2017 F350- Anyone chipping these beasts?

Keywestwego

I just upgraded from a 2006 F350 King Ranch to a 2017 F350 Lariat w/ 4.10 rear end. Has anyone put a chip in this year truck and if so, which one? Why? We pull a 40' Landmark at 15,000# and headed to the Rockies next year. The truck pulls the Eastern mountains with no strain BUT the Rockies are another story. Just want to be prepared for what I know is going to be a FUN two months out west next year. Thanks in advance for all the advice.

MCTalley

Banks makes their Derringer unit for 2017-2019 Ford 6.7s with factory emissions still in place. I've seen some positive comments on truck forums regarding the unit. Can't attest to how well it works myself. Running stock.

Note that my 2013 F350 6.7, stock, 3.73 gears pulled our 15,500 lb. Big Country over the Rockies through Colorado and could usually maintain 45 mph foot to the floor. Newer trucks have more grunt, so you might find you won't need anything more out west.

LBR

While we don't have the experience of long, steep, mountain driving like the Rockies, we do run fairly heavy with our CY TH and 2017 F-450...truck is 11,150#...CY is 22,150# for that total of 33,300#.

I have no use to pump up our truck. It does just fine with my right foot requests. I was only after the engine braking and massive 4 series brakes (over a 3 series pickup) for downhill control....much more important to me that racing up a mountain pass.

danemayer

Our 2014 RAM with AISIN transmission and 3.73 rear end tows our 16,000 lb Landmark all over the Colorado mountains without any problem.

With your 4.10, I'd think you would be in good shape.

While going a steep slope can be challenging, going down can be much more exciting. Keep your speed low.

Fox

Ask yourself: what powered trucks up/over the Rockies back in the days?
If 440HP (with 925 ft-lbs tq.) doesn't offer you enough flexibility then look towards a class 7 truck.

Attachments

• cummins-Class-7.jpg
    cummins-Class-7.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 37

Keywestwego

Ask yourself: what powered trucks up/over the Rockies back in the days?
If 440HP (with 925 ft-lbs tq.) doesn't offer you enough flexibility then look towards a class 7 truck.

LOL....I was thinking of a business class but alas, no. I was thinking this 2017 would have plenty of "goose" to get over the Big Hills, but wanted other input. I tend to be the one everyone else is passing when going up or down a long hill. Drove "big trucks" for awhile and learned about weight, gravity and not being in a hurry to die. Thanks to all for the input.

Fox

Going Uphill:

While I may be mistaken I suspect you could turn your fifth wheel over, chain it to the frame and drag it up the Rockies.
All of the Big 3 manufacturers current 3/4 and up trucks will get you there, gas or diesel. The Ford 6.7 w/ 4.10 gears was also my choice.

While you don't indicate it I hope with that pin weight you pull it with a duelly.

Added in: Go Army! USA, RET.

Fox

Going down the hill:

FYI, just last week I returned from a XC tour (in a 2020 Honda van). Southeast Alabama to Elvis land, OKCity (viewed the memorial Federal building - go see it) to Old Faithful (w/ snow covered mountain passes), across to Oregon then south thru several Calif Big Forests. We eventually spent a week visiting my family (just outside of Disneyland) before pointing the vans nose towards the rising sun!

There were several roads that I wouldn't pull my 16K/ 42' fifth wheel thru, much too twisty and numerous long downhills. I often poo-pooed paddle shifters but I found myself frequently shifting our 10 speed tranny down to 7-6-5 and even 4, so as to not excessively ride the brakes.

Even with Fords tow haul and engine braking I would suggest - if you attempt this consider upgrading your trailer brakes to disks (if necessary).

Final note: if you carry then preview which states reciprocate your permit, I had to lock mine up in Calif and NM.

Alan_B

I have a 2017 F350 6.7L diesel with a 3.31 axle ratio, pulling our 16,000 lb. Bighorn. I have driven I-70 through Colorado with no problems at all. Plenty of power to go as fast as I want. On the big mountain passes I tend to find a nice comfortable spot between semi-trucks (with lots of space in between). That means my speed is between 45 and 65 on those long uphills. But the 6.7L has enough power to pass those trucks when needed.

Keywestwego

A BIG Thanks to all replies.

Fox: Yes, it's a dually. And I have a list of all the states that reciprocate the NC CWP. Thanks

All this makes me feel a lot better knowing the "new to me" truck will take on the Rockies with no problem. My middle name is "safety and slow" when in the mountains, so guess I just abide by my middle name. Thanks again ya'll.

If I see ya'll on the road, coffee and grits are on me.

Fox

Do Remember:

1. many (communist) states limit you to a 10 round magazine. My only 10 rounder is an original Sig P365, not my ideal but it meets the law.
2. while I haven't installed disk brakes (with this learning experience) I would install them IF I was ever to traverse (Pull) these roads again. Currently it's a future mod that can otherwise wait.
3. I can't resist one last taunt: Go Army, 70-90.

CoveredWagon

Going up hill isn't the problem, it's the steep long downhill runs that will get you. As a long haul trucker told me, AT LEAST one gear lower going down than going up maybe two or three years lower.

Keywestwego

Do Remember:

1. many (communist) states limit you to a 10 round magazine. My only 10 rounder is an original Sig P365, not my ideal but it meets the law.
2. while I haven't installed disk brakes (with this learning experience) I would install them IF I was ever to traverse (Pull) these roads again. Currently it's a future mod that can otherwise wait.

Agree 98%..........GO NAVY, is the other 2%!!!!

Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Do Remember:

Fox, I figured you might want to see what a real jersey looks like......lol

- - - Updated - - -

Going up hill isn't the problem, it's the steep long downhill runs that will get you. As a long haul trucker told me, AT LEAST one gear lower going down than going up maybe two or three years lower.

I used to drive big trucks and whoever told you that is correct.

Attachments

• IMG_20191026_093840660[1].jpg
    IMG_20191026_093840660[1].jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20191026_093900581[1].jpg
    IMG_20191026_093900581[1].jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16