Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cold in Western WA!

1. Print this Post   #1

Cold in Western WA!

Hi everyone! Hope you are all doing well!

Today's problem...(do you notice I am posting less frequently? I am starting to get it!)

Furnace was running fine until late last night then it stopped. Checked the propane, both at the tanks and by running the stove; it was fine. When I turn the furnace on with the thermostat in the bedroom set for a higher temperature than is in the room, nothing happens! And I mean nothing at all, no noise, no blowing, nada.

I looked at the fuse box - not that I know what I am looking at! - and none of the red lights are on but I do notice that the blue 15 fuse at the bottom of panel is a darker blue than the other blue 15 fuses. Does that mean anything?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Janet
    Janet
    Boomer and Freddie

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Cold in Western WA!

The thermostat in the bedroom only controls the bedroom AC. Any and all heat is controlled by the thermostat in the living area. Have you tried cranking that thermostat way up to see if it turns on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Print this Post   #3
    Utah Chapter Leaders

Quote Originally Posted by CCH View Post
    The thermostat in the bedroom only controls the bedroom AC. Any and all heat is controlled by the thermostat in the living area. Have you tried cranking that thermostat way up to see if it turns on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's not true. The thermostat in the bedroom controls the AC and the heater. The one in the living area only controls the AC in our Cyclone.
    "May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live"

Jeff, Kim & Jameson

2018 Cyclone 4250
    2017 F-350 Superduty SRW
    2020 Polaris XP4 1000
    Air-Lift XL7500 Air Springs
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

4. Print this Post   #4

Quote Originally Posted by jleavitt11 View Post
    That's not true. The thermostat in the bedroom controls the AC and the heater. The one in the living area only controls the AC in our Cyclone.
    I think it varies by model and when built.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

5. Print this Post   #5

I would fool with the 2 thermostats 1 at a time and listen to try to to detect an audible relay "click" in either AIR CONDITIONER CONTROL BOARD (part of the air conditioner) which controls the furnace operation when you set the thermostat to provide heating. If you can make fan or AC work on both air conditioners, then you know that the thermostats are communicating with the AC control boards, and the thermostat circuits have 12 volts DC power.

Looking at the Suburban brand furnace diagrams, the 12 volt DC only models have a thermostat 12 volt input (via the control board relay on the AC unit) AND a higher current (6-10 amps) 12 volt DC connection to run the fan and gas ignition module.

You might try carefully pulling out and re-inserting each 12 volt fuse carefully to see if there are any intermittent electrical connections at the fuse. If you know how to use an electrical multimeter on the ohms/continuity functions you can double check that none of the fuses are blown. If you have electrical contact cleaner/restorer spray on hand this might help improve a poor connection at the fusepanel/fuses.

Good luck, and I hope you have an electric space heater (and maybe an electric blanket) until this gets fixed.
    Bill Knight KJ6TBE
    Retired 40 Year Hospital Biomedical Electronics Technician
    Former State Chairman (2000) California Medical Instrumentation Association (CMIA)
    2008 Bighorn 3670RL
    My Bighorn Upgrades
    See:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

2004 Dodge RAM 3500 Cummins 5.9
    B-D Exhaust Brake
    Ride Rite Air Bags
    Valvoline 15-40 High Mileage Diesel Oil
    XDP Diesel Power Plus Fuel Additive

At a Thousand Trails in Southern California

21 Heartland Rallies I Have Attended
    See: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_PRxlhCp1l7IXgiVIBJmCtX3viJ9NaykR8_b81W9CVU/edit?usp=sharing

Thousand Trails Elite Membership

Support this Forum! Join the Heartland Owners Club at the "Owners Club" Tab at the top of this Page!!!
    Remember The USS Liberty . . . Read: http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/margolis12.html
    "The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth"

6. Print this Post   #6

I THINK I have figured out what happened.

If my propane gets too cold, my furnace doesn't work; the stove is more forgiving. I have my propane tank wrapped as I did last year but apparently the wind was strong enough and just the right direction. The furnace started working again right after I made an appointment with a mobile tech! Fortunately, that isn't until Thursday so I have tonight to see if that was the problem.

If it occurs again tonight, I will bring the tank in for a little bit then put it on the other side of the trailer to see if being shielded from the wind helps. I WOULD switch which tank I was using except the other one is waiting to be refilled! VBG

Will let everyone know how it goes!

And, yes, I DO have portable heaters AND and electric mattress pad AND 2 dogs! VBG

My furnace runs off my bedroom thermostat.

Thanks!
    Janet
    Janet
    Boomer and Freddie

7. Print this Post   #7

As your tank level goes down, and the temp drops, you can lose gas pressure affecting how well things run. But I'm pretty sure you have to be down to maybe 20% tank level and it has to be pretty cold. Unless you're below 15 degrees (F), I'd be looking for another explanation. I've had furnace keep running on one tank, well below 0 (F), until the tank was almost completely empty.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

8. Print this Post   #8

Quote Originally Posted by RottsNScotts View Post
    I THINK I have figured out what happened.

If my propane gets too cold, my furnace doesn't work; the stove is more forgiving. I have my propane tank wrapped as I did last year but apparently the wind was strong enough and just the right direction. The furnace started working again right after I made an appointment with a mobile tech! Fortunately, that isn't until Thursday so I have tonight to see if that was the problem.

If it occurs again tonight, I will bring the tank in for a little bit then put it on the other side of the trailer to see if being shielded from the wind helps. I WOULD switch which tank I was using except the other one is waiting to be refilled! VBG

Will let everyone know how it goes!

And, yes, I DO have portable heaters AND and electric mattress pad AND 2 dogs! VBG

My furnace runs off my bedroom thermostat.

Thanks!
    Janet
    Sometimes the small regulator(referred to as the Red regulator in the past) on the off side from the main regulator/switch off can have issues.
    2015 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie SB - Deep Cherry Red over Silver - Her name is "Cherry"
    2017 BH3575el "Big Guy" 2019 Laredo 225MK "Little Guy" (our WA/AZ commuter trailer)
    Snowbird location: Site 413 Canyon Vistas RV Resort, Gold Canyon, Az
    Sunbird location: Camp Dailey 33F3 / Summer Camp 24F3(Parking and Guests), Lake Connor Park, Lake Stevens, Wa

9. Print this Post   #9

It WAS the tank on the off (driver's side), opposite the main one and I have had problems from that side on other occasions.

As long as I was going for propane for the other tank today anyway, I took both. The tank that was supposed to be running only needed 2.5 gallons so was not that low.

I did get water heater blankets for both tanks; will see if that helps.

Thanks all!

Janet
    Janet
    Boomer and Freddie

10. Print this Post   #10

Quote Originally Posted by RottsNScotts View Post
    It WAS the tank on the off (driver's side), opposite the main one and I have had problems from that side on other occasions.

As long as I was going for propane for the other tank today anyway, I took both. The tank that was supposed to be running only needed 2.5 gallons so was not that low.

I did get water heater blankets for both tanks; will see if that helps.

Thanks all!

Janet
    Hi Janet,

Please let us know your opinion on the tank heaters. I've had them in my "Cart" for a while but am sitting on the fence. Please also include price and source info if you don't mind. Thanx!

WB
    Bill & Sherry Howell - HOC#: 3922
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 DRW Crew Cab/ Duramax/ Allison/4x4 Long bed with big bed box
    Pull Rite Super Glide Hitch (lets trailer clear the big Delta Pro bed box)
    2011 3612 Cyclone HD - Trail Air Flex Air Pin Box w/ #331761 Capture Plate - "G" LR Sailun Tires on Ultra 4400# Wheels
    Toys Onboard: Hobie Tandem Outfitter Kayak w/ mirage drive, sail, and outriggers / Honda P500 Side by Side

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast