30 gal lavatory aux gray tank

tgtrotter

Howdy,

Anyone heard of a 60 black, 30 gal lavatory(bath) sink and 30 gal shower/galley set-up ???? In fact our 2019 Fuel 305 is plumbed that way ?? Why on earth do I need 30 gals of waste to wash my hands and left with 30 gals to scrunch out showers and dishes combined ?/?

danemayer

Our Landmark galley is on its own 45 gallon tank (gray #2), but even though we use the kitchen, that tank never has much water at the end of the week when we dump the black tank. On the other hand, our shower, bathroom sink and washer all drain into the same 45 gallon tank (gray #1). There's only 2 of us and if the dump valve is closed, we can fill gray #1 in 2 to 3 days.

Your 30 gallon tanks are going to fill pretty quickly from the shower and bathroom sink. It may be odd to have the galley drain into that tank, but how much water is the galley adding? Maybe not so much. Even if it were plumbed separately, 30 gallons isn't a lot for a bathoom shower tank.

tgtrotter

Slide valves/terminatio/ dump valves

Howdy,

Question. Are, or were, the dump valves on your unit labeled which tank they go to ?

Thank you in advance of any reply,

Tim

danemayer

Re: Slide valves/terminatio/ dump valves

No. Never heard of labels other than black or gray. Of course, black is usually self-explanatory. But there are some configurations, especially on toy haulers with a garage bath, where the sink and toilet share a black tank.

avvidclif

Very simple solution if you only have 1 dump outlet. Get an inline cutoff valve(I call it main drain valve) and install it on the dump outlet. Close it and open both gray tank valves. The you have the combined capacity of both. Just remember to not open the black tank valve. To drain the black tank close both gray tank valves and then open the main drain valve dumping what is in the lines, then drain and flush the black tank and hose. Close the black tank valve, close the main drain valve, and open both gray tank valves, and you are back in business.

Also a main drain valve is nice if you have a seeping drain valve that fills the lines while traveling. It's much easier to fix if it seeps than fixing the covered up seeping valve. And keeps you from getting whatever dumped on your hands when the drain cover is removed.

Here is what I am talking about, https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-Twist-On-Waste-Valve/dp/B000BGHYJS It goes on the drain outlet and then the cap or elbow and cap.

Gaffer

Very simple solution if you only have 1 dump outlet. Get an inline cutoff valve(I call it main drain valve) and install it on the dump outlet. Close it and open both gray tank valves. The you have the combined capacity of both. Just remember to not open the black tank valve. To drain the black tank close both gray tank valves and then open the main drain valve dumping what is in the lines, then drain and flush the black tank and hose. Close the black tank valve, close the main drain valve, and open both gray tank valves, and you are back in business.

Also a main drain valve is nice if you have a seeping drain valve that fills the lines while traveling. It's much easier to fix if it seeps than fixing the covered up seeping valve. And keeps you from getting whatever dumped on your hands when the drain cover is removed.

Here is what I am talking about, https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-Twist-On-Waste-Valve/dp/B000BGHYJS It goes on the drain outlet and then the cap or elbow and cap.
This will only work when both gray tanks are at the same elevation. This is not always the case.

tgtrotter

Gaffer, I appreciate your reply. Although my dump valves were not marked I figured how to check each one just by opening and closing drains and slide valves. Danmeyer thanks for your reply. We take military showers and can get about 8-10 including shave and brush teeth in lab sink on 30 gals gray. The galley sink about the same, 4-5 days. That is dry camp. When full hook up or access, yes we splurge some.

Sticking with my question though, on a toy hauler unit presumably designed for dry camp. Does it make sense for a unit to have 30 gals to wash your hands (lav sink only) and 30 gals to shower and cook/clean (galley). ??

Our 2019 unit valves were not marked. We assumed, and CW assured twice that the single valve termination was Galley and shared 2 valve termination was black and gray bath. Heartland sevice for the last 3+ weeks has said it would not make sense to be hooked up with a shared galley and shower. Evidently we recently found this not true. Today I got an email from Heartland service saying a design change was made before my unit produced. I replied why and are other models the same.

Everyone I have spoke with says NO. Nor have they heard of a set up like that. Nor does it make sense to me or anyone.

What's your take ?

Gaffer

Easy to confirm gray tank contents by using food coloring in a sink, add some water and observe while dumping using clear fitting. Repeat at each drain as needed.