Got our eyes on a 2020 39MB, advice for newbies?

Hi everybody,

I did not expect to find a support community for the Heartland brand, let alone one as helpful as this. I am very encouraged reading through the threads here, especially the user guides!

That said, my wife and I (and our infant son) are very interested in a 39MB. We won't be moving it around much, but we'll be in it pretty often.

We are pretty new to this whole world. Any tips or insights we should know? There are some definite cosmetic issues that we will ask the dealer to fix and of course inspect the crap out of it.

Thank you!

jimtoo

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

When you go for PDI, or to pick it up, do a very good, slow inspection. Check everything from top to bottom and front to back. Make sure everything operates and you can operate everything. Have them have the water hooked up and check for leaks and even draining the tanks. Just check it all.

Also we have a great owners manuals and Heartland User Guide area in the Tools tab at top of page. A lot of the guides are written by members or owners that actually used the subject.

And we also have the best folks in the rv world right here to help out with opinions and suggestions.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

donr827

The list price is very negotiable. Hopefully some one who has purchased a trailer recently can give you more information on how much you should get off the list price. Also check out the reputation of the dealer.

NP_Chief

Welcome to the forum! Another vote here for Oregon_camper's PDI... it'll save you some headache in the long run.

Thank you for the responses so far! I printed the mentioned PDI document already, it seems excellent.

The dealer has a pretty good reputation it seems, plus our experience there has been very positive so far. The price is right in line with NADA too, but of course we are still going to negotiate.

At what point in the process should the PDI happen? I know before signing final paperwork, but what is the optimal timing? Ideally we want anything fixed before they get our down payment, but I'm not sure what's realistic.

mlpeloquin

Most dealers want you to sign and give the down payment while their staff is getting it ready for you. If this is the case, insist that you do a PDI prior to signing and all item will be addressed prior to signing even if it takes them a few days. Then you will inspect it again prior to signing. If they balk, walk. Once they have your money and the contract is signed, it could be weeks or months to get it addressed. Dealers do warranty work as a side business not a primary business. Getting rigs out the door is what their staffs primary job is. A few dealers are very good and will not delay fixing things, but they seem to be the exception.

Semi-Hex

Grand Poobah!
Find a dealer that can actually repair what they sell you. Some dealers can repair certain Heartland trailers others cannot repair them at all. Some only repair what they sell you. So, when you need warranty work, keep this in mind.

NP_Chief

Thank you for the responses so far! I printed the mentioned PDI document already, it seems excellent.

The dealer has a pretty good reputation it seems, plus our experience there has been very positive so far. The price is right in line with NADA too, but of course we are still going to negotiate.

At what point in the process should the PDI happen? I know before signing final paperwork, but what is the optimal timing? Ideally we want anything fixed before they get our down payment, but I'm not sure what's realistic.

Most dealers have lots with with full hook-ups... my suggestion would be to go spend at least one night (maybe two) in the unit at the lot and do your PDI then. If you do it that way, you will have plenty of time to take the PDI slow and methodical.

CoveredWagon

We spent 2 & 1/2 days at Lakeshore RV . it took that long to find a couple of small items, but they fixed all. When you're paying for something make sure you get it right. They did it willingly.

NYSUPstater

most dealers want you to sign and give the down payment while their staff is getting it ready for you. If this is the case, insist that you do a pdi prior to signing and all item will be addressed prior to signing even if it takes them a few days. Then you will inspect it again prior to signing. If they balk, walk. Once they have your money and the contract is signed, it could be weeks or months to get it addressed. Dealers do warranty work as a side business not a primary business. Getting rigs out the door is what their staffs primary job is. A few dealers are very good and will not delay fixing things, but they seem to be the exception.

x2 !!!!