Trailer Brake Check

Hello,

I am having an issue where my truck registers a trailer brake disconnect warning randomly but hundreds of times on our last trip. I was at my wits end and have not been able to find a solution. I took it to my heartland dealer and they could not find a problem. The trailer is a 2016 Wilderness BS3250 and truck is 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. I am not sure how to solve this problem.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I had a similar problem last year and a simple application of di-electric grease to to end of the cable and the truck connector resolved the problem. May not resolve your problem, but for a couple of dollars, it’s worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I had a similar problem in the past but not with my RAM. Turned out to be a short in one of the magnets of the brake assembly.
Do you know what the dealer checked?

Peace
Dave

tgtrotter

Possibly a brake wire on the trailer worn or exposed to the ground (frame). My old unit would wear and eventually short out inside the axle. Probably a burr in there. You can check it by following the wires from your junction box, down the frame and to each brake. Best of luck

rhodies1

Something to check is the truck plug...take the male connector off of the back of the plug, check it for water intrusion and corrosion. Also check the backside of the plug itself, it corrodes as well.
When your plug assembly gets water inside it shorts across the terminals causing all kinds of faults to appear on your truck screen.
This issue with water entering the plug on the bumper of the truck is a common problem with all the big 3 companies.
I just had this issue with my 2016 Ford..
As soon as I told the service dept at dealer what was happeningthey immediately took plug apart and it was water logged and corroded.

'Lil Guy'

Something to check is the truck plug...take the male connector off of the back of the plug, check it for water intrusion and corrosion. Also check the backside of the plug itself, it corrodes as well.
When your plug assembly gets water inside it shorts across the terminals causing all kinds of faults to appear on your truck screen.
This issue with water entering the plug on the bumper of the truck is a common problem with all the big 3 companies.
I just had this issue with my 2016 Ford..
As soon as I told the service dept at dealer what was happeningthey immediately took plug apart and it was water logged and corroded.

Had same issue with my receptical on truck. Most likely it's in your receptical or pigtail plug wiring.

pegmikef

Take a file or screw driver and thoroughly clean all of the contacts in both receptacles, then use a good electrical contact spray cleaner. Do not rely completely on the cleaner. I know from experience!

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We had the same issue for months. Ford checked everything on the pickup. I am pretty good with electric and found nothing wrong with the trailer. On a whim I replaced all of the trailer fuses and relays on the ford, problem solved.