smell from gray tank

jvm

so the second night of camping, my wife was giving the kids a bath and suddenly noticed a rotten egg smell coming through as she was bathing them.
then the next day as i was draining the gray tank, the terrible odor came back again. i drained the tanks, but now when you open the bathroom door there is still a terrible stench. any ideas?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello jvm and welcome to this great forum.
Below your bathroom sink there should be an air admittance valve. It's a round black stub plumbed into the sink drain. Sometimes these valves fail.
You can test if that is where the odor is coming from by putting a sandwich baggie over the valve and wrapping it with a rubber band or some tape. The idea is to seal off the valve.
If the odor goes away then you probably should replace the valve, sometimes known as a Studor Valve. They are under ten bucks where ever plumbing parts are sold.
Consider joining the Heartland Owners Club. It's free. And be sure to check out the Events tab for a rally in your area or anywhere you travel.

Peace
Dave

mlpeloquin

Hello jvm and welcome to this great forum.
Below your bathroom sink there should be an air admittance valve. It's a round black stub plumbed into the sink drain. Sometimes these valves fail.
You can test if that is where the odor is coming from by putting a sandwich baggie over the valve and wrapping it with a rubber band or some tape. The idea is to seal off the valve.
If the odor goes away then you probably should replace the valve, sometimes known as a Studor Valve. They are under ten bucks where ever plumbing parts are sold.
Consider joining the Heartland Owners Club. It's free. And be sure to check out the Events tab for a rally in your area or anywhere you travel.

Peace
Dave

Don't ever buy the cheep Studor valve. It is nothing but a piece of rubber acting like a flap and are not approved anywhere for home use. The better ones cost, but rely on a spring. Use one like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Studor-Plastic-Air-Admittance-Valve/1081741

To keep the gray water smell away I use Happy Camper in the tanks prior to having to change out the tank valve or the seals. No smell when you do.