No Brakes

IGotHosed

Has anyone had any problems with Dexter axles on their 40' Cyclones? We have a 5th wheel and we lost brakes the 3rd day we had it. It has lost brakes 4 times since. Its magnets, missing components in the drums, overheating. It does not take much to throw a magnet. They do not activate evenly.

We have now replaced 3 of the back plates, 4 magnets. Just curious if anyone else has had similar issues?

danemayer

Electric brake problems are pretty common, but not usually on a 3 day old trailer. Not sure I've ever heard of problems with back plates or missing components. And I don't think we've heard too much about defective magnets.

The usual culprits for braking loss are bad connections or wiring shorts, or grease contamination.

I assume you're still within the Dexter multi-year warranty. Have you discussed any of this with their customer service? If they agree with the servicer's diagnoses, they might send you all new brake assemblies.

carl.swoyer

Has anyone had any problems with Dexter axles on their 40' Cyclones? We have a 5th wheel and we lost brakes the 3rd day we had it. It has lost brakes 4 times since. Its magnets, missing components in the drums, overheating. It does not take much to throw a magnet. They do not activate evenly.

We have now replaced 3 of the back plates, 4 magnets. Just curious if anyone else has had similar issues?
Yes I did know of one case in 2012
On a brand new Big Horn. Lippert ended up replacing both Axel assemblies.
This was Also the rig that was custom ordered at the Tampa RV show.
He only had about 600 lb of cargo/gvw.
Between heartland and lippert they fixed both problems.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

The best solution is a nice set of disc brakes. A little pricey, but you’ll never regret it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk