Full Time Winterization

OSH4007

Hey All,

So we are full timing it this winter and Im looking for tips on winterization. I have a fresh water hose that is about 150ft so I need to figure out how to insulate it. Do I need a skirt with the bottom of my RV fully enclosed? Should I wrap my black and grey water pipes? Anything else Im missing?

Thanks
Mike

danemayer

Hi OSH4007,

A lot depends on how cold it's going to get. Wintering in the 20s (F) is a lot different that wintering in the -20s (F).

Suggest you review our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide in this folder.

If you have a refrigerator in a slide, the water feed line to the ice maker is routed in the open air under the slide. You'll have to shut that off and evacuate the water from that line before temps go below freezing. If you have a residential refrigerator, look over our Residential Refrigerator Guide.

sengli

First thing I can think of is your going to need a large external LP tank..100-500 gallon. Seen other threads on here where people will go thru 30 pound Lp tanks is a coupele of days. Cold weather in an RV is much different than a sticks and brick house. Full skirting is a must.

OSH4007

Hi OSH4007,

A lot depends on how cold it's going to get. Wintering in the 20s (F) is a lot different that wintering in the -20s (F).

Suggest you review our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide in this folder.

If you have a refrigerator in a slide, the water feed line to the ice maker is routed in the open air under the slide. You'll have to shut that off and evacuate the water from that line before temps go below freezing. If you have a residential refrigerator, look over our Residential Refrigerator Guide.

One of the nice things about western Washington is the weather is pretty temperate. Lows typically stay in the 30s (mostly above freezing) with a few days of snow. That being said I dont want to wake up one morning with a frozen line because I didnt prep. We do not have an ice maker so no worries with that. Ill review the other guide you attached.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

First thing I can think of is your going to need a large external LP tank..100-500 gallon. Seen other threads on here where people will go thru 30 pound Lp tanks is a coupele of days. Cold weather in an RV is much different than a sticks and brick house. Full skirting is a must.

I hear that but we will be sticking with our 2 30lbs tanks. Luckily our fuel station is 5 minutes away.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We spend the winter in warm south Texas. When the temps dip below freezing we leave the water dripping and don't have any trouble. We're on a full hookup site.

hut

I am getting supply from a building. I wrapped the hose with foam insulation with heat tape inside. On both ends I wrapped extra heat tape with insulation duct tapped around it all. I didn’t underpin and left all my tanks open all the time. (I spray the black tank daily.) We got down into the single digits several days but kept everything flowing. A 30# propane bottle would last 8-9 days.

Won’t be long and we’ll be there again....