Casualty list so far...

TXgearhead

We bought the 2018 Oshkosh this last summer. Took one short trip in it and no big issues. So now we've pulled it from Houston to Charleston SC and here is the casualty list so far:
Fresh water tank overflowing while hooked up to city water. Not a problem that needs fixing right now. It's either the 4 way valve or the pump check valve. I'll work it when we get home.
Living room slide top D bulb seal slips out and waves in the breeze. The aft end of it won't stay in the track. I'll keep putting silicone in the track and replace the seal at home.
One side of the top freezer drawer handle fell off. Put it back on but still very loose.
Found one of the sink covers on the floor after a day of driving. Bought blue painters tape at WalMart today.
Found pantry door open and wire basket contents dumped on the floor after a day on the road. Wired the basket closed and bought bungee cords for the door.
Still need to get to Charlotte and maybe Maryland, then home.
**Updates to follow as needed**

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Txgerhead, we've had some of the same issues as you have had. The D seal needs to be attached by a screw and a fender washer in both ends to keep it in place.

The freezer drawer handle uses a hex-head driver, I think #2? Number my be wrong, I've slept since I bought it.

TXgearhead

Txgerhead, we've had some of the same issues as you have had. The D seal needs to be attached by a screw and a fender washer in both ends to keep it in place.

The freezer drawer handle uses a hex-head driver, I think #2? Number my be wrong, I've slept since I bought it.

The end of the seal is getting pretty beat up. I removed the screw and tried to run it through the complete seal instead of just the back part in the track and the screw didn't want to do that. I found 35ft of seal on Amazon and will buy that when I get back. It had 1 screw and no washer. I agree it needs a screw on both ends and fender washers.
I just slipped the freezer handle back on and we don't pull on that end. Not sure how to fix it yet. I may have looked at it 2 minutes. Looks like it just pops on over the screw head.

CDN

B and B
Hello,

A brand new Unit or just some issues on this trip? I had to tighten my freezer and door handle. We also found the one sink cover over on the recliner after a very rough stretch of road. Both are at home now, saves having to find a place for them. I had a D see slide down on my bedroom slide, as others have mentioned a screw with a washer is best. I have not had a water tank issue yet with the Aderson Valve but I carry a spare set of O rings just in case.

Good Luck making it home.

Brian

TXgearhead

It was built in April 2017, we bought it used in August 2019 from a local dealer. Supposedly a trade in on a motorhome.
Not sure if we have the same freezer handles. Our screw is completely hidden behind the handle. Looks like the handle just hangs on the screw. I'll play with it when we get home.
Im thinking the sink covers will either find a storage spot or be left at home.
One of my vertical seals slips down too.
It's just a camper. A few weeks a year as home away from home.

CoveredWagon

We store the sink covers vertically under the sink in the island while on the road. Works perfectly. They are nice to have in place when preparing a meal.

TXgearhead

The update..
We went from Charleston to Charlotte, then back home via I-95 and I-10.
After one of the travel days we opened the door to discover the living room TV swinging freely. The little latch had failed. No apparent damage to the TV. I first thought I would install small D loops and tie the TV by looping small rope over it, tied to the D loops. After buying parts I discovered the shelf that I was going to attach the D loop to was paper thin. Then realized the shelf wasn't an inch thick as first appeared, but really was 2 thin luan sheets with a void between them. What the heck, I'll just redneck this. I drilled 3/8" holes through both shelves and tied parachute cord over the TV. It worked. On Monday I called Heartland and they are shipping me a new latch. But I'll keep the parachute cord handy.

esscobra

in the last few months only have been having top d-seal slide back partially - dealer installed new one - screws/washer both end- worked about a month then still slid back partially- so used eternabond and silicone to make end cap of sorts to keep wind from getting in there - holding well past few months

TXgearhead

Apparently after several tries I got enough silicone on the seal to hold it from Savannah to Liberty. Also found the tiny torx set screws, T10, that hold the Insignia freezer doors on. I had to use a Torx driver with a small diameter shank because the set screws are recessed quite deep. Tightened them up and the handle seems ok.

Last edited:

RickL

The update..
After one of the travel days we opened the door to discover the living room TV swinging freely. The little latch had failed. No apparent damage to the TV. I first thought I would install small D loops and tie the TV by looping small rope over it, tied to the D loops. After buying parts I discovered the shelf that I was going to attach the D loop to was paper thin. Then realized the shelf wasn't an inch thick as first appeared, but really was 2 thin luan sheets with a void between them. What the heck, I'll just redneck this. I drilled 3/8" holes through both shelves and tied parachute cord over the TV. It worked. On Monday I called Heartland and they are shipping me a new latch. But I'll keep the parachute cord handy.

Our Oshkosh came with a “travel latch” (for the lack of the exact name) that slides over the regular latch that holds the tv. At first I had no idea what the chuck of metal was for but eventually figured it out. The one time I didn’t slide it in place cost me a tv as it apparently flew open but was latched when we arrived at our destination. How do I know? There was a line of dead pixels perfectly in line where the tv would have hit the pantry edge.

TXgearhead

I was surprised that the TV wasn't broken.
Best I can tell I have only 1 latch. There is a rod , maybe 3/16" diameter, that sticks out of the bottom left side of the TV support frame. The latch captures the rod. The latch has a small, 1/2" X 1/2"?, push spot that releases it from the rod. About as robust as a rubber band. Very poor design.

TXgearhead

Our Oshkosh came with a “travel latch” (for the lack of the exact name) that slides over the regular latch that holds the tv. At first I had no idea what the chuck of metal was for but eventually figured it out. The one time I didn’t slide it in place cost me a tv as it apparently flew open but was latched when we arrived at our destination. How do I know? There was a line of dead pixels perfectly in line where the tv would have hit the pantry edge.

I was emailing Heartland for a replacement latch and they offered 2 choices. One included a rod, a chain with a "disc" and another un-identifiable part. That didn't look anything like I had. The other choice looked more like the stamped metal latch I had, so I bought that. Haven't received it yet.

wdk450

I have used these small rectangular mending plates as a better substitute for the washers holding the ends of the slide D seals. You can even put in a 2nd screw, if you like.
mending plate.jpg

pegmikef

The update..

On our first major RV trip in our then brand new Landmark Oshkosh, the tv latch just pulled out of the wall and was hanging from the broken tv. I found the same model at a Best Buy near Mission, TX, bought and installed it, then reinforced the wall so the screws would not pull out and stabilized the latch so it didn't move when you latched the TV. Sent pictures and filed a warranty claim with Heartland and they reimbursed me the cost of the TV. Since that time, the latch started weakening and mechanically wasn't working very well, so I stopped using it and now use a Velcro strap attached to the bookcase to hold the tv in place. Easier and there is no doubt that it is locked down. (bedroom TV came with Velcro straps anyway).

TXgearhead

On our first major RV trip in our then brand new Landmark Oshkosh, the tv latch just pulled out of the wall and was hanging from the broken tv. I found the same model at a Best Buy near Mission, TX, bought and installed it, then reinforced the wall so the screws would not pull out and stabilized the latch so it didn't move when you latched the TV. Sent pictures and filed a warranty claim with Heartland and they reimbursed me the cost of the TV. Since that time, the latch started weakening and mechanically wasn't working very well, so I stopped using it and now use a Velcro strap attached to the bookcase to hold the tv in place. Easier and there is no doubt that it is locked down. (bedroom TV came with Velcro straps anyway).
Thanks. I had Velcro in my hand in Walmart when searching for a solution. I'm going to look at the problem again after I get the new latch.
I was in the Navy with Eddie Maxwell from San Angelo. 1972?

TXgearhead

I keep one of these 35 FOOT double sided velcro rolls on hand from Harbor Freight tools. Only $7 for 35 feet of velcro!!! Handy for DIY retainer straps ( I made one for my trash can at the end of the kitchen island that also holds the trash bag liners in place), hose and cable tie-ups, etc. It can be clamped and glued with super glue to make loops. https://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-q...oop-cable-strap-96215.html?_br_psugg_q=velcro[/QUOTe
Good thinking. I'll look for it my next trip.