Battery shore power problem

I had my Bighorn plugged into shore power and when I went to use it the batteries were totally dead and of course nothing worked even plugged in. I fully charged the batteries and when not on shore power still nothing worked. I plugged it in and everything worked. I checked all connections and they were clean and tight. all fuses I could find were good. The breakers inside panel were good. The battery disconnect was on. What am I missing?

danemayer

Hi CDreadytogo,

There's a row of 12V DC mini-circuit breakers near your batteries. One of those breakers is a manual reset breaker that sits between the batteries and the fuse box (and power converter). When it trips, no power from the batteries gets to the fuse box and interior devices, and no power from the power converter makes it to the batteries to keep them charged.

The breakers are covered by red rubber boots and the reset button is teeeeennnny tiny. I've attached a couple of pictures that will help you identify the breaker. Your arrangement of breakers will be different, so don't focus on that.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 28
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 23
I had my Bighorn plugged into shore power and when I went to use it the batteries were totally dead and of course nothing worked even plugged in. I fully charged the batteries and when not on shore power still nothing worked. I plugged it in and everything worked. I checked all connections and they were clean and tight. all fuses I could find were good. The breakers inside panel were good. The battery disconnect was on. What am I missing?

Thank you for the help. That fixed the problem and I am not sure I would have found it as I haven't seen a breaker like that before.

pegmikef

There's a row of 12V DC mini-circuit breakers near your batteries. One of those breakers is a manual reset breaker that sits between the batteries and the fuse box (and power converter). When it trips, no power from the batteries gets to the fuse box and interior devices, and no power from the power converter makes it to the batteries to keep them charged.

Dan, Wouldn't it be nice is Heartland made up a sticker that contains this fix and attached it near the batteries (i.e, near the breakers on the battery box)? I think this happens to almost all Heartland owners at one time or another.

danemayer

Dan, Wouldn't it be nice is Heartland made up a sticker that contains this fix and attached it near the batteries (i.e, near the breakers on the battery box)? I think this happens to almost all Heartland owners at one time or another.

Hmm, like this? :D

circuit-breaker-reset-instruction.jpg