Both cable slides stopped working at same time

goff

We have a 2016 Mallard 32, has always worked great. Both slides have always gone in/out with no problems.

We were opening the big slide on shore power, it made it about 12" out and stopped. No weird noises, nothing. Just stopped. Won't go further out, won't come in. Also, strangely, the small slide will not do anything either. They have separate in/out switches and no noises occur when attempting to use either switch or slide. No clicking, no motor noises, just silence.

Tonight we checked all of the breakers and they are good. All fuses tested good. All other electrical in the RV seems fine.

Any idea where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks!

Brandon

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

We have a 2016 Mallard 32, has always worked great. Both slides have always gone in/out with no problems.

We were opening the big slide on shore power, it made it about 12" out and stopped. No weird noises, nothing. Just stopped. Won't go further out, won't come in. Also, strangely, the small slide will not do anything either. They have separate in/out switches and no noises occur when attempting to use either switch or slide. No clicking, no motor noises, just silence.

Tonight we checked all of the breakers and they are good. All fuses tested good. All other electrical in the RV seems fine.

Thanks!

Brandon

Brandon It sounds like it probably one of these possibility

1) main circuit breaker is bad between batteries and the system - you can stick a screwdriver in to jump the terminals across and have someone try the switch.
2) main shutoff switch might not be all the way on
3) Bad ground wire at the battery or at the frame connection.

Do you have power to the rest of the system ?
Are you on shore power ?

This might be a few places to start looking at.
If you need help right away PM me and call me.

Jerrod

goff

Jerrod,

Thank you. Yes, we are on shore power and everything else works.
No other electrical problems. The cable slides simply stopped working at about 12 inches out one day. They will not go further out and they will not retract. When you click on either of the two, separate "in and out" switches, there is no sound at all. No grinding motors, no clicking, nothing. Everything else electrical works just fine. All the fuses work.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Brandon

TedS

There may be an autoreset breaker in the fuse/breaker panel that serves both slides and it has failed or a wire connection came loose.
Press a slide switch while observing the panel to see if its panel indicator light comes on indicating an open breaker/fuse.

goff

Update. We found that the battery is dead. Will replace. But still curious. On shore power and all other electrical works. Just the two slides... All at once...

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Update. We found that the battery is dead. Will replace. But still curious. On shore power and all other electrical works. Just the two slides... All at once...
I'm not 100% sure but you probably have the manual reset breaker between the batteries and the convertor. If that is popped the battery will not get a charge from the convertor.
Look for it
78e4f6438a5a614c10cd344c3120d588.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

goff

OK, now I am really perplexed!

Found the manual reset breaker and clicked it. The slides work perfectly now. Miracle. But, now I am very curious as to what is happening electrically? There is no battery at present because I had already removed it and put it in the back of my car to go buy a new battery later today. So, I clicked the manual reset breaker, the RV is hooked up to shore power, and the slides work perfectly now. There is no battery closing the loop at present. I would think that should cause some malfunction? So, my question is what happened and why does it work this way? When the manual reset breaker was tripped, the only things in the entire RV that didn't work were the two cable slides. All other electrical equipment worked fine. Now, without a battery in place and with the manual reset breaker reset, all electrical components work. I am definitely an amateur but I find this fascinating and wonder if you can explain it?

And thanks so much for your help in solving this problem!!!

I'm not 100% sure but you probably have the manual reset breaker between the batteries and the convertor. If that is popped the battery will not get a charge from the convertor.
Look for it
78e4f6438a5a614c10cd344c3120d588.jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I would think you slides are connected to the batteries before that tripped breaker.
The rest of the couch is running off of the convertor only.
Once you reset that breaker everything is now connected together.
You can put your batteries back in and the convertor should charge it up if it is still good

danemayer

Look at the 12v section of our Electrical User Guide to understand how it all goes together. Click near top of page on TOOLS/HUG - Heartland User Guides

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited: