Looking at the Heartland Prowler 290 BH

SeanJK

Hi everybody. This is my first post ever on an RV forum, and I have some questions about my potential first ever trailer. My wife and I have done a ton of research on layouts, lengths, weights, etc, and the best trailer that fits those three categories is the Prowler 290 BH. I have some general questions about Heartland, and some specific questions about this model.

I have have read a bunch of new purchaser guides (and I am 3 months into a Trailer Life subscription), but I am well aware of the power of user wisdom, so please, anything you feel like suggesting would be greatly appreciated.

General questions:

I have been reading through some of the posts on the various forums, about various Heartland models, and a common theme seems to be leaks. Do any of you have experience with this, and do you think this is a general problem with all manufacturers or one particular to Heartland?

Do you have any insights as to overall quality? I gather from my research that this is an “entry level” brand, which I am okay with, but at the same time I want to avoid multiple problems out of the gate.

How are Heartlands for battery life?

How are the heat/cool systems?

Specific Questions:

This is one of the few models I have seen with the galley on a slide out. Any long term problems associated with this?

We love the idea of an exterior door to the bathroom. Is the door as durable as the main door?

jimtoo

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the Heartland Family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Enjoy the forum.
Jim M

danemayer

On battery life, it's not clear whether you mean how many years of life to expect, or how many amp hours to expect, as in how long will the 12V stuff work while boon docking.

Heartland is probably about the same as any manufacturer with respect to batteries. So I wouldn't expect more than 3 years of usable battery life. And in terms of amp hours, smaller trailers get smaller batteries. So at best you're looking at a group 24 deep cycle battery that might supply 80 amp hours. You can use about 1/2 that much before needing to recharge. If you're running a traditional RV refrigerator and water heater, and a few LED lights, you may get a few days. If you're running the furnace, not so much. For boon docking, you'll probably want some solar capability or a quiet generator to recharge the battery.

We Have a 2016 33pbhs. Never had problem with Stove,Fridge,micro in the slide out. Battery you know they install the cheapest !!!! Otherwise only normal faults like everyone else. Nothing big

Some things we did.Under stove a blank panel removed more storage,Changed out kit and bath faucet, Added propane hookup on rear of trailer for gas grill.Changed shower head and bath sink.Added an outlet under counter for dedicated power from camp ground for Coffee Pot.Added two manual stabilizers mid way to remove some rocking. Swapped out all exterior bulbs for LED.

SeanJK

Dan, thank you for your insights. I was thinking more about amp hours, but the battery life point is noted (I had not thought of that). I am going to avoid boondocking for a season or two until I am more proficient, but I have been reading up on solar, and intend on investing in 2-3 years.

Thank you so much for your detailed answer-it is one of the pleasant surprises of the RV experience how helpful the community is.

All the best,

Sean.

On battery life, it's not clear whether you mean how many years of life to expect, or how many amp hours to expect, as in how long will the 12V stuff work while boon docking.

Heartland is probably about the same as any manufacturer with respect to batteries. So I wouldn't expect more than 3 years of usable battery life. And in terms of amp hours, smaller trailers get smaller batteries. So at best you're looking at a group 24 deep cycle battery that might supply 80 amp hours. You can use about 1/2 that much before needing to recharge. If you're running a traditional RV refrigerator and water heater, and a few LED lights, you may get a few days. If you're running the furnace, not so much. For boon docking, you'll probably want some solar capability or a quiet generator to recharge the battery.

SeanJK

Thank you so much for your reply. I have been hearing the battery thing, but I am not worried about that. Ill upgrade after a season or two. I am making note of your improvements, and am putting together a punch list. The propane hookup is definitely something i'll want to do.

Thanks,

Sean.

We Have a 2016 33pbhs. Never had problem with Stove,Fridge,micro in the slide out. Battery you know they install the cheapest !!!! Otherwise only normal faults like everyone else. Nothing big

Some things we did.Under stove a blank panel removed more storage,Changed out kit and bath faucet, Added propane hookup on rear of trailer for gas grill.Changed shower head and bath sink.Added an outlet under counter for dedicated power from camp ground for Coffee Pot.Added two manual stabilizers mid way to remove some rocking. Swapped out all exterior bulbs for LED.

SeanJK

Thank you for this resource. It is nice to be part of such a helpful and resourceful community.

Sean.

Welcome to the forum. I can't speak on the Prowler model, but I'm sure some Prowler owners will be along to share their thoughts. I can tell you that it is crucial to do a thorough pre-delivery inspection before you sign. Here is the link to a PDI form created by one of the members here...

https://www.rvwiththetanners.com/pre-delivery-inspection