Hard to open grey tank valve

travlingman

Having an issue opening/closing the grey tank 1 valve on our Landmark. Once you get it open, hard to pull, when you push back to close, the cable sleeve pushes out of the fitting on the back of the UDC and you can't close. Dropped underbelly enough to get to, and valve sets so the cable pull is parallel to ground. Cleaned debris from valve track, sprayed with silicon, same results. If I hold the cable sleeve in the fitting behind the UDC, you can open/close, albeit you do have to use pressure. When underneathI can open/close valve by hand on the cable.

Any ideas on a fix?

rhodies1

Having an issue opening/closing the grey tank 1 valve on our Landmark. Once you get it open, hard to pull, when you push back to close, the cable sleeve pushes out of the fitting on the back of the UDC and you can't close. Dropped underbelly enough to get to, and valve sets so the cable pull is parallel to ground. Cleaned debris from valve track, sprayed with silicon, same results. If I hold the cable sleeve in the fitting behind the UDC, you can open/close, albeit you do have to use pressure. When underneathI can open/close valve by hand on the cable.

Any ideas on a fix?

On the Valve itself where the cable enters the large round cylinder at the valve ,place dielectric grease on the rounded cylinder,it slides into the valve body when opening and closing..its slides into a rubber socket and needs grease to lubricate.

Last edited by a moderator:

travlingman

Tried the grease today. Did seem to loosen it up a little, hopefully will get me by until I can pull the coroplast down.

mlpeloquin

You will most likely find the cable a lot longer than needed. You can shorten it by removing it from the back of the valve. The center cable is held in place with a set screw. I have forgotten how the entire cable is held, but it is an easy job to loosen it for removal. Measure the length of cable sticking out of the sheath. Pull the cable handle back an inch or so and cut the cable assembly to length. Push the handle back in and cut the center cable to the measured length. Install back into the back of the valve assembly. Note that a Dremel tool wit a metal cutting disk works best for this. You will find that the valve works better with a cable that is cut to proper length. Don't cut it too short a couple of extra inches won't make a difference.