my lifetime but if one bold company steps forward with some innovative features other than, let’s say, new graphics, others will have to follow or be left behind. Go figure.

TravelTiger

If the FlexArmor roof is as good as a lot of folk are finding out, that is that they last longer with a great warranty, no caulking, etc., why don't manufacturers pick up on this and perhaps begin offering them as OEM equipment.

You would think that the company that would be on the forefront with things like better roofs and colder and more efficient ac units, as examples, would have a leg up to move the rv industry into the future and be a true leader.

I reckon it won’t happen in my lifetime but if one bold company steps forward with some innovative features other than, let’s say, new graphics, others will have to follow or be left behind. Go figure.

Well, the application has to be in a pretty controlled environment, with a lot of prep beforehand (covering items that you don’t want coated, treating surfaces so they accept the chemicals, taping edges carefully, etc.) It also takes a lot of training and expertise to apply correctly, with only 8 seconds of play before the liquid (the consistency of molasses) becomes a solid. So labor to install is probably the biggest hurdle.

It also adds weight, and I’m sure rv manufacturers don’t want to add weight they cannot sell as “eye candy”. Most folks rarely look at their roof that closely and assume it’s “fine” until it’s damaged or leaking. Now on the top-of-the-line rigs, it would be a definite plus for full-timers or folks wanting the best of the best no matter the cost.