Heartland Overhauls Bighorn Fiver Lineup

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
b00e7e7f3c1adb52390600c13679ea05.jpg

Sales Manager Todd Kucera and General Manager Andy Wesdorp are pictured in front of a new Bighorn fifth wheel.

SEPTEMBER 23, 2019

by: RV PRO Staff
In response to an increasingly diverse consumer base for its Bighorn luxury fifth wheel line, Heartland RV recently completed a major overhaul designed to aggressively attack multiple price points in the market while providing significant value for its consumers.

“We engineered a complete makeover from tip to tail on our Bighorn line,” said General Manager Andy Wesdorp. “Our goal was to offer something for everyone under the Bighorn label with targeted floorplans and price points that hit the heart of the fifth wheel market.

“The transformation resulted in a Bighorn brand that has a totally different look, top-down,” he added. “We also zeroed in on features, layouts and amenities that RVers are demanding to meet their needs on the road. Our entire team is focused on ‘majoring in the majors’ with regard to floorplan development.”

Wesdorp reported that “five new and one reimagined floorplan” will be introduced during next week’s Elkhart RV Dealer Open House at the Heartland display in parent Thor Industries Inc.’s expansive exhibit area at the RV/MH Hall of Fame.

“Initial response has been overwhelmingly positive prior to the rollout, and we’re looking to reinforce that at the Open House,” he added.

Key in the makeover was to offer features and amenities that blend aesthetics with functionality, including:

• “Coastal Comfort” two-tone hardwood cabinetry.

• “Triple Top” kitchen counter layouts in seven floorplans.

• “Chill Out” air conditioning system with up to 45,000 BTUs via three air conditioners.

• 300-watt solar option for off-the-grid camping.

• Modern hardwood steps and side runners.

• “Upgrade package” luxury upgrade including power bed tilt, power cord reels, Yeti cold weather upgrades and much more.

• “Spa Baths” with molded solid-surface sinks, and faux marble showers with hardwood teak seat as part of new upgrade package.

• Two new full body-paint options.

“We focused on areas that not only modernize the trailer, but also improve overall functionality,” Wesdorp noted. “It was a lengthy process, but the end result is that one of the most recognized fifth-wheel brands now addresses the desires of consumers in the marketplace via our core, paint and now upgrade package offerings.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Sounds like a Jayco Pinnacle I was recently in... Ha!
Might be a Thor makeover

pegmikef

I hope all the changes are really going to be strenuously tested and QC'd on all the rigs. With all the problems I have had with my 2018 Oshkosh, they obviously didn't do that on mine especially when you get responses like "oh yeah, we have changed the way we install that" and "it looks like we are going to have to retrofit that whole slide system."

All in all though, the changes sound exciting and I wish everybody good luck with the roll out.

jhardin

I hope all the changes are really going to be strenuously tested and QC'd on all the rigs. With all the problems I have had with my 2018 Oshkosh, they obviously didn't do that on mine especially when you get responses like "oh yeah, we have changed the way we install that" and "it looks like we are going to have to retrofit that whole slide system."

All in all though, the changes sound exciting and I wish everybody good luck with the roll out.

What kind of problems have you had ? I have an 2018 Oshkosh also.

'Lil Guy'

Don't get him started.lol I don't believe there is enough room and temperment to list them all.
The way they changed the bedroom removing alot of the cabinetry and replaced with a chair had to be for more profit and not comfort. It killed the deal on us getting a new Oshkosh. Until I see something different, I believe the changes being made are for cost savings in production.
At the present time, we're contiplating the BH front bath model if it's still around. Maybe in the LM line.

rhodies1

Finally, some lighter cabinetry! Looks great!

I certainly hope these improvements as stated are just not cheaping the Bighorn. I was at the Hershey
RV show in Sept. and the Bighorn units at the show were not impressive.
They looked cheap in their appearance, many other lines showed upgrades and were impressive, such as GD,Pinnacle and Montana ..Bighorn looked tired.
For the asking price of these units,,,it’s time to start putting back into upgrades and enhancing the line.

pegmikef

Frank was probably right. I won't list them all, but here're a few. On our first journey to Mission, TX, the latch for the LR TV pulled off the wall, the TV was swinging back and forth breaking the cable and damaging the screen (fixed latch by reinforcing wall, bought new TV for which Heartland reimbursed me). After that at varying time intervals: two converters have failed, shelf behind TV broke, MCD shade in LR installed wrong, closet clothes rod broke loose, later closet doors and rail broke off and doors were laying on floor, spare tire carrier never worked, and problems with kitchen slide and main bedroom slide, floor had to be replaced, and some other minor problems. I will say that the Heartland Service folks have been great and have stepped up for every problem I have had. I am able to do all of the minor stuff except the slides' repair and floor replaced and Heartland has sent me all the parts I have needed. This in only 17,000 miles or so.

NYSUPstater

Saw the new floorplans on the BH side of HL's website the other nite. Thought some were pretty good and see they added a slide-n-slide bed like the BC & LM has albeit a tad shorter. Not too much excitement in the BC & LM camp IMO outside of front kitchen in the BC like the BH has.

My question is, why have all the mfr's gone to a laminate floor from front to back? What ever happened to having carpeting in LR & BR areas?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
My question is, why have all the mfr's gone to a laminate floor from front to back? What ever happened to having carpeting in LR & BR areas ?

My experience is that the carpet they are using is low quality and shows wear quickly, making the rig look of poor quality. I seem to recall a lot of folks being vocal on the forums saying they wished they could have full Lino instead of carpet. Probably number crunching, it is cheaper and faster to install.

Our 2016 carpet is looking worn in traffic areas, and looks like it needs to be re-stretched. I think vinyl would be easier to keep clean, but would be colder and louder underfoot.

Kbvols

My question is, why have all the mfr's gone to a laminate floor from front to back? What ever happened to having carpeting in LR & BR areas?

I prefer carpet over vinyl flooring. I think they intentionally use/used such a crappy grade of carpet to “force” customers to vinyl. Hopefully the overhaul will put some quality back into the Bighorn which I believe has been diminished over the past couple model years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

I prefer carpet over vinyl flooring. I think they intentionally use/used such a crappy grade of carpet to “force” customers to vinyl. Hopefully the overhaul will put some quality back into the Bighorn which I believe has been diminished over the past couple model years.

If you're right, it sure took Heartland a long time to "force" customers. About 15 years or so.

In 1994 we bought a new home in Austin. The builder was using what was referred to as "contractor grade" carpet. We paid quite a bit to upgrade to the next level, which wasn't very good. And a few days ago while getting an insurance quote, the agent asked about our master bath and whether the fixtures were "contractor grade".

I'm sure you know where I'm going. I'm pretty sure Heartland and other manufacturers use "contractor grade" carpet. Obviously it's less expensive. But for people who only use their trailers a few weeks out of the year it's probably ok. For people who take their shoes off and who don't have pets, it's probably ok. For full timers it's going to have a short life. Just like in a residence.

In 2016 we replaced the original carpet that came with our 2011 Landmark. We selected a mid-grade carpet that'after almost 4 years is holding up better than the original.

Kbvols

If you're right, it sure took Heartland a long time to "force" customers. About 15 years or so.

I don’t think it was a long term plan. What I know is there is a noticeable difference quality wise in carpet as well as other items between our friends 2015 Bighorn and our 2018. Our carpet has worn poorly with limited use. We are not full time , have no pets, no kids and shoes are off at the door. I get it their in business to make maximize their profit. As a consumer though my interest is my perception of price/value. Hopefully this Overhaul will change my current perception .

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We like our living area without carpet and have gotten used to sweeping the floor often.