Slide out makes bumping noise when I try to pull it in

jslbowen

Hi everyone! We have a 2015 Northtrail 28DBSS -- our slide out works normally when we extend it out, but lately when we are sliding it in, it makes a loud bumping noise every 5 seconds. It eventually closes but it sounds like it's taking a lot of energy. This is even with it plugged in and not just running on battery. We don't see anything obstructing it and all of the cables look ok. Has anyone had any problems like this? I'm not sure if we should take it out this weekend because we may not get it back in. Thanks in advance !! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

wdk450

Do you have a hydraulic or electric slide? This noise sounds a lot like what my old style electric landing gear will do when getting stressed out - it sounds like a gear assembly jumping a tooth to me.

If you can determine what type/manufacturer of slideout mechanism you have (calling Heartland Service with your VIN ready should get you this information), this section from the forum library might help: http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/?man=/Slide_Outs/Rooms

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The cables can stretch a little. When they do, the adjusters (a box about the size of a pack of cigarettes), can hit studs or other things as the cable mechanism moves. It’s a very complex system with four individual cables, one motor, two chains, and four adjustable box mechanisms. Mine catches sometimes when coming in and out. More of a nuisance than an issue (assuming this is what is happening).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiefneon

Howdy!

We recently had problems with our bedroom slide out doing the same thing. We got beat up pretty bad last year on our trip to Alaska. We had this same slide worked on three time and never seemed to get it right. We had times we though we would not get it back in. We had Affinity RV Group in Goshen, IN look at it. Turned our the rollers under the bed d me loose and were digging into the carpet causing the sound. This also took a toll on the slide motor. They replaced the rollers and slide motor adjusted the cables and it now workers better than when we purchased it new.

” Happy Trails “
Chiefneon