Newbie Questions

Good day to all!

A few general questions, from someone who is nearing retirement in 1-3 years. We were seriously considering a 5th wheel, and more recently started thinking perhaps a Class C might be better for us? We wanted to ask those of you with experience, as we have basically have none - so we have some questions and hopefully you folks can help us decide which way to go.

As I mentioned we have no experience to speak of in this, but we want to travel and see this great country. So we think there will be periods of time where we would be out several months at a time spending time - a few days, to perhaps a few weeks at one site.

We can't say for sure if would be full-timers, but want to be comfortable when we travel, and prefer to use our own facilities, versus a camps facilities. Ok, so a few questions.

First, I have no real experience towing a 35-42' rig. With that said, do y'all haul your rigs into urban areas? It's hard for me to imagine making RH turns in town at a intersection. I'm not afraid to do it, I just have no experience doing it.

For those of you that travel frequently with your rigs, how often do you just stay at one site for just a few days, then move to your next destination? We don't know how much "work/time" is involved - setting up and tearing down, if thats the right terminology to move your rig - but it does seem like it would take some time to set up the rig, then do the opposite to move to the next destination.

Costs/expenses - I'm not sure how much dry camping we'd do - so with that said, how expensive is it to camp for a few days, or even a few weeks. I know there are sites like Good Sam's etc. where you can get discounts. Is this where/ho most of you get your best rates for a stay?

Without getting into a big debate - one decision in determining whether to go Fifth Wheel vs. Class C is expense, and of course the size of the vehicle. We suspect we would spend anywhere from $130,00-$200,000. If a 5th wheel, I also would need to invest in a larger truck to pull it, likely a dually.

Well,I guess thats enough to start a discussion. I know you all will ba able to provide your thoughts and experience.

Steve

RickL

Personally I prefer to tow a 5th wheel over a travel trailer. In my opinion the turning radius is better and I find it easier to maneuver. We presently tow a 39’ ft 5th wheel. I really don’t panic towing it in urban circumstances but just me. There are 34-36’ ft 5th wheels out there (and shorter depending on personal preferences) that could easily make your travels comfortable.

Here are my pro’s compared to a class C or a class A coach - again depending on size I’m of the opinion you get more living area when it’s apples to apples size. The other is with a C or A you’ll find you may need to tow a vehicle. We have a dually and I don’t have too many issues but I’m not a fair comparison as my wife follows me in her vehicle. (We did this to save miles on the truck, better fuel economy, and provides transportation in the event she wants to take off and spend time with the granddaughter or sisters) Lastly in the event I have a breakdown on the truck, I can get the 5th wheel towed to a RV park so I have a place to stay while the truck is repaired. In the event it’s a C or A it’ll be a hotel.

Again after doing your research it’ll all come down to personal preference as there isn’t any right or wrong way to go. Just what you are comfortable with. Best of luck.

danemayer

Hi Silverado333,

I'll comment on three of your questions.

We're towing a 39' fifth wheel. In general, when I think about urban areas, it's not the right-hand turns that make it difficult, it's the heavy traffic. And in many urban areas, other drivers are not always considerate. You might be surprised driving through rural areas how often you go through a county seat and have to make a few turns. These typically are truck routes, so it's just a question of getting some practice towing.

On the question of how long to stop and striking a balance with setup and teardown time, it's all about tradeoffs for us. If we're going from point A to point B, our first decision is how many miles/hours of driving we're willing to do. Then there's question of how many days we are willing to spend getting to our destination. As an example, when we go to the Heartland North American Rally in Goshen, Indiana, it's nearly 1500 miles for us. We'll usually take 5 days and stay a single night at each interim stop. 4 or 6 point hydraulic leveling speeds things up quite a bit. Often on overnight stops we don't unhitch, and we don't set up everything on the interior. When it's a more relaxed trip, we may spend 2, 3, 5 days at a location. If you're touring, you might opt for shorter drives and longer stays. If you're visiting family, maybe the number of days to get there is what's important. You'll find a comfortable set of tradeoffs.

On cost, there's quite a bit of variation depending on the location, attractiveness and type of campground, and time of year. State parks in many places are attractive and lower cost than some commercial parks. But reservations may be locked up early in the year. Some of us have purchased seasonal or year-round RV sites in order to manage cost - but you have to be pretty sure you'll be happy with the same place time after time. Some people stay at Corps of Engineers parks (COE), which are often lower cost and very nice. But I'm not sure if any of them take reservations.

Good luck as you move ahead and start enjoying yourselves.

pedirob

Hi Silverado333, Some people stay at Corps of Engineers parks (COE), which are often lower cost and very nice. But I'm not sure if any of them take reservations. Good luck as you move ahead and start enjoying yourselves.
What I'm about to say applies to the Texas area - I don't know about the rest of the country.The Corps of Engineer parks definitely take reservations (recreation.gov). Some are closed for the winter. The COE parks are generally very nice and usually have reservable waterfront sites, covered picnic tables, and fairly decent bathrooms. They generally don't have sewer hookups but they will have a dump station. What they don't have are nature trails, interpretive centers, ranger-led activities, etc. They are basically for sleeping and water sports only. I tend to stay at the state parks because I like the hiking trails, nicer bathrooms and the educational features - but then I have 2 small children.Anyway, welcome to the RV world, you will love it. Take your time and pick the rig that's best for you.Rob

mlpeloquin

If you intend to travel to a specific area and stay two to four weeks, then a fifth wheel is the best for room and comfort. If you want to go day after day and stay only a couple of days, then a class A would save you time and effort in setup and tear down. You would have to tow a truck, car, or jeep to get around. Same with a class C. We did the class C before getting out fifth wheel. Gets real small fast.

NP_Chief

It really will come down to what floor plan works best for you. You will be at or around the same length with a class C and tow vehicle as you will with a 5th wheel. Towing and set-up are something that will get better the more you do it. I have a Torque TT without auto-level and my father-in-law has a class A with all the bells and whistles... when we go somewhere together, I usually end up helping him get set-up and taken down.

ILH

What everybody has said previously is correct - but I'll add my 2 cents worth. Before I bought my first trailer, I borrowed a class C trailer. I fell in love with camping. The convenience was fantastic.... but I soon learned that if you didn't have everything you needed, it was a pain to up roots and go to the store.

My next move was a 28' travel trailer. The kids were young and it suited the needs (keep in mind that floor plans have really improved). My biggest recollection about it was that there was significant rear-end swing when maneuvering.

The kids are no longer and issue and my most current trailer is a 5th wheel - the biggest differences are:
a) huge increase in storage
b) MUCH better handling (hitch mounted over axle)
c) more maneuverable for cornering (subjective to size)

Hope this helps a bit.

NYSUPstater

We never owned a tent or TT so when we got into RVing, went right w/ a 5th wheel. Course being a semi driver, it was only natural. Started off w/ a 35' bunkhouse w/ 2 adults, 2 kids. When the kids got bigger/moved away, the BH had served us well and not needed anymore, so went w/ a 41' non BH unit. I know it doesn't make sense to go from a smaller coach w/ 4 people to a larger one w/ 2, but we LOVE it. I agree w/ all the replies mentioned, but I'd like to toss another thought into the mix.

With a class C or A for that matter, IMO, it's another engine which for the most part will sit idle for long periods of time and to me that's a waste. At least w/ a TT to 5er, you can use the truck year round.

I appreciate all the input!! I don't believe I never heard of Corps of Engineer sites. Based on your comments, you say they may not have dump site available, what about 50 amp service??

State Parks were mentioned, I seem too recall that in most instances, State Parks and National Parks typically couldn't handle rigs the size of the 5th wheels we're discussing? Am I wrong?? One thing I didn't mention - I'm a disabled vet - rated at 80%. I understand that beginning January 1st - Disabled vets, including those that are non-retiree's (I served my four years in the Marine Corps), would be permitted to use camping facilities, as well as PX and Commisary facilities! Does anyone have any knowledge of these types of parks?

Thanks for all the positive feedback!!

Steve

danemayer

I appreciate all the input!! I don't believe I never heard of Corps of Engineer sites. Based on your comments, you say they may not have dump site available, what about 50 amp service??

State Parks were mentioned, I seem too recall that in most instances, State Parks and National Parks typically couldn't handle rigs the size of the 5th wheels we're discussing? Am I wrong?? One thing I didn't mention - I'm a disabled vet - rated at 80%. I understand that beginning January 1st - Disabled vets, including those that are non-retiree's (I served my four years in the Marine Corps), would be permitted to use camping facilities, as well as PX and Commisary facilities! Does anyone have any knowledge of these types of parks?

Thanks for all the positive feedback!!

Steve

Many of the State parks in Texas were built in the 30's when trailers were mostly shorter. We've been in a number of the parks with our 39' 5th wheel, but had to plan ahead and sometimes call the park to check on site length.

State parks in Colorado are generally spacious with long sites.

wdk450

If you are a Disabled Veteran, do you qualify for handicapped license plates? Most all campgrounds have special reserved handicapped spaces that are usually in the most desirable locations in the campground. I believe this is an amenity ALL of the private campgrounds must have under federal law.

sengli

I dont think there is a perfect camper set up. It depends on your wants and desires are, a lot. Costs, well my truck was $60k, and a fifth wheel liking to be $30-100K depending on what you like. Sites are $25 to $50 or more.... a night depending on location and times of the year. See lots of everything out there on the road, so obviously opinions vary on the equipment. We have a large 41' fifth wheel now, we cant do a lot of state parks due to our size. But it is big inside, very luxurious, and has a large amount of storage on board.

There are always going to be trade offs with any set up you end up with. We are always looking at other alternatives to what we currently have, but so far we like the amenities and space of our rig we have. The grass isnt always greener on the other side.

The down side is where do you store your rig when not in use? Do you have room? Are you up for doing a lot of tinkering, and maintenance? RV's arent built by robots. They are hand built one at a time, by people. Issues can arise, and dealers arent always going to accommodate you. So even though you plunk down a boat load of cash...no matter the price point. You could have some problems ...whether its a class c or a travel trailer.

Sengli, I'm not looking for the perfect rig, I'm realistic in understanding that that probably doesn't exist. What I'm trying to find, is what is right for us, without spending a whole bunch of money only to learn we made a mistake. So.... We're looking for advice from others, more experienced than us. In other words, we're trying to do some homework.

In response to some of your questions, we are currently in WA. state, but our family lives in FL. We still own a home in FL. but after living in the Northwest since 2011, we really have no desire to live full time in Florida's heat & humidity. With all that said, we don't know where we will end up, but hope to have enough space to not see neighbors, and be able to park/store - our "stuff".

I'm an engineer for a major Aircraft manufacturer, so I can handle some maintenance on my own.

Thanks for your comments!! Thats exactly what we're looking for!!

Steve

NYSUPstater

If possible, attend a huge RV show and walk thru as many models as you can and take notes for each one. Best if you and the Mrs have your own notebooks and then compare things afterwards. If going to a show isn't possible, go to as many dealers lots and do the same. If you have an idea on make of coach, check their website 1st, then head off to a dealer (call 1st to see if they have what you are looking for). As it was told to me many years ago by tech at dealer we go to (tho not my selling dealer, but now for old coach), he said "You can only do so many things inside of 4 walls". Many 5ers have basically same floorplans, they somehow manage to mix them up so all different. DW fell in love w/ coach we have when we walked thru one at dealer just kicking tires. We knew what we wanted from the word get go, but limited ourselves to certain brands when 1st looking. Had no intention of a HL let alone the Big Country as I felt they were out of our league, but all in all, same $$ as ones we were also looking at but didn't like floorplans. Another word of advice that my cousin gave to us many years ago, "Make sure it's the way YOU WANT it for 99% of everything. Don't say we'll make it work cuz you won't be happy". Yes their really isn't a perfect coach as they all seem to have nuances, but many are close and with a lil creativity, wholla, bingo-boingo all are happy campers.