Delamination

Mon

I have a 2014 Big horn and we noticed this summer that the whole right side half way in the middle to the bottom has all delayed. We took it back to where we bought it and they did test after test and realized there was no water damage to cause it. So they contacted heartland and they want the the rv place to cut a hole and send it to them but are saying they will not be responsible for it. I dont know what to do please help. Heartland does not want to stand behind there rv.

danemayer

Hi mon,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You're playing a longshot for a 2014 trailer, which could have been built as early as March of 2013, over 6 years ago.

Most delamination is due to water intrusion. But even if there's a manufacturing defect, after 5 or 6 years, there's no warranty coverage. None. And if you're not the original owner, in the RV industry, you're almost certainly out of luck.

But if Heartland is asking for a core sample to examine, that's encouraging in that they're willing to consider a goodwill accommodation if it turns out to be a manufacturing defect. But even so, that is no guarantee that the repair would be covered.

If your intent is to repair the delamination, regardless of whether the bill goes to you or not, maybe it doesn't hurt to have the dealer cut a hole to send a sample to Heartland. Maybe you'll get lucky. If not, a small hole probably doesn't add much if anything to the cost of the repair.

Mon

Hi mon,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You're playing a longshot for a 2014 trailer, which could have been built as early as March of 2013, over 6 years ago.

Most delamination is due to water intrusion. But even if there's a manufacturing defect, after 5 or 6 years, there's no warranty coverage. None. And if you're not the original owner, in the RV industry, you're almost certainly out of luck.

But if Heartland is asking for a core sample to examine, that's encouraging in that they're willing to consider a goodwill accommodation if it turns out to be a manufacturing defect. But even so, that is no guarantee that the repair would be covered.

If your intent is to repair the delamination, regardless of whether the bill goes to you or not, maybe it doesn't hurt to have the dealer cut a hole to send a sample to Heartland. Maybe you'll get lucky. If not, a small hole probably doesn't add much if anything to the cost of the repair.

Thank you for answering me yes heartland has ask our rv place to cut a 2foot by 2foot but the rv place does not feel comfortable doing that so what should we do now?

danemayer

Thank you for answering me yes heartland has ask our rv place to cut a 2foot by 2foot but the rv place does not feel comfortable doing that so what should we do now?

My guess is that you have a pretty low likelihood of getting a free repair on a trailer this old. So I think you should consider having the dealer do the repair, if they're comfortable doing so and if you trust their skill level. If not, you might look for a place that does collision damage repair on large vehicles.

Garypowell

I would call HL back and ask them what their intentions are. That leads the discussion from there. it only stands to reason if they ask for a hole to be cut they would fix that hole at a minimum.

as good as I think HL would be in honoring their word....once it was discussed I’d ask for an email outlining the discussion and offer. Then you can decide how you will proceed.

we had frame flex that they asked us to come back to the factory to fix. Once there I also pointed out another crack by a slide corner in the sidewall. They said they would patch it.

after we left the crack by the slide corner cracked again.

they asked us to return and they cut a 2 foot by 2 foot hole to find a crack in our wall structure. They rewelded the structure and then welded a plate over that fix and then repaired the outer surface. To this day no return of either problem and no matter how close you look you cannot see the repair!

we were out of warranty.

no matter how good something is made it can fall apart moving down the road. Be calm and patient with them and you might be amazed what they are willing to do.

chiefneon

Howdy!

We just have some delamination repair done on our 2014 Cyclone 4000 in Goshen, IN at Affinity RV Group. They removed our bedroom slide and then cut out a large section near it. Repair the area and glassed it in and repainted. The cost was about $2500.00. They did a great job and would highly recommend them.

F4392450-26B2-427B-A029-DF10F7BAFEEC.jpg

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

Bruce11

Hey there

We had a RV repair shop replace the back wall of our 2012 heartland 5th wheel. When our unit was 1 year old heartland did remove both side walls & add additional supports in 2013. They also rebuilt a large section of floor that rotted due to no seal from factory. I am not sure heartland does this anymore. When we were at the factory in Indiana several RV’s all 5ers & most out of warranty were being repaired for failure of supports or major delamination. After paying $4k out of pocket to fix our rig I have the shop inspect the entire outside every 6 months & check myself every month. At this point I have smeared caulking about everywhere, but it does appear water tight for the moment. The repair shop also recaulks several of the seams 2x a year. Our rig has some waves on the sidewalls but structurally it is sound. Unfortunately once delaminates it is just a matter of keeping it sealed & hoping for the best. Ours is 8 years old & we are pretty sure it will last another 5-6 years. That being said we love the design of our 5er. It has & hopefully will continue to provide us w opportunities for additional family fun. It is really unfortunate the RV industry makes products that are so disposable. My grandfathers rigs in the 70’s & 80’s lasted for years w almost no maintenance. At the time of his death the 15 year old RV was still solid as a rock.

aatauses

Is it possible that your delamination came from the glue drying out?? Not sure if you store the Rv or go to AZ in the winter, but sometimes the dry winter heat can dry out the interior glue and the result will be delamination.
al